xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
serverph

Google Chrome - The Operating System Yes, Chrome O.S. - coming very soon

Why are Google so attracted to trying to win over Microsoft? I'm guessing their OS will be rubbish and crappy. I'd actually rarther stay with Windows and/or Linux. Google may be bigger then Microsoft, but Microsoft is good in a way for making Windows. I like it.

microsoft came a long way, i just don't like their business ethics. i wish i had gotten involved with linux a long time ago as i hate supporting ms and don't really feel like learning a whole new os.

if google gets in the market of os's, i seriously doubt it will be crappy. i think it will be innovative and that much closer in closing the gaps. i personally support google. as far as google creating their own os, i don't think there has been that much talk on the subject. could it just be rumors? or maybe the idea could come to a halt as quick as the idea came to mind. i don't really think anything has been set in stone with any google os.

Why are Google so attracted to trying to win over Microsoft? I'm guessing their OS will be rubbish and crappy. I'd actually rarther stay with Windows and/or Linux. Google may be bigger then Microsoft, but Microsoft is good in a way for making Windows. I like it.

Hard choice to me.. Right now I'm dual booting Linux and Windows, and I use Windows *only* for gaming. It has no other use for me.I guess if Chrome's OS was to allow Windows games to work (Come on, Google has billions of dollars, they can emulate DX or whatever) I would most likely rather run that than Windows and Linux.If it still does not support gaming then I have no use for it, :(.

Hi guys,

Well this is something I don't think anyone really knows that a Google OS is in the process of being made, It is up against the Famous Microsoft Windows editions.

This will not be used for main PC's as yet however will be available for notbooks in 2010

Google said netbooks with Chrome OS could be on sale by the middle of 2010.

Now Google is expanding is it expanding to much for there good?

Although there web browser Google chrome was a great successes advertising and popularity wise, Are they over stepping the point of what Google is made for?

Well I think its great that they are expanding they should earn more money and make more cool and great projects like this.

Full article below.

- Ash.

Google to launch operating system

By Maggie Shiels

Technology reporter, BBC News, Silicon Valley Posted Image

Posted ImageGoogle is developing an operating system (OS) for personal computers, in a direct challenge to market leader Microsoft and its Windows system.

Google Chrome OS will be aimed initially at small, low-cost netbooks, but will eventually be used on PCs as well.

Google said netbooks with Chrome OS could be on sale by the middle of 2010.

"Speed, simplicity and security are the key aspects of Google Chrome OS," the firm said in its official blog.

The operating system, which will run on an open source licence, was a "natural extension" of its Chrome browser, the firm said.

The news comes just months before Microsoft launches the latest version of its operating system, called Windows 7.

'Back to basics'

"We're designing the OS to be fast and lightweight, to start up and get you on to the web in a few seconds," said the blog post written by Sundar Pichai, vice-president of product management, and Google's engineering director Linus Upson.

Posted ImagePosted ImageSo at long last Google is making its move. It is poised to strike at the heart of Microsoft's software empire. Posted Image

Tim Weber, Business editor, BBC News website Posted Image

Charge of Google's light brigade Both men said that "the operating systems that browsers run on were designed in an era where there was no web" and that this OS was "our attempt to rethink what operating systems should be".

To that end, the search giant said the new OS would go back to basics.

"We are completely redesigning the underlying security architecture of the OS so that users don't have to deal with viruses, malware and security updates.

"It should just work," said Google.

Google already has an operating system for mobile phones called Android which can also be used to run on netbooks. Google Chrome OS will be aimed not just at laptops but also at desktops for those who spend a lot of time on the web.

'Truly competitive'

The announcement could dramatically change the market for operating systems, especially for Microsoft, the biggest player with around 90% share.

"This announcement is huge," said Rob Enderle, industry watcher and president of the Enderle Group.

"This is the first time we have had a truly competitive OS on the market in years. This is potentially disruptive and is the first real attempt by anyone to go after Microsoft.

"Google is coming at this fresh and, because it is based on a set of services that reside on the web, it is the first really post-web operating system, designed from the ground up, and reconceived for a web world," Mr Enderle told the BBC.

Posted ImagePosted ImageIt's a few hours since Google used its company blog to announce its entry into the operating systems market, and already opinion is strongly divided Posted Image

Rory Cellan-Jones

BBC's technology correspondent Posted Image

Read Rory's thoughts in full Last year Google launched the Chrome browser, which it said was designed for "people who live on the web - searching for information, checking e-mail, catching up on the news, shopping or just staying in touch with friends".

Stephen Shankland at CNET said the move had widespread implications.

"One is that it shows just how serious Google is about making the web into a foundation not just for static pages but for active applications, notably its own such as Google Docs and G-mail.

"Another, it opens new competition with Microsoft and, potentially, a new reason for anti-trust regulators to pay close attention to Google's moves."

Some commentators said Google's motivation in all this was pretty clear.

"One of Google's major goals is to take Microsoft out, to systematically destroy their hold on the market," said Mr Enderle.

"Google wants to eliminate Microsoft and it's a unique battle. The strategy is good. The big question is, will it work?"

At the popular blog, TechCrunch, MG Siegler said: "Let's be clear on what this really is. This is Google dropping the mother of all bombs on its rival, Microsoft."

Microsoft releases Windows 7 later this year to replace Windows Vista and Windows XP, which is eight years old.

The Redmond-based company claims that 96% of netbooks run Windows to date.

Out of beta

In a separate announcement Google also revealed that many of its most popular applications had finally moved out of trial, or beta, phase.

Gmail, for example, has worn the beta tag for five years.

"We realise this situation puzzles some people, particularly those who subscribe to the traditional definition of beta software as being not yet ready for prime time," wrote Matthew Glotzbach, the director of product management in the official Google blog.

The decision to ditch the beta tag was taken because the apps had finally reached the "high bar" mark, he wrote.

More than 1.75 million companies use Google apps, according to the firm.

BBC News Article

Google official blog post on this is http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ .
What it looks like is that it will be a supper small version of linux, that runs 1 program, google chrome. All the applications that are in the os will be web based.

Faq form google.

We've been getting a number of questions in reference to our 'Introducing the Google Chrome OS' blog post, and so here are a number of your most frequently asked Qs – along with our As. We'll be sure to add more to this list as popular questions come in.
Is Google Chrome OS free?
Yes – Google Chrome OS is an open source project and will be available to use at no cost.

What companies is Google working with to support Google Chrome OS?
The Google Chrome OS team is currently working with a number of technology companies to design and build devices that deliver an extraordinary end user experience. Among others, these companies include Acer, Adobe, ASUS, Freescale, Hewlett-Packard, Lenovo, Qualcomm, Texas Instruments, and Toshiba.

I'm a developer – how can I work with you?
Thanks for your interest. Later this year, the Google Chrome OS code will be open sourced. We're looking forward to working with the open source community and making our own small contribution to the great work being done out there. Please stay tuned.

If you are interested in a full time position as a software engineer please visit the jobs pages for the following offices and indicate that you are interested in Chrome.

* Mountain View, US
* San Francisco, US
* Kirkland, US
* Santa Monica, US
* Reston, US
* Montreal, CA
* Aarhus, DK
* London, UK
* St. Petersburg, RU
* Tokyo, JP

Posted by Sundar Pichai, VP Product Management and Linus Upson, Engineering Director

Edited by Tombomb318 (see edit history)

Will we be able to install FF and run it inside chrome OS :excl:

Who's gonna use chrome? It doesn't have ad blocker. It's just a new way for google so that they can get more income from ad :( If they're going to make a new linux, then I'll say great. But they're just gonna make cloud OS, I'm barely think that I will use that.

No offense here, just wanna say my opinion :angel:

Google official blog post on this is http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ .

What it looks like is that it will be a supper small version of linux, that runs 1 program, google chrome. All the applications that are in the os will be web based.

it will be free, or at least somebody will make it free becaouse it will be distributed as open source.

will google os be free?? or will it have any price?? I wish it can free.