xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

Help me to remove Fake Anti-Virus Report: Fake Antivirus Programs Claim 30 Million Victims

Help me to remove Fake Anti-VirusReport: Fake Antivirus Programs Claim 30 Million Victims

A few days ago my friend paid and installed a FAKE Anti-Virus (System Security) on her computer. She did not know it was Fake Anti-Virus. We noticed that when she told me "I installed Anti-Virus"

My question is:Is there one way to file a complaing against these people?How can we get our money back?This company is still doing business in this day. 

-reply by Servando

As for file a complain good luck as those kind of people are usually untraceable, you don't get your money back and we would need a name of this company to see what could be done if they are notorious about it.

I'm guessing the software in question simply has the name 'Antivirus 2009' which is actually malware. It pops up and warns you that there are a lot of viruses in your computer and that you need to buy their software to remove them immediately. Users normally get scared seeing the long (and fake) list of viruses that it displays so some of them fall in the trap and actually buy the "software" which is nothing but more malware. I don't think there is any way to complain against the "company" because if that were possible it would have been done long ago (this problem is several years old). If you're looking to remove this, perhaps this page might be of help.

Also, advise your friend to only trust reputed anti-virus software like AVG, BitDefender, etc. and not fall for these traps.

You have to look out for scaams like these, there are so many out there. Use one which you know is used by other people.Getting your money back wouldbe difficult to impossible. If you paid via paypal or a similar service you could request a refund via that, and they would make an investigation. Otherwise its difficult.

If your friend is still having problems, suggest her to download malwarebytes' anti-malware (you can find a download link in google easily). It's a free and very useful anti-malware as the name says, it works really good. I don't have to use these too much lately, but I once needed it and it worked just fine. Careful with fake antivirus.

You're pretty much screwed. You're not going to get your money back and you have no real hopes of pursuing legal matters with the company since the whole thing is a scam technique aimed at less-than-computer-literate folks.The best thing you can do right now is to inform others of this sort of thing to make sure that no one else falls for it. You should NEVER, EVER take matters into your own hands when confronted with suspicious behavior on the computer if you are not Internet or computer savvy... it can lead to identity theft, loss of money, and even allowing for your sensitive information in the wrong hands. In case anything ever happens again, take the matter to your local geek... and if you don't have a friend who's smart with computers, make some. They'll prove valuable to you over time, time and time again.You could possibly try to press charges, but most likely you're not going to get anywhere, since the company itself would be a front for an individual who employed the tactic. You're better off licking your wounds and having learned a lesson the hard way.

Reply to Saint_Michael & Fake AntivirusHelp me to remove Fake Anti-Virus

My Norton 360 has blocked intrusion attempts of this "HTTP Fake Antivirus Install Request 4" the last two nights--about 2 a.M. US Central time--and both times I used my Active WhoIs Program to locate the IP address (193.169.234.4). A destination IP address was shown as JAN(192.168.0.2.1073, but its location could not be found). The first night it was from a company in Turkey (its website was in Turkish, which I could not read), and last night it was from TITAN NET from Kingston, Jamaica!! An internet search led me to their website and their mailing address (45 Halfway Tree Road; Kingston 5,Jamaica), along with an email address to report abuse (it is abuse@jm-int.Org). The information my Active WhoIs said it was a Jamaican Research Company. I sent them an email about the intrusion attempt leading me to them.

Could this intrusion be connected to the so-called "Personal Antivirus" trojan that says your computer is infected and urges you to spend $80 for their non-existent removal software?? If so, I had to spend $300 to have Norton technicians remove it from my computer 3 times ($100 each time) during June-August, 2009. It STILL keeps popping up when I am on certain webpages, but I just close the webpage. I heard this Personal Antivirus began in Malaysia.

I guess what I am asking is how can someone like me, who has a very limited income due to disability do to prevent these attacks?? 

Janice Johnson--Shenandoah, Iowa

-reply by Janice Johnson