xisto Community
gisellebebegirl

Wisdom Teeth Extraction

Since im sure some confused kid is going to try to google everything about this.. and will be scared out of their mind LIKE I WAS, im going to post about my actual experience.Well, my appointment was at 9:30, i had all 4 impacted wisdom teeth, which means extraction for all of them**Dont be scared to do all 4! my bestfriend has the same problem as me, and wants to have hers done on 2 appointments, which is stupid, i asked my doctor, and its the exact same recovery ether way! but if you want to go through it all twice.. be my guest (:When i walked into the office, i was immediately sent to a room (yes i was so panicked), they first show you a video to clear things up, aka why your having it done, etc and to clear that its not as painfull as most say it is!!After that i was taken to get x-rays to make sure one more time.. (throught the whole process i was constanly asked if i had to go to the bathroom.. so i suggest you go, even if you dont have to!)next after waiting for about 30 minutes.. i was redirected to the surgery room... (yes surgery)... i was shocked, i was expecting to be put to sleep with gas or something (like in finding nemo ;p) but enstead my doctor placed a breathing device on me.. (You know those pointie tubes they put on peoples noses during surgery? or at hospitals? those haha), next i was attached to a preassure giving thing (My arm, it would squeeze everytime i started freaking out), next i was hooked to a machine by 5 sticker looking things (a couple on chest, stomach, and sides) followed by the horrible IV shot (intervenial.. i guess they hook a needle to your arm or something, honestly i did not want to even look), next a heartbeat machine was placed.. and 5 minutes later the nurse came and placed the anesthesia through the IV opening... a part which i do not remmeber...i woke up and was in a different room with ice on my cheeks, i did not have pain, i was just sleepy.. shortly after i was placed on a wheelchair and taken to the car..got home, took my antibiotics and painkillers (squashed and mixed with water... i just cannot swallow pills)... shortly i fell asleep.. woke up, and was still drowsie, not a lot of pain, pain killers take care of that, MY CHEEKS WERE HUGE THOUGH, and i mean HUGE, you will constantly feel like your starving, (heads up), but the minute you eat anything will feel like you just ate a cow(it is day 5) now, and my diet has consisted, of tons of water, juices, yogurt, ice cream, soup and oatmeal, i have not even tried to chew anything, as a matter of fact i cannot fully open my mouth yet, and laughing hurtsmy whole mouth is still sore though.. (i am now off painkillers by choice) the painkillers can cause you to become constipated, aka you cannot go do number 2 ;p, which for me was way more painfull that the mouth pain... your mouth will just feel like you just had braces on, or had them tightnen, which i had braces before, so i can cope with ithope this cleared things for some ;p

Edited by gisellebebegirl (see edit history)

I'm surprised they hooked you up to all that stuff. It definitely wasn't like that for me. Makes me wonder what kind of dentists we have here.. I did read that my province was equal to a third world country in some statistics lol.It's hard to believe all they did for me was pull my teeth out and send me out the door and you had a wheel chair and heart monitors and everything.. lolGlad to hear you survived though, did they give you a present? I got a "ninja tooth" sticker! Oooh, aaah. Beat that.Crushing a pill and mixing it with water works? I tried that and the crushed pill stuff just sunk to the bottom, maybe it depends on which one..

Hi!@giselle, you certainly got the VIP treatment!My tooth extraction was for fitting braces. It just involved injecting anesthetics directly into the mouth after which the whole area went numb. Then, the dentist pulled out the teeth with what I could've sworn were a pair of pliers. I was sent out the door with some cotton on my gums and an ice pack.Apart from having painkillers and avoiding solid food for a week, things were pretty normal. There was the 'empty' feeling in my gums for a while but then the feeling just went away and the gums covered themselves up... eventually the braces forced other teeth into the spot so you'd barely be able to tell that there was a tooth extraction.Extraction of teeth isn't as bad as it sounds. Apart from the syringe, it's a pretty pain-less procedure.@rob86I didn't get my ninja tooth sticker :-(I would've appreciated it if they would've at least given my a blue tooth dongle :-PRegards,Nitin Reddy

That doesn't sound too bad! I hope your mouth starts to feel better soon.Ninja tooth sticker?! I'm trying to imagine what that would look like... A ninja ripping out a tooth? A tooth dressed as a ninja? I think the heart monitors and wheel chairs have more to do with the anesthesia than the actual extraction. And at least where I'm from, the like knocking people out to remove impacted teeth, or if you have any sort of health issue (including common things like asthma and heart murmurs) that would make a dentist nervous to use gas in an office without the availability of emergency support. I was also expecting gas, and then my doc came in and said, "Meet your friend, the anesthesiologist. He's here to get you high." I don't remember much after that, although apparently I was still conscious and walked into the operating room and laid on the table under my own power. If only I could replicate that feeling legally (and skip the part where they ripped stuff out of my jaw), work would be AWESOME.

Glad everything went well and that you are feeling great.But you know I'm surprised that you didnt realize they were going to give you general anesthesia. Wasn't all of this explained to you? Impacted teeth are usually removed this way.Hope your cheeks are less swollen and soon before you know it you'll be eating regular food again :(

@Moogie well i was kinda explained, but for me, in my head general anesthesia clicked no signal that it was going to be an IV procesudure hahaha (even though i did take a veterenary assistant course where we went over all the terms ;p)odd.. no sticker sadly. i got a weird looking "shot" looking thingie though