xisto Community
onscreen

Microsoft Announced Price For Windows 7. Will You Buy It?

Microsoft unveiled the retail pricing structure of its upcoming Windows 7 operating system, and its three important variants: Home Premium, Professional, and Ultimate, elaborating on the pricing on both the upgrade and full versions. Microsoft also announced that customers buying PCs pre-installed with existing versions of Windows from select sources (retailers or OEMs), will be able to upgrade to Windows 7 at "little or no cost". The company also announced that select retailers in certain markets will be able to offer for a limited period of time, a pre-order discount scheme that can reduce the price by as much as 50 percent.
Here are the prices (in USD):

* Windows 7 Home Premium - $199.99 (full version), $119.99 (upgrade)
* Windows 7 Professional - $299.99 (full version), $199.99 (upgrade)
* Windows 7 Ultimate - $319.99 (full version), $219.99 (upgrade)

Microsoft also detailed the global availability of the OS, and in different languages. The English version will launch on October 22. PC OEM vendors will be able to start shipping PCs pre-installed with the OS on the same day. Apart from the English version, Windows 7 in Spanish, Japanese, German, French, Italian, Dutch, Russian, Polish, Brazilian Portuguese, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese and Chinese (Hong Kong), will be available on the same day. Windows 7 in Turkish, Czech, Portuguese, Hungarian, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Finnish, Greek, Ukrainian, Romanian, Arabic, Lithuanian, Bulgarian, Estonian, Slovenian, Hebrew, Thai, Croatian, Serbian Latin, and Latvian, will be available on October 31.

Source : http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Seems like the price is the same as Vista. Despite the horrible launch of Vista and its poor end-use, Windows 7 worth more than the price tag given. Another good thing is no further increment on the price :( I would get my hands on the OEM license than buying the boxed version. Windows 7 Professional is good enough for me.

Source : http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Seems like the price is the same as Vista. Despite the horrible launch of Vista and its poor end-use, Windows 7 worth more than the price tag given. Another good thing is no further increment on the price :( I would get my hands on the OEM license than buying the boxed version. Windows 7 Professional is good enough for me.

I dont know much about windows 7,
I dont know whether it deserves the price tag of so much,
could any one guide me if it is worth to buy windows 7?

Linux distro war? :excl: SLACKWARE! :angel:
back on topic, there is a link floating around where you can pre-order windows 7 at a 50 percent discount. i'm on mobile so i can't copy and paste the link here, but check out the tweet by wilw (wil wheaton, https://mobile.twitter.com/i/nojs_router?path=%2Fwilw%2F) for the link. :( grab the chance at a big discount if you're ready to embrace this new MS OS.

My bad... Hard to edit via mobile so just remove the close parenthesis in the url :(

Lazy Link for M$

Shameless self-advertisement: If anyone wants to follow me on Twitter, I just tweeted the link too. :(

It's funny that the discount only applies to Home Premium and Home Professional... you know that most geeks would hope for a discount on the Ultimate version, but sadly, it has no discount.

Guess M$ is really pushing to introduce people to Windows 7. From what everyone else is saying, it should bring some promise and better light on M$ now that we actually have a viable upgrade option from XP Professional. :angel:

Seems pretty cheap, although No I wont buy it.I will wait for the first Service Pack to be released, then I will buy it. For now I will stick to Vista. Since vista has gone through 2 service packs, it is very functional. Personally the beta of Windows 7 didn't appeal to me as much as I expected it to. Windows 7 beta still had a problem of having too many processes running.

I most likely will not be moving to Windows 7...I recently took up the Linux train and I must say I love it compared to Windows. It is just as easy to use but has *easier* to install programs and stuff (for newbies), more control (for elitests), and just works much better.... The speed is faster, the memory management is much better, etc.Right now the only reason I am using Windows is as a dual-boot for Aion.The only time I will ever consider making the "upgrade" to Windows 7 will be if there is a game not supported by Linux.

YEah I saw that as well, $50 upgrade for Vista Premium to Win 7 Premium and then so on and so forth. Although I will try to get a student discount on maybe Windows 7 Profession, because I want FEATURES!! Besides my 750GB computer needs to be filled up and thats what I plan to do. Though I am tempted to triple boot on my Laptop with its 200GB hard drive, I rather keep this machine working and not crap out on me and stuff :(.

My My My...There is a catch you can only get this deal til July 11th on the US and of course if your a 2000 or XP user, you need to back up and then clean install on your machine. OF course, if your running 2000 then odds are your machine is not going to be running Windows 7 unless you got a brand new machine and then installed Windows 2000 on it.

YEah I saw that as well, $50 upgrade for Vista Premium to Win 7 Premium and then so on and so forth. Although I will try to get a student discount on maybe Windows 7 Profession, because I want FEATURES!! Besides my 750GB computer needs to be filled up and thats what I plan to do. Though I am tempted to triple boot on my Laptop with its 200GB hard drive, I rather keep this machine working and not crap out on me and stuff :(.
My My My...There is a catch you can only get this deal til July 11th on the US and of course if your a 2000 or XP user, you need to back up and then clean install on your machine. OF course, if your running 2000 then odds are your machine is not going to be running Windows 7 unless you got a brand new machine and then installed Windows 2000 on it.

I wouldn't suggest using "upgrade" anyways... The existing OS's always leave behind crap that doesn't belong or need to be there. Even XP.

It's like...

*installs version 1*
***Installer loads 20 programs***

Version 2 has been released
*upgrades to version 2*
***3 programs are not needed from version 1. Installs 15 more on top of the 20 existing, leaving 35. A clean install would have only 32***

Only it's on a much higher scale. For people who think their PC's boot/run speed is important, fresh installs are the only way to go.

Along with that, you are recommended by HDD manufacturers and OS gurus to do fresh OS installs every year anyways. The reformatting (if using Windows) clears out fragmentation, leaving less wear and tear on the HDD from accessing files casually - or especially when gaming.

Just a little side info to anyone who is planning to "upgrade" instead of fresh install.