xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Waqas ahmed

Fire Fox Running Slow

I have windows xp service pack 2 and I've mozilla fire fox 3.0.1 but when ever I start firefox it takes a long time to start.It takes about about 3-4 minutes before it shows up,It is so annoying and I can't find a solution.Is it normal for the fire fox to run slowly on windows xp or what i don't know,need some one to help me out.

Odds are its your computer and that it needs a deep cleaning of trash files, removal of software you never use, cleaning of viruses/spyware/malware etc.As for software to help you out with thatSpybotCCcleanerGlary UtilitiesDefragglerNow if these programs don't help speed up your computer, it could be time to reinstall the operating system to give it a deep clean. Usually you do that after a year of non stop use, of course if your computer is been running a few years then a hardware replacement would happen. Usually you just want to replace the RAM especially if its a laptop and that will help increase the speed of your computer somewhat.However, if it is a desktop then you could replace the hard drive, Processor, RAM, of course then you have to go in the processor of registering your copy of windows. Also if you take the reinstallation of your OS, update to XP SP3 and that will clean up all the hotfixes you might have installed over time and you will be better updated with some added speed.

What's the RAM count for your machine? I have the similar setup with 1.5GB and my Firefox is loading pretty quickly (under 5 seconds). When I say loading, the act of clicking on the Firefox icon and the browser ready to go.Try lowering the offline storage if you have a broadband connection (Tools > Options > Advanced). I have mine set at 1MB.Disable those java search and java plugin for the new Firefox (it's that URL/history helper). It's not only annoying, I just don't have the patience for it. (Tools > Add-ons > Extensions > disable Java Quick Starter)I also disabled my DNS client for Windows XP, especially you have been using Spybot or other anti-spyware programs. You may have such a huge HOSTS file that can slowdown the browser bootup time. Now many will argue but I surf the internet without any issue even with DNS client turned off. This DNS client basically resolves your URL to proper address location. It's not necessary if you visit the same pages often. It may become annoying when you type in the correct URL but it shows it cannot find it. I have the fortune of having an ISP providing me with good DNS gateway. So I'm not worried. (Start > Run > services.msc > find DNS client and disable).

Normally people say "oh go type about:config and change this.... and this..... and this. And so on". Well thats just putting you at high risk of wreaking your Firefox setup. My main recommendation is to buy more RAM and put it in your system. Anyone these days with over 2GB of RAM will have no more slow loading problems with Firefox.

Wait for version 4.0. It will be faster, they promises. I noticed a distinct change when switching to the beta... and then I skinned it and it all went away ;(

Normally people say "oh go type about:config and change this.... and this..... and this. And so on". Well thats just putting you at high risk of wreaking your Firefox setup

i've never heard such drivel in my life.
they're simple preference settings.

My main recommendation is to buy more RAM and put it in your system. Anyone these days with over 2GB of RAM will have no more slow loading problems with Firefox.

please don't reply unless you know what you are talking about.
also, READ about the topic you're replying to before replying.
Firefox is well known for leaking memory like a laughing nun with a weak bladder.
why should you go out and feed your machine more RAM because of one app?

mozilla don't make FF properly and consequently it hemorrhages RAM.
after a short time it will bleed out into your precious 2GB as well.

OP HERE is how you fix it:

browser.cache.disk.capacity;768000 - optimum disk caching size for speed and stability

browser.cache.disk.enable;true - toggle disk memory on state. FF has bugs. needs to be manually started with this setting

browser.cache.memory.capacity;100000000 - change this to suit, proportional to your needs. my laptop is 11 years old with a p3 and 256MB of RAM so i've set it at 100MB.
browser.cache.memory.enable;true - again, FF needs the toggle switch set to on ESPECIALLY with this one as it's a known bug.

you see poster 2?
a little knowledge goes a long way.

my lappy's gone from a choke box that fails and freezes every 20 seconds to a lightweight kickboxer just from a little of the CORRECT information.

FFV - 10.1

protip: this is why it's good sometimes to have an older laptop or desktop around.
you can try tweaks and tickles and if the thing bites the big one it's no biggie because the unit is not mission critical.

my firefox has now gone from being my remarkably noticably slowest browser to the fastest, coolest and most efficient.

remember mozilla is a free-nerd based setup rather than commercial plookware with teams of programmers and k-locks of code.
inevitably they will occasionally cough up a buffalo.
that is WHY they made the config settings so fluid. so you could use some keywords and community savvy to fix your browser.

no need to thank me.
Edited by velma (see edit history)