xisto Community
xavier1280

Create A Topic For User Requests For users to ask specific questions

Hi Admin,Can we possibly have a thread in the main page, so users can request on specific topics for instance. I'm doing web development and there are few areas that i would need assistance with. For example. I am interested to know how to create a contact us page so when the users fill out that form and click submits, provided that it has form validation and submits to particular email. My Question in this case would be can we have the requests thread created and if someone is able to answer any specific query on the following topic and would assist many users in the forum.Thanks.

That's not a bad idea, but you could directly ask your questions in the related forums. In your case, there is a sub-forum called "Web Design" where you could directly ask all your web development queries. Similarly you could look for the appropriate forum to post your other questions. We already have a lot of forums and sub-forums and adding another could really make things a bit messy :(

Edited by kasperooney (see edit history)

Also, check the Tutorials Section. I am certain that you will find an email script in there. Several, actually.And if you need assistance with the specific tutorial, ask questions in the PHP Sub-Forum.

Thanks for the information Mod. I had recently created a topic in a sub forum called webdesign. I cannot seem to trace it or find that topic. Perhaps that topic needs to be accepted by Mods.My Question was simply to ask how to implement web conferencing and video conferencing. I have a client who has requested me to develop a website for a school that teaches Maths, English, Spelling and Reading.Their requirements was that they want to have web conferencing feature to conduct live meetings with students as well as virtual classroom would have all the resources for students to download tutorials, lecture notes, lab assessments and virtual classroom simulation labs from a web based application. Also lecturer needs to interact with students one on one remotely and creation of group discussion forum for students to interact with teachers and post relevant topics. Other simple requirements are students can upload their assignments from digital drop box that will automatically post to lecturer's email. I did some research and came across few packages called Electalive, Dim Dim, Moodle. But Still uncertain where to begin with???Thanks. Any help would be much appreciated.

The basics of web casting:

[video camera] --> [network interface] --> [user interface] --> [on screen]

Video Camera

Video camera can be anything: it depends on the quality or resolution. Due to the bandwidth issue, you may not want to have high resolution camera if smoothness of motion is higher factor. The difference is between a webcam and a HD camcorder. This is determined by the type of web cast.

Network Interface

Usually this device is a DVR or a server. DVR now a days has network control to broadcast. Simply follow the manufacture's direction and you can view any camera that's attached to this DVR. A server can do the same as long as the camera is IP based (which is easier) or directly attached to the server. IP based is easier since it only required to be attached to the network hub. This step probably requires router or firewall to trigger port forwarding to the camera.

User interface

This is simply granting internet (not intranet) to access the image. This can be the static IP address followed by the camera's port, i.e. 192.168.1.100:50000. Once this is established, you can either give this direct IP address for others to access, or embed the camera's image to any website. A sample of this description can be viewed here: Buffalo webcam (my favorite restaurant).

On Screen

The result is found on above's link.

It takes good amount of planning to get this right. You'll need a camera system that can be configured to internet access. You'll need to know how to configure port forwarding. And decide how to manage the image, either direct viewing or embed to a web page.

Basic form generation:

I cannot stress how easy this site is for creating a simple contact form.

It's bit tricky to use at first but all you have to do is first create a form's name. Then click on the form's name to create a page (multiple page is allowed). And then add fields to this page. Once the form is complete you can modify how it's going to be delivered (database, email, file) and overall style of the form.

Easy pickins...

PHP form generator