xisto Community
sheepdog

Computer Problem Cant clean out old files

Since I'm sure nearly everyone here is more conputer savy than I am, hopefully someone can explain to me what I am doing wrong. I am trying to clear out all my old files, in an attempt to get the computer to run a little faster/better, it's really been dragging the past few weeks. I go to accessories, system tools, disk clean up and it shows I have something like 2,337,454 KB that can be deleted, I tell it to delete and it does, (or says it has done them) but I can turn right around and do it again and I still get the same, or close the the exact same number of KB it says can be deleted again. Even if I do one right after the other. I even tried shutting down the computer after and defragging and nothing will make that number go away. Any helpful hints?

I believe, by default, it does not delete everything it can. There is an option to tick what you want deleted and what you want to keep. Go through it and see where all that space is being used, and see if it is marked for deletion. If not, check what it is and if you want to delete it, tick it then click OK.

IF YOU ARE USING XP THEN YOU SHOULD CLEARING YOUR TEMP FILES IN WINDOWS folder in c:\ (just an assumption)click on windows and search for temp files and then open it and select it all and then shift+del and your job is done.all the best

also use ccleaner.. and unlocker is a handy tool for buggy xp!

I will attest to CCleaner, and I'm sure most of us will agree with that sentiment. CCleaner will clean out your temporary folders, recycle bin, histories, and a ton of other stuff. (I don't think it compresses old files though.) You can also have it clean out invalid or unnecessary entries in your registry, which will contribute to the slowing down of XP over time due to all the crap that accumulates.

Startup programs and bloatware will help ease the loading times and the available memory being eaten up by unnecessary programs. With experience and time, you'll be able to determine what you don't need and what is essential to keeping your computer as you want it.

Just wanted to thank everyone for all their helpful ideas, after reading all the posts and getting some great ideas and other tricks to try I finally got the files to go by by. We sure have a good helpful bunch here at trap 17! Thanks again to all who helped!