xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
tinoymalayil

Why Am Unable To Install Internet Explorer 8 In Windows Xp Sp3?

virgin XP pro with SP3Why Am Unable To Install Internet Explorer 8 In Windows Xp Sp3?

I just rebuild a virgin virgin XP pro with SP3 and I can not install IE8. I have nothing running other than the OS and all the windows updates. No virus checker, no firewall, no nothing. I tried to remove SP3 and then install IE8 but after I reinstall SP3 it stops working.

-reply by Mark

Why Am Unable To Install Internet Explorer 8 In Windows Xp Sp3?Why Am Unable To Install Internet Explorer 8 In Windows Xp Sp3?I have come accross this issue many many times during work and the easiest method I have found is to upgrade from the default I.E6.0 to I.E.6.6 then to I.E.7.0 then to I.E.8.0 <-- following this procedure seems to work because I belive that I.E. 8 requires the original files from all of these previous versions first in order to complete the upgrade process - I.E. If the I.E.8 setup cannot find them - it will fail. 

-reply by johneb

IE8 installWhy Am Unable To Install Internet Explorer 8 In Windows Xp Sp3?

Hi guys,

I work in IT dept of a university and have had the problem of IE8 not installing a number of times... Sometimes it's due to a PC not having the latest .NET framework (3.5 with SP1) installed and sometimes it still requires another update, which it will happily download from microsoft.Com if you let it, during the IE installation procedure...

Hope that helps some of you...

-reply by Neels

I am unable to install IE 8 in Windows XP SP3..why it is happening?

I've experienced this too after being attacked by "XP restore" virus.
Fresh Windows installation should solve the problem.
I don't know other solutions.

I am unable to install IE8. While downloading a error box appears. It says "Internet Explorer cannot download IE8-WindowsXP-x86-ENU.exe from download.microsoft.com." Also it says "Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Pleasea try again later." Why is this happening?

I ran into the same problem installing a new install of Windows XP w/sp3. My Windows is a legit copy. I had the problem when installing the system and then going through the process of doing the Windows Updates. The only way I was able to get it to work was to do a clean install, then run Windows Update and do a Custom Update. Deselect all of the updates and then only check the IE8 install. This worked for me, then I ran Windows update again and did the rest of the updates. One of the other updates prevents the IE8 install from working but I don't know which one is doing it. I only know that if I do the ie8 install first, everything works. I will leave it to someone else with lots of time to figure out which update or updates is messing up the ie8 install. I hope this helps. It will work for new installs but I have no idea how to fix it so it will install on a system that is already had updates run.I was also able to install using WinXP w/sp2 and then doing the standalone SP3 upgrade. Then I was able to install IE8 with no problem. Seem to have this problem with specific hardware only. I had this problem with all Dell Optiplex GX620 boxes.I have this problem with all Dell Optiplex GX620 boxes. I was able to get it to work by installing XP w/SP2 and then downloading the SP3 update installer. Then everything installed correctly for IE8.

Edited by moderator (see edit history)