xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
frozen.fish

Windows Live Skydrive Mapping Network Drive

Hello all!Is it possible to map skydrive as a network drive? The windows live site is extremely slow for me, but 25GB of free space sounds great so any ways of integrating this to my desktop without installing anything..Many Thanks!

After searching the net up and down, no luck at all.. Also I am having troubles uploading huge files in all file hosting sites(yousendit,rapidshare, drop.io).. It always gets disconnected. Dont know whats wrong I think its my connection..

After searching the net up and down, no luck at all.. Also I am having troubles uploading huge files in all file hosting sites(yousendit,rapidshare, drop.io).. It always gets disconnected. Dont know whats wrong I think its my connection..

Most likely it is your connection, and can you post the size of what you are uploading.

In my opinion SkyDrive is just another one of Microsofts things. That you really don't need to use.

You can only use it for private use I believe and it will be scanned regularly, And I heard that uploading is slow as. My upload speed is 1.8mB/s this means I won't be supporting it.

what can you recommend for online file storage then cicala? Cant find anything better than microsoft one.. although im not really a fan of MS.Yes upload over skydrive is slow im having trouble uploading 30GB of files.I'm also using GMX right now it has 1GB free storage, no google drive please, exes are not allowed.

what can you recommend for online file storage then cicala? Cant find anything better than microsoft one.. although im not really a fan of MS.

Yes upload over skydrive is slow im having trouble uploading 30GB of files.

I'm also using GMX right now it has 1GB free storage, no google drive please, exes are not allowed.

Here's a great topic made by Sky and also 'upgraded' by others which contains all the bigger file storage options you have.

I'll recommend Dropbox to you. As I'm lazy to do another review of it, I'll just copy and paste what I told there:

It has a free plan with 2 GBs of absolutely free storage and it has a paid plan for $9.99 a month (or $99 a year) for 50 GBs of space. You can share, undelete, view all the edits, upload and download using the web interface and much more!

You also can refer new people to Dropbox and earn up to 3GB of extra space (250 MBs for a single referal) if you are a free user or up to 6 GBs (500 MBs for a single referal) if you are a subscriber. More info on the main site after you download the software and sign up from it after you install it B)

So that makes about 5 gigs of free space on which you can put documents, music, videos or whatever your soul wants it'll work on any computer :P

If you like, you can sign up under my account and Dropbox will give BOTH you and me additonal 250 MBs of extra space. Contact me via PM to give you my referral link. Edited by miladinoski (see edit history)

Dropbox is good and it does have a good system, along with the virtual drive on your windows px once you install their program but, according to my knowledge download files from all this kinds of services to upload/share files, once people start to upload big files, bigger then 50 or even 500 or 1.4 GB like megaupload allows free users to do so, most of this services then crash or the speed gets too low, and that happens because they do not have their service properly configured to support multiple connections at the same time with multiple downloads and uploads at the same time, and all that with big files.

The only services i know support big uploads and specially downloads, and the upload and download speed is good, at least reasonable, is:

. http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ - the best, really it is, nothing beats megaupload, not even rapidshare.com or uploading.com
. http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ - had a down time some weeks ago for some weeks i mean, but now is pretty good
. http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ - supports 300MB to download in one file, but you wait more for the next download allowed
. http://uploading.com/ - supports multiple downloads at the same time, 300 MB per ip or per day, got it!
. http://www.2shared.com/ - supports big files like megaupload and the speed is also the same, almost, megaupload is still the best
. http://www.4shared.com/ - great control panel, very cool tool they have for your pc, good service too
. http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ - it has been getting really popular nowadays, it is unlimited in downloads, max upload is 100 MB only though

I use all those to download and upload from where i hand arround, with people smart like me, he he he, mediafire.com is getting close to top3 services like this, but rapidshare.com is the most popular and used, they make a lot of money for sure, and they live up to its claims and critiques.

I mainly use rapidshare and megaupload, i have premium accounts and free accounts on both, megaupload was always the best till now, trust me.

need it in my network connections folder so those options are not so good.. i dont like installing stuff either..how come drop.io is not on the list? I use that one very often, works fast and great! mediafire too but lately gave me corrupted files.

that's quite old, i also heard that there was an official gmail drive or something don't know what happened..I dont think gmail is a reliable backup, it is against their TOS. your account might get closed down one day..

that's quite old, i also heard that there was an official gmail drive or something don't know what happened..
I dont think gmail is a reliable backup, it is against their TOS. your account might get closed down one day..

I have actually not used this application, as I do not use Gmail. May I add please read my last post as I said I haven't used it :P

And also it seems to be ok because the application is freeware and it is still an active project. I don't see how it is against ToS because it's been out for a while, It would have probably been deleted by now. B)

Anyway I'm not one those people that would know these things B)

gmail doesnt allow file storage for now im too lazy to go over the tos..

now i remember it was embed here in http://pgd.sourceforge.net/ you can also link it up with the posted url above.. it's cool and easy to use

but thanks for sharing cicala! gmail would have been a great file storage..

im using gmx for now but i dont find them a reliable company either but they have great features over there or almost the same as aol.

gmail does nto support of offer file storage like rapidshare or megaupload alike services, it is a waste of time considering it to use it as a download/upload files to share and vice-versa, nonetheless, it is the best to upload music files if you want to listen later in your own gmail inbox folder.

To use gmail as an online music file storage device player, you must use the gmail drive shell extension at:

Gmail drive shell extension - freeware
http://www.viksoe.dk/code/gmail.htm

It creates an extra drive on your computer, close to the drive c, where you must double-click to enter, then it pops up a login form to enter your gmail username and password data, then click enter.

When you are inside your gmail drive, you can create folders, edit folders, delete folders, you can drag and drop files there or just copy and paste files there, it is a drive, a virtual drive so to speak, so each file you drop there, it will upload to your gmail account, and if you create a folder with some music files, after the successful upload you will see that the software created e-mails in your inbox, then you just have to enter those e-mails the software created and play the songs uploaded with the google gmail online music player, right in your inbox/e-mail files.

There is a catch, there is an upload file limit of 4 or 5 MB's, but it is enough to upload one music file at a time in a specific folder you create, named as music or mp3.

I stoped using it when the pen drives came out with more then 1 GB, now it is pointless to me to use the gmail drive, but if you forget your pen, you can always go to your gmail drive in your gmail account and get your music files there or even other important documents you uploaded too, you can upload all kinds of files, as long as they have no virus of course. Be creative, i figure this thing by myself, the gmail music player, and icreated a topic a long time ago here at Xisto forums.

Windows Live Skydrive is good option for storing things online. But seriously i don;t think it is worth in comparison to amazon S3. though amazon s3 is paid service, it's better as you've control over your data. and if by any chance(like economic) slowdown Microsoft closed service then what will happen to data?this is where paid services like amazon s3 etc are much better than skydrive. earlier yahoo offered briefcase, but soon they shutdown the service and many members lost their files. so if you're serious for backup of your data then either upload it to trustworthy data service or purchase USB/HD. USB/HD come at very cheap rate these days. it only costs 70-80 $ for purchasing maxtor/seagate USB-HDD.In comparison to Microsoft live skydrive, 4shared/reapidshare/mihd/mediashare/ifile services are much better. they allow free hosting to files and you can keep your files private. and as they're getting paid from advertisers so they encourage more public shared quota than private one. so if you've any public files to share like your own software/design/etc then you can take benefit of those free file hosting services.

id prefer it online storage, just in case something goes bad, you know, also i also do keep extra backup but like right now cant find the usb where i stored it loland its easier to sync work files for work when i get my lappy! :P but skydrive had been slow just cant bear to use it.. using gmx for now and ftp from Xistobut ofcourse you cannot compare paid service with free one in terms of relability...

Edited by frozen.fish (see edit history)