xisto Community
aloKNsh

Run A Usb In Ubuntu! Cant coonect usb with ubuntu

hey i have installed ubuntu in my system and i connect my usb or flashdrive with my computer.......but its not being detected by ubuntu................what to do next........please help methank you very much

I would suggest looking on some Ubuntu Forums, as i have no idea what happened B). Mabye google the term "usb won't connect in ubuntu". Mabye the Usb drive is old, and the hardware is incompatible. There are alot of different things that can stop a usb from working on Linux, It has worked for me. I just posted these suggestions of actions you might want to take, thats all I can do :P

First of all is it all usb devices or is it just your flash drive? A "usb" does not automatically mean flash drive so stop calling it that because you sound like an idiot. If it is just an issue with your flash drive, it may just be that its file system is one that ubuntu can't recognize. If you have nothing important on the drive try reformatting it in a file system native to ubuntu such as ext2 or ext3. If you are able to read and write to it then, it may just be an issue with the filesystem you chose. Ubuntu should be able to read and write to NTFS, but if you cannot read and write to it you should be able to install a library that allows you to do so.

Standard (default) format for Ubuntu 8.10 is ext3.I have heard that 9.04 *may* have the capability of ext4 as an option, but I can't confirm that. New 9.04 will be available tomorrow... Yippee!

Automatic USB mounting by the desktop environment or file manager is mostly done through D-BUS. HAL is usually used for CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drives. Without a desktop environment or file manager, you would have to mount these things manually if there isn't already something in the background doing it for you. I am uncertain of the methods you are using to "detect" if it has been automatically mounted by the desktop environment or file manager, whether it be through a little notification or what-have-you, but you need to provide more information on why you believe it is not getting mounted.