xisto Community
aloKNsh

How To Clean Ubuntu? Free some space in Ubuntu

Hello every one......i am curretly using ubuntu 8.xxxxxand i have installed ubuntu from xp as any another application (as written while installing)........and allocated it 10 gb sapce in one of my hard disk (e dreive)my e drive is already showing 10 gb fully used in ubuntu from xp.....but in ubintu its showing somewhat 2 gb free although i have removed every file from ubuntu which i have downloaded from internet.......i am screwed to see it all the time and dont know which file to delete.....i am afraid that deleting any important file make my os (ubuntu) ruined so i exactly dont know which files are system files although i have removed all the files which i have made or downloaded..........Hope you all can understand what i meant to say........and i am waiting for the answer.............thank you very much..............

Hello every one......i am curretly using ubuntu 8.xxxxx
and i have installed ubuntu from xp as any another application (as written while installing)........and allocated it 10 gb sapce in one of my hard disk (e dreive)
my e drive is already showing 10 gb fully used in ubuntu from xp.....
but in ubintu its showing somewhat 2 gb free although i have removed every file from ubuntu which i have downloaded from internet.......
i am screwed to see it all the time and dont know which file to delete.....
i am afraid that deleting any important file make my os (ubuntu) ruined so i exactly dont know which files are system files although i have removed all the files which i have made or downloaded..........
Hope you all can understand what i meant to say........
and i am waiting for the answer.............
thank you very much..............

In simple terms, ignore what you see from windows - it cannot read the partition information. To access this drive and its files from Windows, you must install Wine or something similar.

The Linux partition however should be able to read the Windows one acurately. Windows will say that it is full because it cannot 'see' the thing properly... In other words, when Ubuntu tells you its run out of space then start do do something about it.

That small partition that is showing as Free, may be the Linux Swap partition, which you will not be able to access.The OS uses it for RAM and Page overflows. Even with a lot of RAM, you still require a Swap partition which Linux uses when the RAM is full.

i am curretly using ubuntu 8.xxxxx

8.04 or 8.10? Ubuntu doesn't use 'conventional' version numbering. The 8 represents the year (2008) and the 04 or 10 represents the month (April and October respectively) that the version was released.

my e drive is already showing 10 gb fully used in ubuntu from xp.....

This is because XP can't understand what is on that portion of the disk, so assumes it is full. It knows the size the partition is allocated, but not how much of that space it has used.

but in ubintu its showing somewhat 2 gb free although i have removed every file from ubuntu which i have downloaded from internet.......i am screwed to see it all the time and dont know which file to delete.....
i am afraid that deleting any important file make my os (ubuntu) ruined so i exactly dont know which files are system files although i have removed all the files which i have made or downloaded..........

Generally you are safe to delete anything within the /home directory. That directory holds all your personal files and settings, and is completely unrelated to the system. There are files in there that are hidden, generally settings files for applications, that you can also remove. Use your file manager to view hidden files, and you should see loads of folders appear. Delete ones for applications you don't use.

There is a useful program called Filelight, which I find incredibly useful, that shows where all your disk space is going. You can install it with Synaptic/Adept from the repositories (just search for "filelight").

As a matter of interest, everything on my computer system-related (ie. excluding my /home directory) takes up around 7.7GB at the moment. My home directory takes up 60GB... :P

In simple terms, ignore what you see from windows - it cannot read the partition information. To access this drive and its files from Windows, you must install Wine or something similar.

WINE is used to run Windows applications inside Linux, not the other way round.

On Ubuntu 8.10, there is a program installed by default that lets you measure disk usage. On the menu bar, go to Applications -> Accessories -> Disk Usage Analyzer. That will give you an idea of where the space is going. However, be aware that randomly deleting files from anywhere other than /home will probably result in problems somewhere down the line. If you want to remove applications, start up Synaptic (System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager) and see what is installed. At least that way, all dependants of a program / library will be removed when you delete it from the system.If you have questions as to whether a specific package (program or library) is safe to delete, post here to get a response.Regards,z.

How to increase allocated disk spaceHow To Clean Ubuntu?

hey everyone. I installed ubuntu 8.10 in vista business x64. I've fallen in love with I and was wondering if it is possible to increase the disk space I allocated to it. I gave it 10 Gb.

-question by Muji