xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ORene

Can Work Kill? what do you think?

Can work Kill?
In the following post I will talk about the effects of mental stress caused by working too much. In other words, I will explain why and under what conditions work can kill. I'll include some fragments of the reading I used.
Anything in excess is bad. It has been proved that work in excess can kill. Studies reveal that people, who work 11 hours or more, are more likely to have a heart attack than people who work from 7 to 9 hours. Factors that can increase the chances of having a heart attack are mental stress, bad work conditions, anger and worrying too much. In many countries they have made studies about it and they have found out that there is a direct relation between work hours and heart diseases.

The combination of high mental demands, low personal control and inadequate social supports is particularly worrisome .

This means that people are very affected by the stress they get at work, which can be more or can be less depending on the demands, his personal control and if he has social supports or not. What has been done in countries like Japan is that the enterprises, factories and such have improved work conditions a lot. Because good work conditions reduce stress. As a result, workers can labor longer and produce more. The anger is also a very important factor that damages your health. Therefore its vital to have good self control and dont stress out at work.

Men do not have to retire to protect their health

. The solution is not to stop working, the solution is to eat right, do exercise, and avoid addictions. Have constant medical checks are also a good thing to do. Also having distractions and recreation times are vital to keep yourself healthy. There must be a balance between work and recreation. Now ill briefly give my opinion on the article. I agree with the article, because Ive personally seen work kill someone. An uncle of mine died due to work stress. I have seen myself how work sometimes puts people under so much pressure that they start to have health problems. I also think the conditions in work factories must be good so the workers dont harm their health and also be more productive.
I found very interesting that studies have been made about it. It surprised me because I thought it was just a supposition that no one would pay attention to. Another thing that caught my attention was that Japanese work so much and have less stress. Proving that improved work conditions also improves production. Those aspects caught my attention because they are things that we have to take into consideration when having a lot of things to do, to take care of ourselves.

Hundreds of years from now they'll look at us as still being very primitive,almost cave man like.This whole ethic of work 9 to 5 and kill yourself just for killing your selfis really less than 200 years old.It began with the industrial revolution.Before that most people were rural. The only people that lived in the cities for the most part were politicians,royalty,aristocrats and the like. The average day to day life of the common man was much less stressful. The real work came planting crops and harvesting them.Other than that,they would have a few hours of chores to do everyday and that's it.It meant more time for actual peaceful friendly,human interaction,and much less stress. The industrial revolution meant oppression by the work lords.The same work lords who the anti-globalists are against today.Work lords are greedy selfish bastards who want people to worknot for necessity but for surplus, so the work lords can buy themselves anotheryacht or country home. I'm not a negative person,I'm actually an optimist but I just couldn'thelp but reply to this thread.

Work can kill outside of health reasons. For example, if you are a police officer or someone who has joined the army and are sent on duty to control a situation where the enemy is heavily armed. In this case health has nothing to do with whether or not you'd be killed—stress could be a factor on performance, but these people are usually trained to deal with such things. Good health, of course, isn't going to spare you from a gun shot, unless perhaps you have super human blood clotting abilities and the shot didn't hit a vital organ—but, of course, that kind of blood clotting is fictional.

Good health, of course, isn't going to spare you from a gun shot, unless perhaps you have super human blood clotting abilities and the shot didn't hit a vital organ—but, of course, that kind of blood clotting is fictional.

Actually, I've heard from many of my teachers that if you have a good general health, you have better chanses of survival from a hit to a vital orgin since your heart will still go on even tho (for example) if your blood isn't clean or if you have an infection. Good health usually also means that you have a good immune system. When a bullet hits your body, if it doesn't go through you but gets stuck in the middleway, your body will fill the damaged area by a fluid, I don't know wha it's called. Anyway, this fluid protects you from infection but it also causes damage in other tissues, heart, liver, kidneys and other. That's the main reason when someone dies from a gun shot if he doesn't die instantly. That fluid is acid-like and has a low pH.

So yea, good health can protect you dying until you get medical help.
Edited by baniboy (see edit history)

There are actually people who are incapable of working due to mental reasons. And not like "lol, you're crazy" or anything...Working can cause a lot of stress in some people. They can't handle the pressure of knowing everything they do is being watched by their boss and they can be fired if they screw up.I can't think of any other direct relations right now but there really are people like that...And as you should all already know, stress can cause health issues. Stress causes higher blood pressure which causes blood vessels to expand, possibly bursting.

Actually, I've heard from many of my teachers that if you have a good general health, you have better chanses of survival from a hit to a vital orgin since your heart will still go on even tho (for example) if your blood isn't clean or if you have an infection. Good health usually also means that you have a good immune system. When a bullet hits your body, if it doesn't go through you but gets stuck in the middleway, your body will fill the damaged area by a fluid, I don't know wha it's called. Anyway, this fluid protects you from infection but it also causes damage in other tissues, heart, liver, kidneys and other. That's the main reason when someone dies from a gun shot if he doesn't die instantly. That fluid is acid-like and has a low pH.
So yea, good health can protect you dying until you get medical help.

I'd be a bit surprised to see that the person was only shot once. Though i didn't make it entirely clear in my post, during the time i was writing what i said, i wasn't thinking about infections from the shots, but just damaging shots, those directed mostly to the body, not in the arms or legs, since "vital organs" aren't in the arms or legs. In the case of it missing the ribcage and hitting only soft parts, it can be expected for the bullet to go all the way through, therefore leaving two holes for blood to spill out from—this, of course, still assuming it was merely one bullet. It can also be the case that the blood could travel in areas that it will choke the person—but that may require bursting through the ribcage and entering the lungs. Also, if the bullet were to run into the spinal cord, other complications would occur. I wouldn't expect health to save the person from such complications.