xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ORene

Pirates! Somali Pirates Kidnapped A Greek Ship Oh My God

Have you watched TV recently? The pirates strike back!Somali pirates kidnapped a Greek ship in the Aden Gulf. The ship had 22 people on board.They think it was an answer to the interventions of the French and American forces. However this out-of-time success didn't end nice. Five of the kidnappers were killed.According to Mwangura it was the 8th assault in 15 days.This only indicates that pirates are arising and getting more active and violent.I think that the death of those 5 pirates will only make them more violent :SThis kidnap happened few days after the rescue of the captain Richard Phillips who was kidnapped for 5 days :)Also, last Friday, the French army freed a kidnapped boat near Somalia, however the owner of the boat died along with two pirates.According to the news, these pirates are very dangerous and can easily take over a petrol ship and tourist boats. Now the best/worst part, the pirates currently hold about 18 boats kidnapped and about 300 people in these boats...Now the question, if they know these numbers, their location, what in the hell are they waiting to rescue those poor people?

Edited by ORene (see edit history)

It could be possible that the countries who's ships are currently under the pirate's control doesn't want to intervene, or doesn't have the resources to do so. I could see that American ships going through that region having automatic weapons equipped on board, to stop these things from happening.

the area where I stay there are several somali refugees one of them told me that he likes fighting very much and his uncle had promised to take him in  the pirate recruiting camp.The americans as usual have been intervening insuch deadly acts let them trace the area and bombard it as usual.

-feedback by katimbo timothy

i think the only solution to this piracy problem is for Somali to get a proper government and start providing its people with proper jobs, opportunities and legal means to earn a living. otherwise, how much deadly force and diplomacy by other countries will never stop. Somalis have almost no other means to make a decent living other than piracy.

Exactly. Piracy is so popular because a pirate can feed his family for a long time for just one ship's ransom/his part of it. The United Nations should be stepping in right now, and I see no reason why they shouldn't. They are international waters, so anybody should be able to travel there without getting killed or having their boat seized.

You'll never get those people thru force I agree with k3nny what you need is something for them to do..Well i know someone who was kidnapped for a while too.. :lol: not a very pleasant experience i say.. but did you see what kind of life they have over at africa? see it first before you judge why there are pirates out there..

When dealing with international issues, the nations can't do anything on their own - they have to go through the United Nations... if they didn't they'd be waging war on Somalia!Just when everyone thought piracy was abolished a long time ago and they released a film about Captain Jack Sparrow, somebody decides it's a good idea to go swash-buckling and piracy is up on the rise again.I wonder if it is illegal for merchant ships to have cannons like they did back in the day.

There was a program about piracy on 20/20 about a month ago. Ships use a varity of ways to try to ward off pirates including fire hoses, annoying sirens, and warnings. I'm pretty sure that even before Pirates of the Carribean was released, there was piracy going on around the world. There are also pirates in the Gulf of Mexico and the Carribean sea, as Americas Most Wanted did a segment about it about a year ago.

There have always been pirates and always will be.They are a fact of life.Just look at Piratebay,right here on the internet. Obviously The Somali government isn't strong enough to do anything about the problem.The only answer then is interventionfrom the U.N,which would mean armed patrol of the waters and help in gettingthe Somali economy together.Easier said than done.It seems the only solution though.

There was a program about piracy on 20/20 about a month ago. Ships use a varity of ways to try to ward off pirates including fire hoses, annoying sirens, and warnings. I'm pretty sure that even before Pirates of the Carribean was released, there was piracy going on around the world. There are also pirates in the Gulf of Mexico and the Carribean sea, as Americas Most Wanted did a segment about it about a year ago.

The cargo ships are equipped with fire hoses and sirens to deal with fire. They aren't equipped to deal with pirates!

Let's say, for instance, there's an oil tanker, liquid gold, with just one guy (I know it takes more than that to run a tanker, but just for the example) sitting in the open guarding it. If you were running a pirate crew, with five hungry kids and a wife to feed, wouldn't you go out and get the tanker?

On the other hand, you wouldn't go rob a vault at the police station - they've got guns and ammunition to fend off a small army!
Edited by k_nitin_r (see edit history)

There have always been pirates and always will be.They are a fact of life.Just look at Piratebay,right here on the internet.
Obviously The Somali government isn't strong enough to do
anything about the problem.The only answer then is intervention
from the U.N,which would mean armed patrol of the waters and help in getting
the Somali economy together.Easier said than done.
It seems the only solution though.

The pirate bay is a completely different issue, as nobody loses their lives by means of Internet piracy.

The pirate bay is a completely different issue, as nobody loses their lives by means of Internet piracy.

I totally agree. Software/music/movie piracy is a totally different thing. You're simply creating a copy of what you managed to get your hands on - no damage to physical property, no deaths or injuries, no gunshots, no explosions, no hostages. The only effect of intellectual property piracy is that the pirate reduces the ability of the author to sell the composition and make a profit.

The analogy of comparing intellectual property piracy to breaking into somebody's house and stealing is logically flawed. They are as dissimilar as apples and oranges.

Regards,
Nitin Reddy