xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
TheDisturbedOne

Ipod-to Jailbreak Or Not

I'm getting a 2nd generation iPod Touch. I have heard about various applications on jailbroken iPod Touches that allow a user to download mp3s straight from the internet. I have a very old computer, and later this year will be upgrading. I'm wondering if I should jailbreak so that I can add that app, or just put music on through public computers (library) until I upgrade. I am completely aware that it will void my warranty, that it could get bricked, blah blah blah. If anybody here jailbraked theirs, please post here too.

It all comes down to 1 thing - if something goes wrong, how bad will you feel that you now have a $200+ brick? Also, how technically proficient are you to be able to debug problems and fix things yourself when it doesn't go according to plan?

Several jailbreak techniques let you restore the original firmware. So, you could conceivably do that and update your iPod / take it in for servicing, then restore the custom firmware you've made to continue using apps not approved by Apple.

An issue to consider - Is jailbreaking illegal? https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/02/applereaking-illegal . There has been no decision yet (as far as I know), but we will just wait and see.

Regards,

z.

Thanks for the info. I should just wait and see, since it doesn't say anything about iPod Touches, but it could be the same deal. I think I won't jailbreak it, just to stay on the safe side. It would really suck if a new firmware bricks the iPod.

It depends on your technicallity and courage to do such a task. As zakaluka said, you may be left with a bricked peace of hardware you gave $200 for OR you can end up having a better iPod with more apps and some people may even give you money to jailbreak their iPod (if they agree with the risk ofcourse).

I suggest you to wait for a couple of months and see if you're gonna like it with the original hardware and when and if it gets boring you can experiment with it. Be sure to use a video tutorial (works the best) that many people used before so you'll know their success rate :)

I wish you luck! :P

Edited by miladinoski (see edit history)

I personally have a first gen iPod touch, but have jailbroken two of my friends' 2nd gen iPod touches. Cyw00d is probably your best bet atm. There is a certain limitation, however, which is the fact that if your iPod shuts off completely (runs out of battery or turned off completely), you must boot it with a special program (i prefer the redsn0w booter, where you just put the iPod in DFU mode and then click a button). Although, a grade seven in my school apparently has found a new jailbreak program where you do NOT need to boot your iPod. You can just google around for jailbreaks. I hope i helped.

I'm getting a 2nd generation iPod Touch. I have heard about various applications on jailbroken iPod Touches that allow a user to download mp3s straight from the internet. I have a very old computer, and later this year will be upgrading. I'm wondering if I should jailbreak so that I can add that app, or just put music on through public computers (library) until I upgrade. I am completely aware that it will void my warranty, that it could get bricked, blah blah blah. If anybody here jailbraked theirs, please post here too.

Jailbreaking your iPod Touch/iPhone gives you access to a whole lot of stuff. For example, you don't have to use iTunes any more - you can do it wirelessly from a computer running Windows, Linux or MacOS X, you can use your iPhone as a web server, and you can add bluetooth file transfer capabilities. If all of this doesn't sound compelling to you, then you can stay with the original software. It isn't very likely that you'll brick your iPhone - jailbreaking has been tried and tested by hundreds all over the world and if you feel you haven't got the heart for it, take it to a store where they'll do it for you. You don't really have to bother about the warranty because you can restore the original firmware if your iPod Touch/iPhone is ever in need of repairs. Besides, it's just software!

I've decided to jailbreak it, once I get a new iPod from apple. This one wasn't made right, so I'm just going to backup everything on it, and get a new iPod. I have seen various program for jailbreaking, but all the ones that I have tried only allow the administrator of that computer to run the software. Does anybody know of a jailbreaking software that allows you to be a normal user and run it. I don't have any windows computers, and getting to one where I have admin rights is nearly impossible.Also, how do you download Apps to a jailbroken iPod? Is there a 3rd party App Store, or do you have to download the files from a website.Thanks

To download apps its, actually on the Jailbroken iPod, depending on the platform that you install. I reccomend Zibri's Jailbreaker App, since it works the best compared to the new ones. Its been around and worked for me, but mine was a 1st Gen iPod Touch. Though jailbreaking is great and all, I don't think its worth it. New apps aren't really being developed on the Jailbroken end, I would actually just get the regular app store, since it is much better. The app Store lets you get the new apps, without having a problem on updating. Just shell out the 10 dollars, to get an upgrade not that bad, now that it can do so much more!

I have seen various program for jailbreaking, but all the ones that I have tried only allow the administrator of that computer to run the software. Does anybody know of a jailbreaking software that allows you to be a normal user and run it.

You would need to have rights to install software, especially since you'd have to install iTunes. You don't need Windows to run jailbreaking software - if you've got Mac OS X, you've actually got a better platform for iPhone development!

Also, how do you download Apps to a jailbroken iPod? Is there a 3rd party App Store, or do you have to download the files from a website.Thanks

Downloading Apps to a jailbroken iPod/iPhone is via App Store-like thingies called Cydia and Installer. Both get the job done, and often you can get the paid apps on the App Store for free via Cydia and Installer. You can add sources to Cydia and Installer, which lets you get more apps but usually the source lists are updated automatically.

The thing is, the version of Mac OS X that I have won't run the jailbreak, so I would have to run it on Windows. The Windows computer I would be using would have rights to install software, but QuickPwn said that I had to be an admin to run THAT software. If I wanted to install iTunes or another application (such as Photoshop) I could do it on there, but it won't let me run QuickPwn. Is there any other jailbreaks out that that are safe and trusted?

The thing is, the version of Mac OS X that I have won't run the jailbreak, so I would have to run it on Windows. The Windows computer I would be using would have rights to install software, but QuickPwn said that I had to be an admin to run THAT software. If I wanted to install iTunes or another application (such as Photoshop) I could do it on there, but it won't let me run QuickPwn. Is there any other jailbreaks out that that are safe and trusted?

Perhaps you can install Windows as a dual-boot? Boot camp does it. Or you could trying running VMWare? If you're looking for something free, VirtualBox can get the job done too! Microsoft has also got the VirtualPC, but I believe Microsoft Virtual PC only runs on Windows, which you don't currently have :-P

If you get get Windows running on your PC either as a dual boot or within a virtual machine, you'll have dominion over a Windows installation of your own - you'll be the administrator, the power user, the grand imperial pubah.

Regards,
Nitin Reddy

If you can't run Boot Camp then you'll have to run either VMWare or VirtualBox. Both are free. VMWare has a commercial version also available if you want to run it on a server and access it from your laptop. VirtualBox is from Sun - they have an open-source version and a free-but-not-open-source version. I wonder if Oracle would keep the VirtualBox product alive... I don't see it aligning with any of the stuff they're doing - databases and ERP don't have much in common with virtualization. There still is the possibility that they might want to see it as an add-on to Solaris.

TheDisturbedOne, if you can't get to a pc or mac and have no administrator rights you should either let someone else do it, or use a linux live cd and one of the linux jailbreaking applications.

-reply by SpaceGhost