xisto Community
HappyHippie

New Pc Good deal OR not?

I had a Toshiba laptop that I miss terribly but gave it to my oldest daughter so she could be entertained in her new home. Anyway so I went out shopping and didnt have as much to spend as I did when I bought the Toshiba, So this is what I ended up getting for the price range I was in. Just wondering and wanting some input on if it was a good deal or now as I am not very technical in the pc terms and understanding what it all is. So any feedback will be greatly appreciated Thank you very much.Compaq Presario (HP) CQ60-210USNotebook PCAMD Athlon X2 Dual core processor(2.0 GHz 1MB L2 Cache)250 GB (5400RPM) Hard Drive2048MB DDR2 SDRAM (2Dimm)Light scribe super Multi 8X DVD RW With double layer supportWindows Vista home premium (32bit) With service pack 115.6" Diagonal High-Definition BrightView WidescreenDisplaynVidia GeForce 8200M G with shared graphics memory802.1 1b/g WLAN5-in-1 Digital Media Reader6 cell Lithium-Ion batteryI paid $454.00 That was after a 150.00 Compaq instant rebate and a $25.00 instant store rebate, And then a $30.00 Mail in rebate that I am still waiting for. 8-10 Weeks. Anyway was this a decent buy?

I don't see anything wrong with that deal at all.My Laptop is also a Compaq, but your machine is much better in specs for pretty much the same price as I paid 2 years ago.Right off the bat, you have a DVD r/w with lightscribe. Mine is read only, so minus the lightscribe as well.Mine came with 512 Meg of Ram, you have 2 Gigs. (I upgraded mine to 2 Gigs last month)Your processor speed is faster, and HDD is 3 times bigger. (size really does matter)I have no card reader. Does yours have an on-board Camera? They are pretty common these days. Mine does not.All in all, you should be quite pleased with that machine. It should do well and last quite some time.*edit*you beat newegg's price for the same machine by $15.00. pretty good deal.

Not a very bad laptop but just a warning, AMD proc on laptops runs shorter compared to Intel counterparts..Don't get me wrong, I'm not starting a discussion which is better, Ive been using AMD forever but on the Laptop side Id rather go for intel, basing on experience. Batteries run 2x longer vs AMD

Nice config, but I think You could have got an 8400 GS for a similar price. 8200 is an old card.Lightscribe has no real use. If you feel your system slowing down in a couple of months, upgrade your RAM to 4 GB since your graphics card would be sharing RAM memory. I guess it will take up atleast 256 MB of your precious RAM :) and At Max 512Also , If you feel your battery draining faster than you expect, upgrade the battery to a 9 Cell. That will improve. Its like 30 min per cell generally under normal load for Dell Laptops. I don't know about Compaq.

I had a Toshiba laptop that I miss terribly but gave it to my oldest daughter so she could be entertained in her new home. Anyway so I went out shopping and didnt have as much to spend as I did when I bought the Toshiba, So this is what I ended up getting for the price range I was in. Just wondering and wanting some input on if it was a good deal or now as I am not very technical in the pc terms and understanding what it all is. So any feedback will be greatly appreciated Thank you very much.

Compaq Presario (HP)

CQ60-210US

Notebook PC

AMD Athlon X2 Dual core processor

(2.0 GHz 1MB L2 Cache)

250 GB (5400RPM) Hard Drive

2048MB DDR2 SDRAM (2Dimm)

Light scribe super Multi 8X DVD RW With double layer support

Windows Vista home premium (32bit) With service pack 1

15.6" Diagonal High-Definition BrightView WidescreenDisplay

nVidia GeForce 8200M G with shared graphics memory

802.1 1b/g WLAN

5-in-1 Digital Media Reader

6 cell Lithium-Ion battery

I paid $454.00 That was after a 150.00 Compaq instant rebate and a $25.00 instant store rebate, And then a $30.00 Mail in rebate that I am still waiting for. 8-10 Weeks. Anyway was this a decent buy?

The price range is quite decent. And you having bought a branded PC also need to be considered. Because, you can be assured of good provider service if you get branded PC's, which is not the case with assembled PC's and you having bought an HP, I am sure the service is quite good in almost all the places.

But, I am a little skeptical about the processor. I am not sure, how good is the AMD processor. I would always recommend Intel processors, that too the Intel Core 2 duo has been a hit and is on top for the past 1-2 years. So... you should have done some research before going for that... If you have already done and then went ahead for the AMD processor, thats quite fine.

All other configurations are quite fine.

Have fun.

A piece of advice:

Do not get feedback, once you have purchased the laptop. Bad feedback might hurt you. Its better to all these before you buy. :)

Edited by varalu (see edit history)

I had a Toshiba laptop that I miss terribly but gave it to my oldest daughter so she could be entertained in her new home. Anyway so I went out shopping and didnt have as much to spend as I did when I bought the Toshiba, So this is what I ended up getting for the price range I was in. Just wondering and wanting some input on if it was a good deal or now as I am not very technical in the pc terms and understanding what it all is. So any feedback will be greatly appreciated Thank you very much.
Compaq Presario (HP)
CQ60-210US
Notebook PC
AMD Athlon X2 Dual core processor
(2.0 GHz 1MB L2 Cache)
250 GB (5400RPM) Hard Drive
2048MB DDR2 SDRAM (2Dimm)
Light scribe super Multi 8X DVD RW With double layer support
Windows Vista home premium (32bit) With service pack 1

15.6" Diagonal High-Definition BrightView WidescreenDisplay
nVidia GeForce 8200M G with shared graphics memory
802.1 1b/g WLAN
5-in-1 Digital Media Reader
6 cell Lithium-Ion battery

I paid $454.00 That was after a 150.00 Compaq instant rebate and a $25.00 instant store rebate, And then a $30.00 Mail in rebate that I am still waiting for. 8-10 Weeks. Anyway was this a decent buy?

For what you got, I would say that's pretty darn good. I'm assuming that you're going to be using this for general use, which this laptop seems to be good with the hardware in it.

I know I don't have much in comparison, but my desktop replacement with a Pentium 4 3.2GHz (single core) and 2GB of DDR2 RAM is more than enough for basic word processing, working with Photoshop, etc., and my other laptop with an AMD Turion X2 1.6GHz (dual core) does decently with the same tasks. I don't think you're going to go about playing a lot of computer games... but if you do, you should be able to play most games at medium to low settings (even the newer games out). My desktop replacement runs most games at low to medium settings with decent resolutions, and your graphics solution rates higher than mine on NotebookCheck.

You should be good to go, but if you do decide to throw some upgrades in the future, I second the remark about RAM. Everything else should suffice.

Compaq used to be a brand that people steered clear of, but since HP picked them up, they seem to make pretty decent machines. HP's customer service isn't bad from my experience, but a friend of mine had a bad one dealing with sending his laptop in for repairs.

Hope you enjoy your new laptop. I'm still in it for the long haul... :)

hey you should opt for more gb or hard disk space, and one more thing as i have heard amd processors are efficient than intel but the only defect n amd is that it will consume more electricity than intel but will be fast indeed.........otherwise you got a good deal...............and ur cache memory is 1mb or 2ghz, this the only thing which i thpught was bad coz 3ghz memory rocks manbut then also your notebook costs a good many bucksthen all the best for your new laptop................... :blush