xisto Community
Ash-Bash

Speed Up Utorrent Downloads

Er... OP is missing the tiny eety beety fact that adjusting uTorrent settings will be RELEVANT to your system and your connection speed. And obviously, you shouldn't change preferences if you have no idea what they do.

What anyone should be doing is to add uTorrent as a firewall exception. You should already have this enabled anyway, because Windows Firewall will prompt you whether you want to let uTorrent's traffic through or not from the get-go.

It's best if you actually leave Randomize Port unticked and specify a port of your choosing, preferably a port above 10000. When you specify a port, you have the opportunity to open that port and thus let traffic go through as you please through your router (if you have one). And of course, setting up port forwarding is specific to each router, which help on setting this up can be found on PortFoward.com.

UPnP stands for Universal Plug and Play. It makes recognition of devices on your network... well, easier, theoretically. I haven't missed it; therefore I've turned it off personally. I would think that this would improve performance through your router by a very, very slight bit... but adjust this at your own discretion.

NAT-PMP, basically, allows for automatic port forwarding. I would trust manual settings and, therefore, if you are forwarding a port yourself, to turn this off.

Setting an automatic download and upload rate is not recommended because uTorrent is probably not smart enough to know your bandwidth allowance... so I would actually keep this unchecked. What you should do is test your connection at SpeedTest.net, take the numbers IN KILOBYTES (KB) and not KILOBITS (Kb), multiply those numbers by 80% (.8), then put those numbers into your upload and download limits. This way, uTorrent won't rape your bandwidth.

Global connections would be the number of connections to peers that uTorrent will make. Connected per Torrent would be the number of peers that you will make connections to per torrent. Making any of these numbers astronomical will net you no more performance than setting this to a smaller, more realistic number. Depending on your bandwidth allocation through your ISP, I would set this to a more realistic number. See the chart and source that I have in this thread, which actually covers the same topic this thread does.

Protocol Encryption is a good thing as it encrypts your data going in and out, which means that ISPs can't analyze your P2P traffic and consequently "choke" your transfer rates. (ISPs don't like peer-to-peer.) :(

The numbers that Ash-Bash puts out are insane. You should never have 60 torrents active, and 63 active downloads when you already specified 60 active? Whoever made the article that Ash-Bash quoted didn't do their math right. :( Refer to the aforementioned chart, or you can safely go with something low, like 5 active torrents and 4 active downloads. This will ensure decent speeds with downloading AND uploading, since you won't be struggling to download and upload from a ton of peers. The reason why I say that is because, with the settings Ash-Bash posted, you would be connected to (60 active torrents x 200 possible peers per torrent - 12000 connections, but limited to the 500 global connections you specified earlier). Check your math... it makes more sense when you do, and it ensures that you're not telling uTorrent to do the impossible. :lol:

Everything else, I would leave alone, except for the net.max_halfopen parameter. This allows you to make as many connections as you can, but setting this to a high number does nothing if your TCP/IP settings won't allow it. LvlLord's Event 4226 TCPIP.sys patch lifts the limitations of XP and Vista as far as connections go (implemented by Microsoft as a propogation measure in the case of infection by malware) but there's only so much you can gain by applying this patch and modifying this parameter.

Again, I want to refer to you to my previous post in the other uTorrent thread for more information. There's a lot of false information out there... so common sense rules all. :(Remember that these settings are dependent to your bandwidth allowance. There are no magic numbers for uTorrent that will make rocket go boom. :P

Nice job. Every time I see people trying to get magical speeds from torrents, I don't know if it's better to sit down and write up a masterpiece, such as this, or just go on with my day...

I'm really not sure about how many bit torrent users REALLY know what is going on when they fire up their favorite P2P client...

I suggest that (after a tiny bit of editing) this post should be used as a 'Torrent Download Optimization Guide'...just an idea.

It just drives me nuts when I see people looking for un-realistic performance, with the help of some tweaks or a special crack or something...then again, for all I know, some of these people may have the hardware capabilities!

I really believe that most of the ways of speeding uTorrent up are scams and nearly all in my opinion slow uTorrnet down. I therefore do not edit any settings on uTorrent and it still downloads very quick.Best way to get fast torrents is to check for lots of seeders and not so many leachers and get a better connection or ISP :lol:.

I really believe that most of the ways of speeding uTorrent up are scams and nearly all in my opinion slow uTorrnet down. I therefore do not edit any settings on uTorrent and it still downloads very quick.
Best way to get fast torrents is to check for lots of seeders and not so many leachers and get a better connection or ISP :lol: .

This post contradicts the whole reason why you wanted to start this thread in the first place. Why throw this kind of information out there if you believe that most of the ways of speeding up uTorrent are scams and slow uTorrent down? Why spread stupid when you can stop it right then and there by NOT spreading it?

I already like Spyke Jones because I know that he knows there isn't a magic formula... there's only optimization and working with what you have. The reason why you would want to optimize your settings AS LONG AS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE CHANGING is to optimize your contribution AND reception of data in the torrenting community. Really, the only people that do us any justice are the people who can afford high-speed Internet bandwidth like fiber and cable. I know I can't contribute much because I'm stuck with a 1.5Mbps connection with a 25+ Kbps upload, and I'm sure as hell not going to choke my Internet access so that people can download my stuff at a measly 25+ Kbps from me when they can connect to another peer that could possibly offer 150Kbps. You have to understand how the whole concept works to realize what you are doing wrong on your end, and if everyone was just out to download stuff and never seed, the system fails.

Your "best way" doesn't work if those "lots of seeders" are dial-up or low-speed cable users like myself, because you will only download at the speeds that THEY are limited to uploading. Yes, it makes sense to aim for a high amount of seeders to increase your chances of connecting with a high-speed peer, but it doesn't necessarily mean that you're going to get awesome download transfer rates. Yes, it makes sense that you would want fewer leechers so that you have a better chance of connecting to a peer that best meets your bandwidth limitations. But it's not an absolute.

I'm not targeting this at Ash-Bash, but at the audience that this subject matter attracts. There is NO magic formula, like I've said. If you stick with the defaults, you're trusting uTorrent to figure out your connection, your bandwidth, your capabilities, and you're letting it do the best it can by figuring everything out itself. But why not give it a helping hand and use common sense to be able to contribute more to the scene, download at optimum rates, and essentially be part of maintaining the entire system? I sure as heck would hate to be downloading a 700MB Linux distro at 15Kbps because you didn't care enough to set your crap right. However, if you did set your crap right, maybe you would be offering your best speeds to someone who actually IS limited to 15Kbps or to that lone leecher.

I really would not do my tutorial above now as the new release of uTorrent has all this and no need to edit anything just download a torrent. To really speed it up you need a good connection and fastish internet speed with patience.

well, i am no master in tweeking for best performance, but from my own personal experience, finding a port that doesn't conflict with any other apps is good, changing your upload speed helps since i've found it interferes with the download speed. also, what i like to do is set my internet connection higher which enables me to download more torrents at once. the speed is relatively the same, but you are able to download more.i did try to manually input many trackers in to the torrent i was downloading, but that really didn't seem to help much.so although i am no master in tweeking, common sense has allowed me to download faster and more efficiently by just using the three steps above.i haven't downloaded the new version of utorrent yet. what's the difference? the old version would always want me to download it but never did...now it has stopped asking me haha is there any difference in the performance at all?

Edited by anwiii (see edit history)

"Tweaking" uTorrent is moreso optimizing it instead of going for "what's in the box." That's like going out and buying a dSLR camera and never using the functions to take the pictures you want.

Like I said, go with what I was saying about doing the math and calculating for your connection. You will not download anything faster than what your bandwidth allows, obviously. However, you CAN maximize that connection for your upload and download transfer rates. Remember that the closer you are to reaching the caps for your upload and download for your P2P, the more hampered your Internet browsing will be (obviously).

Upload speed should be independent of download speed. They shouldn't be "clashing" or anything like that... it's a two-lane highway there. :P

@Anwii: You can set up the number of simultaneous downloads through the options instead of falsifying your connection speed using the Speed Guide. Like I said, though, if you don't provide your own numbers to "tweak" uTorrent, your computer will try to make a set number of connections multiplied by the number of active uploads/downloads, and if you bombard your router with all of these incoming and outgoing requests, your Internet surfing will suffer. That's why I suggest you tone down the number of connections manually (not active downloads). Also, in that way, by "tweaking," you can actually have good transfer rates without killing your household Internet connection.

I don't know what the real differences are between uTorrent versions... you'd best be off reviewing the revision history. I know that before, uTorrent was downloaded as a stand-alone application. Now, you are presented with installation, although I suspect that it simply just places the application in a standard location to prevent people from accidental moving or deleting the uTorrent application (i.e. into the Program Files\uTorrent folder).

Edited by rayzoredge (see edit history)

torrent-uploader.com thatSpeed Up Utorrent Downloads

I use www . Torrent-uploader . Com to spread my torrents and make them visible to the public.

I use it - it helped me start step by step. It's not the best out there however its more then affordable, you'll see you. Worth checking out.

Good luck.

-reply by Akmar