xisto Community
Baniboy

Linux Is Messed Up help, please

Well, after I reinstalled vista from recovery partition, I lost the grub boot-loaders at the system boot. I reinstalled ubuntu on the partition it was earlier, after that, I booted into ubuntu and it was half English half Finnish wtf? I got a window telling that a language pack wasn't installed, if I want to do it now I had to click "run this action now" or something, and I couldn't contact the internet?! I couldn't even download the package! I reinstalled ubuntu and I'm still having the same problem! I booted into vista and I couldn't contact the net with that either? ******** **** ****** *****! (sorry, I'm so pissed off...) I used the recovery program to get windows back in time and it worked for vista, but still not for ubuntu... ARGH!!! Any advice?

Well, after I reinstalled vista from recovery partition, I lost the grub boot-loaders at the system boot. I reinstalled ubuntu on the partition it was earlier, after that, I booted into ubuntu and it was half English half Finnish wtf? I got a window telling that a language pack wasn't installed, if I want to do it now I had to click "run this action now" or something, and I couldn't contact the internet?! I couldn't even download the package!

I reinstalled ubuntu and I'm still having the same problem!

I booted into vista and I couldn't contact the net with that either? ******** **** ****** *****! (sorry, I'm so pissed off...) I used the recovery program to get windows back in time and it worked for vista, but still not for ubuntu... ARGH!!!

Any advice?

First, after you reinstall windows, you don't need to reinstall ubuntu.

You can only repair GRUB, without loosing nothing.

So here is how to repair GRUB:

Boot from Ubuntu Live CD

Open terminal and write:

sudo grubfind /boot/grub/stage1 *with this, you will get the exactly partition with linux on your HDDroot (hd0,?) ?-the partition number with ubuntusetup (hd0)quit
That is all for repairing GRUB.

Next, for the internet, if you have ADSL broadband internet, you'll need to configure it.

So open Terminal and write:

pppoeconf
And configure it.

And to get Windows Vista to GRUB, you will need to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst file.

So open Terminal and write:

sudo gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
On it, just add the following lines:

title   Windows Vista Bootloader root   (hd0,0) makeactive chainloader   +1
and save it.

That is all. You are done.

Hope this helped to you. :D

I have grub fixed now, my only problem is the stupid half-finnish half english language and the connection. I tried typing pppoeconf in terminal.I get the error "please become root before running pppoeconf" or something like that. Weird...I'm amazed you're the only one that has replied this topic. :DSo what should I do? How do I "become root"? :D

So what should I do? How do I "become root"? :D

sudo
is for executing any command as root.

So you write:

sudo command
command - is the command you like to run as root

So exactly in this case you will need to write the following in the Terminal:

sudo pppoeconf
Also you can become as root in other way, a little harder way.

Let me explain the second way:

You open terminal and write:

sudo passwd root
And you are setting the root password.

After that, you run this command:

su
And it will make you root.

Now, all the commands you will run, will be executed as root.

The next times when you open Terminal, and if you want to run commands as root, you will need to execute only:

su

Little explanation:

When the Terminal asks you for password, it doesn't show the characters even not as "***".

But don't care, you are writing the password. After you wrote the exactly password, you only need to press "Enter", and the command will be executed.

Hope this will help to you. :D

Edited by stefan_pavikevik (see edit history)

I tried that out, didn't work. It couldn't configure the connection...I think I'll try installing ubuntu english this time, maybe it doesn't come up half english lol.if I have time. Until then, I'll look around and see if anyone here finds the solution...

I tried that out, didn't work. It couldn't configure the connection...
I think I'll try installing ubuntu english this time, maybe it doesn't come up half english lol.
if I have time. Until then, I'll look around and see if anyone here finds the solution...

How do you connect to the internet?
Do you use ADSL.
That is for ADSL only.
Tell me the right connection, and I will tell you the right configurations you need to make. :D

I have ADSL, my modem doesn't even recognize that I have a computer plugged to it when I boot to linux...

You need to configure the ADSL connection. My system requires that I find and install a proprietary Driver.
System > Administration > Hardware Drivers should do it for you.

You need to configure the ADSL connection. My system requires that I find and install a proprietary Driver.
System > Administration > Hardware Drivers should do it for you.

Naah, all it could find was a ATI driver from AMD... And I couldn't even install that since it couldn't access the internet.. that's so pathetic :D
I'm so desperate :D

@baniboy,Can you tell us the right Ethernet Adapter on your computer?Do you have also an Windows partition?If you have, please use Everest, and tell us the right Ethernet Adapter.And don't forgot that you mask your IP address from the public. :D

I belive this is it:

Field	ValueDevice Properties	Driver Description	Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)Driver Date	14.2.2008Driver Version	6.203.214.2008Driver Provider	RealtekINF File	oem9.infHardware ID	PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_30FC103C&REV_02Location Information	@system32\drivers\pci.sys,#65536;PCI bus %1, device %2, function %3;(10,0,0)PCI Device	Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Adapter	Device Resources	IRQ	19Memory	D1000000-D100FFFFMemory	D1100000-D1100FFFPort	2000-20FF
I found the info on "devices/windows devices/something...".

Was that the thing you were looking for? I also have a WiFi adapter, I don't use that one tho...

Why no replies? Since nobody seems to be able to help my situation,I would like to know how to remove this crap from my computer. I don't want to choose between linux and windows on startup when I will always choose windows. How do I do it the safe way? How do I remove grub and ubuntu?If someone figures out what I have to do to make ubuntu work, I'll be listening. Otherwise, tell me how to remove this junk.

Baniboy, have you tried to post this issue on any other Forum that is Linux related?I would suggest ubuntuforums.org for example. Lots of people there that might be able to assist you.

By typing the make and model of your card, along with the word "ubuntu" into a popular search engine, I got these two results:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=914920
https://nosemaj.org/hardy-r8168

The second link has a full guide on how to get that particular card working in Ubuntu. I also suggest you contact Realtek to ask why they do not publish Linux drivers for their equipment - unless people tell them, they'll never do anything about it.

By typing the make and model of your card, along with the word "ubuntu" into a popular search engine, I got these two results:
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=914920
https://nosemaj.org/hardy-r8168

The second link has a full guide on how to get that particular card working in Ubuntu. I also suggest you contact Realtek to ask why they do not publish Linux drivers for their equipment - unless people tell them, they'll never do anything about it.

Oh sorry I forgot to tell that I already made it work, I visited Finnish ubuntu IRC chat lines and forums and requested help there. Nobody seemed to figure it out so I reinstalling the realtek driver manually on windows. It worked, I think the driver somehow got damaged when I reinstalled vista. Well, now it's working.

Thanks for the searching tho, I might find some new stuff on there about how to optimize the driver...
Edited by baniboy (see edit history)