xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
stefan_pavikevik

Windows 7 Will Come With Opera, Mozilla And Others... Possibly

Posted Image

Microsoft decided to include remove option for IE 8 in Windows 7.

After some time, with request of the big companies that make the most popular browser, possibly the new version of Windows will come with Opera, Mozilla Firefox and others.

But Microsoft complaints that it will open some new questions like how the other browsers will ship with Windows, and how compatible will be they.

So, possibly, we will have to choose browser when installing Windows 7. :D

'Njoy

I guess thats a small step for man and one large step for open source. I think it would be really cool to have a choice. The overall installation may still be IE though, since most people just don't know. They'll be installing windows and say "hey, same company, why not". The google new browser would come in close second because of its name recognition. Regardless, this is a step in the right direction.

Even though it won't be installed, I still think that it will be easy to install it as it will ask if you want IE as your browser? ans most of people will click Yes? Or I'll need to download IE separately from Microsoft? as I think it will be the same as with MSN messenger or Windows Media Player which you can install after installing Windows quite easy. :D

Having the option to remove (disable) it doesn't mean it won't be pre-installed with the system. Even if we were to assume that it won't come pre-installed, you would be left with a dilemma for internet users: how are they to surf the web? Microsoft isn't going to sign a deal with these other browser developers. Knowing them, since you would no longer need Internet Explorer to update the system, they'd just supply you with the option to install Internet Explorer through their update system. In either case, it wouldn't be smart of them to do either, therefore they'd just ship Internet Explorer with Windows 7.

Also, this has already been known in the forums a while ago: here.

I don't see the problem, linux is opensource and comes with opensource software, windows is microsoft, and comes with microsoft's software, don't get me wrong, I think that opensource alternatives on windows are great and this is a good leap forward however, I wish people and I'm saying anyone here, would stop *BLEEP*ing that "Internet explorer being shipped with it is unfair", its at the operating systems manufacturers discretion.I've installed the new 8, a quick browse and a look in Task manager, shows it is pretty impressive, but I'm happy with firefox for the moment. Is microsoft doing an firefox addons style site, does anyone know?

Well I doubt the software will come with other browsers, just because Microsoft will not pay royalties to these companies to have their software installed. So they compromised and gave this option because the thought of paying their competition to install their browsers on Microsoft operating system would be blasphemous. Either way it should be interesting what hijinks Microsoft will do ti make it harder to get another browser installed on their operating system lol.

One thing they could do is make it much harder (read: spread FUD in the warning, like Could harm your computer, Could contain viruses / trojans, etc.) to install non-Microsoft-approved software. However, anyone with even a bit of computer knowledge should be able to get around that. Other than that, they don't have too many legal ways to get around it. Another thing they can do is embed IE into certain key applications. So, for example, you couldn't use certain charts from Excel without IE enabled. This would ensure that while you could install a competing browser, IE would stay on as an annoying presence.Regards,z.

I really don't think they would add things like Firefox into Windows 7....Firefox is sponsored by Google and Google and MSN are huge enemies of one another. Why would Microsoft publicize their enemy's company?It'd be like going to Apple and them having sales on Microsoft computers there.

I think something that we're missing here is the fact that Microsoft has been repeatedly attacked with antitrust accusations, since Microsoft has bundled Internet Explorer, amongst other programs, with every single release of Windows. This, in turn, gives Internet Explorer a huge market share by default and it doesn't pave much ground for any other browsers ready to compete. The whole nature of competition is to innovate and keep everyone in check to constantly improve their programs to compete against one another, and if Microsoft reigns as the operating system with the most market share and consumer usage, Internet Explorer will ship and be utilize by the majority of customers "who don't know any better."

If Windows 7 includes any other software suites other than its own, it would be to its benefit in the PR realm of things, which I'm sure Microsoft is very keen on keeping satisfied. We already associate Microsoft as the bad guy of the IT realm, as we are stuck with using it for exclusives like DirectX, programs exclusively for the Windows platform, etc. If Microsoft provides alternatives from the get-go, even if it made Internet Explorer the default option for your browser anyway, M$ will still get PR points for actually "allowing" for an alternative to be included in its software distribution.

I don't know from the business aspect of things if public relations offer more to the company than potentially advertising another rival company, but then again, look at the criticism of the PC vs. Mac ads.