xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ash-Bash

Ipod Touch 2g Jailbreak Gone Wrong.

Hello,As some of you may know I have an iPhone 3G and was thinking about Jail Breaking it, I thought I should try it on my iPod Touch 2gen first.So I did I installed it and it booted fine I went on Cydia and then downloaded a theme I had to reboot the iPod touch so I did then once I did that the iPod touch wouldn't turn on and when I plugged it into the PC it said USB device unrecogised.If any of you know how to fix it for free please let me know and if any of you know any excuse's I can give to apple :s.- Ash :D

Well, when these things happen with PSPs, sony didn't even bother asking me how it got bricked - even though i had to admit that i didn't do ANYTHING, but they are really crap at checking support - ie, they didn't even ask me how long i had had it, and my psp was actually out of warranty. But they still replaced it!I don't know whether the support lady was just being kind, or that they are bad at support - even though they have good support if you get what i mean :P--A broken iPod touch is basically the same as a bricked PSP - the only way to fix it is to reinstall the operating system (ie, iPod...). Since all the files are corrupted and it would fail to start.Just say to apple, that you just turned it off and it won't come back on again :D - thats what i did to sony and it worked!

That may work but keep in mind that if they run diagnostics on the system they could tell that the software on it was not theirs(I'm assuming if it is jailbroken then it is not Apple software, but some custom, right?). By this, they could determine that your warrantee was invalidated by your usage of the system.But if you really think about it...The thing is "broken" now anyways, so even if they choose not to fix it, you are out nothing(except shipping costs of course).

Since it's my job to take all of the appointments for this kind of stuff at the apple store, I'll tell you that jailbreaking your unit voids your warrantee. We've got fancy plaques that explain all the legal mumbo-jumbo about modifying the software that comes on the units. Your best bet is to try and force the unit into recovery mode, and then restore it using iTunes. To do this, restart the unit by holding down both the home button and the sleep/wake button until you see the unit start to reboot, then let go of the sleep/wake button and remain holding only the home button until you see a connect to iTunes icon on the screen. This functionality is built into the firmware and it is doubtful that attempting to modify the OS damaged this. Once you get it into recovery mode you should be able to restore it using iTunes. Now I tell you this not so you can have another go at trying to jailbreak it, but so you can have a functional unit again.

Since it's my job to take all of the appointments for this kind of stuff at the apple store, I'll tell you that jailbreaking your unit voids your warrantee. We've got fancy plaques that explain all the legal mumbo-jumbo about modifying the software that comes on the units. Your best bet is to try and force the unit into recovery mode, and then restore it using iTunes. To do this, restart the unit by holding down both the home button and the sleep/wake button until you see the unit start to reboot, then let go of the sleep/wake button and remain holding only the home button until you see a connect to iTunes icon on the screen. This functionality is built into the firmware and it is doubtful that attempting to modify the OS damaged this. Once you get it into recovery mode you should be able to restore it using iTunes. Now I tell you this not so you can have another go at trying to jailbreak it, but so you can have a functional unit again.

Wow, very nice tutorial there. I didn't even know there was a way around bricking it. I wonder if there's a method like that for the PSP as well...

And while on the topic...You said you work at Apple so I guess you're the one to ask. Let's assume that the fix is that easy(that it would work) and someone did not know that trick. They sent in their Ipod to you, and you found out they were trying to "jailbreak" it. What would end up happening with it?

1)You all keep it, as they broke a law(people keep saying modifying them is against the laws/TOS)
2)You all send it back, with them paying shipping both ways, plus flat fee for looking at it
3)You all do the easy fix and send it back

I'm just curious as to how these kinds of things are handled. I'm going to assume that it's the first one, based on what people always say about companies and breaking TOS's on them.

Did you try it? If you can get it on, put it into the computer and try to re-install the OS on the iPod. Mine fails to get this far (I didn't jailbreak mine though), so it is useless to me. If you can get diagnostic mode on and working, your iPod should be fine. My hard drive somehow got corrupted, so diagnostic mode only works for about 1/2 of the settings.

You said you work at Apple so I guess you're the one to ask. Let's assume that the fix is that easy(that it would work) and someone did not know that trick. They sent in their Ipod to you, and you found out they were trying to "jailbreak" it. What would end up happening with it?
1)You all keep it, as they broke a law(people keep saying modifying them is against the laws/TOS)
2)You all send it back, with them paying shipping both ways, plus flat fee for looking at it
3)You all do the easy fix and send it back

I'm just curious as to how these kinds of things are handled. I'm going to assume that it's the first one, based on what people always say about companies and breaking TOS's on them.

Unless you live in an area where there is no Apple Store near by you most likely would not ship it to have it repaired. If you do I have no idea what would happen. At the store we just tell them that jailbreaking voids their warrantee and we can't help them. Sometimes I show them how to get their unit into recovery mode and I suggest they try that at home. Also, there is no fee for the genius bar unless you are having something repaired or replaced out of warrantee. You are always welcome to make an appointment to see a mac genius or ipod/iphone genius if you need help with your unit.

Mine fails to get this far (I didn't jailbreak mine though), so it is useless to me. If you can get diagnostic mode on and working, your iPod should be fine. My hard drive somehow got corrupted, so diagnostic mode only works for about 1/2 of the settings.

Go to apple.com/retail and select the nearest apple store to you. Then under Genius Bar click on "Reserve". This will allow you to set up an appointment to have your unit looked at so your issue can be resolved. Edited by galexcd (see edit history)

galexcd, the only problem with that (I have done that with my iPod before, and other computers) is that my iPod is 6 years old. The AppleCare ran out 3 years ago :D. I love the remote reservation thing though.If I were to go there though (I have opened my iPod before to replace the battery) is there any chance that they could help me get it fixed for no charge? I'm pretty sure the hard drive got fried/corrupted as my (stupid) brother threw my iPod at me.

If I were to go there though (I have opened my iPod before to replace the battery) is there any chance that they could help me get it fixed for no charge? I'm pretty sure the hard drive got fried/corrupted as my (stupid) brother threw my iPod at me.

It depends on what is causing the problem. If it is indeed the hard drive that has a physical issue and the unit is out of warrantee you will have to pay for the parts required to fix it (and since there is no iPod repair done in the store, it basically means a whole new unit). However if you believe the issue may be software related the genius can help you attempt to resolve it at no charge.

It's worth a try bringing it in if anything to see how much the part would cost. Also, if you were thinking about purchasing a new iPod you can recycle your old one for 10% off a new one.

YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!I have contacted apple and they collected my iPod touch a few days ago they are now returning a BRAND NEW ONE! This time I have a case so I don't crack the screen again :S.

It's worth a try bringing it in if anything to see how much the part would cost. Also, if you were thinking about purchasing a new iPod you can recycle your old one for 10% off a new one.

Yeah, I'm bringing it in this weekend. I can already get mad discounts :D. Both parents work for the government, plus I always buy refurbished. But I never knew about that discount...

Yes, I know I am double posting, but it is a update to the old post, and wouldn't make much sense editing the old one.I brought it in, and the person there brought me to the back area with the genius support, but they said that they can't open the iPod there. I'm sure it is due to somebody saying that Apple broke their computer or iPod, but mine was already broken. The person there referred me to iresque (spelling?).com, and said that they could fix it. Well II have delt with this company before (A++ service), but I'm pretty sure that the cost of repair (a corrupt hard drive I believe) is going to be more then the paperweight is worth. I am looking into getting an iPod Touch though. I do have a question about it-Are there many good applications that are free? If so, what are some?

Tut tut tut, Double posting. I find Genius gives no help as It can't find half of my songs so I just keep it off so iTunes can run alot faster. And if you do break your iPod just take it back to apple it took me 5 days to send it, Get it fixed and then return thats comming monday (Tomoz) :D

I am looking into getting an iPod Touch though. I do have a question about it-Are there many good applications that are free? If so, what are some?

Quite a few good iPod Touch/iPhone apps are free. I've got quite a few, my favorite would have to be shazam which listens to a song and tells you what the artist/song name is. If you want to explore the avaliable apps you can do that from iTunes even without having an iPod Touch or iPhone. Just click on iTunes Store and click on App Store. You'll find all the free and paid apps there.
Don't forget to recycle your old one for 10% off the touch!

I find Genius gives no help as It can't find half of my songs so I just keep it off so iTunes can run alot faster.

He was referring to the mac genius who helped him at the apple store, not the iTunes feature.