xisto Community
jlhaslip

Linux Issue Wont boot and cant re-install

My computer is broken. Linux Ubuntu 8.10 has a bad disk error and it will not let me re-install the Operating System due to a Partition error.Neither can the Partitions be altered.Several attempts and various methods have failed.Any ideas?

It seems like it could be a hardware error rather than a software error if you can't even change the partitions or format the drive. The Ultimate Boot CD is probably the best bet. Use it to completely format the drive and reinstall Ubuntu afterwards. If that still doesn't work then you might have to get a new HDD. However, of course, check it in another machine if you want to first - just in case it is actually OK. It could be a problem with software (although this seems unlikely) or even with the motherboard.

My computer is broken. Linux Ubuntu 8.10 has a bad disk error and it will not let me re-install the Operating System due to a Partition error.Neither can the Partitions be altered.
Several attempts and various methods have failed.

Any ideas?

Well you could try with a xp install CD, just put that in and delete the partition ubuntu is located in. But don't install windows, just after that put the ubuntu CD back in and install it again.

Or can't you boot from disc at all?
Well try booting in recovery mode if you haven't already tried that. You could also install a mini-linux distro on usb stick and then you could boot from that and install.

If that doesn't work.. well I'm out of ideas.

I thought I made it clear that I was kidding when I told you to sudo rm -rvf /... Or was this something else?Edit: and those who think I was trying to be malicious: I was not. Haslip asked what the quickest way to clean up his harddrive was :D

Edited by galexcd (see edit history)

Actually, I should follow Opaque's advise and do a sudo rm -galexcd instead... :DIt was nothing I did (maybe) but the machine had a Partition issue this morning on start-up and would not repair it. At first, I tried to do a re-install from a Live CD, and it appeared to be working until the partition issue popped back up and failed, but a Live CD would work. The final answer was to install as an OEM. Worked first time.Just updating from the Repository now. I'll be busy all night doing updates to the system, adding back all the toys and junk. I have a backup which I will likely restore all the personal stuff from, pictures and junk, so I should be in okay shape.

I think you format your drive fully by using another PC using Disk Manager. DM recognized ext3 partition and hence should not be a big problem for you.Also Track 0 bad sector can really hamper your chances of using the hard disk so check that also.There is no hope if track 0 is bad.