xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Reddish

How To Get A New Job In These Difficult Times Follow these guidelines to ensure you get employed

The following will help you cover all topics and questions an interviewer may hit you with.Do your homework on the company you are going for the interview with. Do research on all products they provide or all services they offer. Take notes on the advantages and disadvantages these products or services have to the company and to the customer. With these points have a look at a similar competitive company and compare them to each other.Example:Lets say the interviewer asks you a question "How would you improve the forums for Xisto" Your answers should sound something like "Looking at other similar companies on the web I noticed that Xisto dont include such and such. Xisto forum costs must be higher then other sites but if you look at it from the customers view they receive far better quality posts."I know thats basic, but you see what I'm hitting at. Cover all aspects of their business. Once they find out your up to date on what is going on in the business your a big asset to them.Never be cocky to an interviewer with your answer.Imagine you already had the job and you had an idea. You wouldn't demand for it to be done, you would only suggest it. Managers dont always have the authority to make big changes so they submit their suggestions to a higher manager. So when answering, keep note of this. Prepair for all questions.First Empressions are one of the most important things you need to look at. Arrive 15 mins early, well dressed and make sure you have eaten about a half hour before. You want to keep alert so have a coffee also before you arrive. Take a bottle of water into the interview with you. Sit perked up with your hands on your thighs. Keep interested.If your a smoker, dont have one untill after the interview. It makes your voice more ragged and the interviewer will smell it. They then know you will need a smoke break from time to time and thats a minus. Have as many as you want afterwards!!!When leaving shake the interviewers hand with a smile and a polite goodbye. They have your details so dont ask them will they contact you or will you check back with them. That can be annoying to them.Best of luck and let me know how you get on folks... :D

Edited by Reddish (see edit history)

Great list of stuff here, really. The biggest mistake that people make is not trying to sell themselves.

Point 1

To go on from what you were saying about explaining how you can make companies better, or help them obtain better revenue, that's spot on. All companies are after one thing - money. So your goal is to get them to trust you to make them more money than the next guy who wants the same job.

But one mistake that you do NOT want to make is promising things. For example:

Use the sentence "I helped increase revenue at my last company." instead of "I boosted the revenue of my last company by 20%."

When you add the amount - whether directly or via percentage - it makes them think "Hm, he made them 20%, he will do the same for us."

You do not want them thinking that, because what if you raise it by only 19%? Now they feel that you lied to them.

Point 2

Researching the company you wish to work for is another great point that you had. A lot of people do not understand how important it is.

In fact, reading up on someone who got a game programming job out of hundreds of applications, she got it by doing research. She was looking up the building the company was in and found a note that they were looking for a vermin exterminator(rats...). So when she mailed in her resume she also sent them a package of mouse traps. They hired her within a week for it.

Research shows that you actually care about the job. It proves that it isn't something you just want for money, but it is something that you are passionate about.

So, thanks again Reddish, and good luck to all of you! If you have any questions feel free to post here asking. I've taken plenty of courses in job seeking, and I have family members who have been hiring managers before.

After getting denied at a few jobs, I just created my own business and I am making some nice money. It worked out nicely, I have to say. Entrepreneurship is a wonderful thing. Try it sometime, you might be successful.

What exactly are you doing as an entrepreneur? And really, the only negative about owning your own business(especially online) is the lack of guaranteed work. Then again, working in normal businesses as of lately does not seem to be too solid, either.

Great points there for anyone looking to get a job or a new job. But best thing to do is just hunt hunt hunt. Leave no stone unturned. Ask every place you can think of. just don't try for your dream jobs now a days you gotta take what you can get.

After getting denied at a few jobs, I just created my own business and I am making some nice money. It worked out nicely, I have to say. Entrepreneurship is a wonderful thing. Try it sometime, you might be successful.

and as for your own business. That's all said and good but to be very honest very risky. I tried that once and ended up owing more than I made.

Well our local newspaper has jobs every thursday, but about a year ago it was being covered of around 3-4 pages; but now, theres not even a page...Im only 16 - but fortunately for me, im not working yet :D - but when i do, my job range is rather wide.Since i can either be: Computer Programmer, Network manager, Computer fixer (in western computers :D), Engineer, CNC machinist or designer for technical drawings. Ive got the skills for them all :PBut still it will be hard looking for all this, and i guess i could have a hobby of a web designer, and invent something really cool and i could make money out of it - that should keep me alive :D