xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

how to speed up my dail up connetion Boost Up Dial Up Speed

how to speed up my dail up connetion Boost Up Dial Up Speed

please somebody tell me how to speed up my internet connection , I am using GPRS connection connected to my computer and I use USB cable to have dial up with my GPRS

-question by Samrat

Using GPRS will only work if your connection is fast enough and since Dial Up maxes at 56K you need to go with DSL to get some sort of boost. Don't rely on software to give you speed boost for your internet connect as those never work and so your best bet is to see if you can get a better connection.

The only real "boost" that programs can do for you is to cache files better.They don't really speed anything up, instead what they do is, like for example you go to yourname.com:1)Your browser loads up all of the text and headers2)Your browser loads up the background3)Your browser loads up the other graphicsNow what happens with all of that information is that it is saved in your temporary files. As you do a little more browsing it is wiped from those files(also you can use Refresh and that will clear out the files for whatever page you're on and redownload them).The programs that "speed up" your internet are just saving those cached files by increasing the time and size of files that your PC will keep before wiping them. If you are going to a site with a 3 Mb flash file everyday, why keep downloading it? So the program will save the file so you download it once and never again.As far as I know, firefox is a great browser for doing that, and of course it's free.Another alternative is increasing the number of connections your internet can send out to websites, but that is more for broadband than dialup.

Okay but what about us poor schucks that still use the old phonelines for dialup. what is the best way for us to boot up our speeds?I know of keeping my system clean and all that. But is there any way to give it that extra little kick?

Just by using browsers that cache pages instead of always wiping the temporary files(Firefox, Opera, etc.). IE is horrible on dialup because it keeps such a small cache of information. For broadband it's fine(and imo faster - as it's NOT keeping all that stuff there).

Just by using browsers that cache pages instead of always wiping the temporary files(Firefox, Opera, etc.). IE is horrible on dialup because it keeps such a small cache of information. For broadband it's fine(and imo faster - as it's NOT keeping all that stuff there).

That is funny you say that RPG because I get just the oppiset. Firefox is slower on dialup for me of the 3 that I use. IE FireFox and Google Chrome.
Chrome being the fastiest then IE then Firefox.

One thing you might be able to speed up your response time here on the Xisto is to go to your profile (My controls) and edit your settings ( left-hand side column, Options > Board Settings ) and answer no to viewing Avatars, signatures, and posted images.It might help by reducing the overall load when you call the pages. Having less to deliver, the response time should be faster in all Browsers. Also, increase your Cache ot temporary Internet Folder size so you have more room to collect cached images and CSS files, etc.

I haven't used Chrome yet as I am fine with Firefox but as far as I'm understanding they are really the same browser, just Chrome has more additions to it or something.I would suggest trying Opera though..I used that while on dialup and I am 100% sure that it was faster. I think it was because once it loads the text on the webpage it will show up,whereas with IE it waits until most of the graphics are already downloaded as well.

well you can slightly speed up your internet connection by using internet download manager but this only rasises it by a few kilobytes(in my case) or you could try going into gpedit.msc using cmd or run then go to computer configuration>administrative templates>network>Qos packet Scheduler and clicking on "limit reservable bandwith" enable it , double click it and change it from 20% to 0.now you have 20% more backwitch:)or you can simply by mor bandwitch