xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
bishoujo

Steamed Beef With Chinese Cabbage Healthy

Serves eight, as part of a mealINGREDIENTS500g lean beef (I used the fillet) 1 tsp light soya sauce 1 tbs rice wineHalf a head of Chinese cabbage Dip4 tbs light soya sauce1 spring onion, sliced thinly1 red chilli, sliced thinlyJuice from half a lemon1 sprig of fresh coriander, cut into pieces1 25cm-wide Chinese bamboo steaming basket with coverMETHODPlace the meat in the freezer for a little while to harden it so that it is easier to slice. Slice meat as thinly as you can.Season meat slices with light soya sauce and rice wine and leave to marinate, covered, for at least a few hours, if not overnight, in the fridge.Wash and cut off the hard stems from the Chinese cabbage and keep for another time. Cut the leaves and tender stems into small pieces. Bring a kettle to boil and blanch the cabbage leaves.Bring a wok half-filled with water to boil. In the meantime, lay beef slices evenly on the rack of the bamboo dim sum basket. Top with a layer of cabbage leaves.When water boils, place basket, covered, on a plate and place it on a rack in the wok. Cover the wok and leave to steam for 10 minutes.Remove and serve immediately with lemon-flavoured soya sauce dip, garnished with spring onion, red chilli and fresh coriander.My explanation:Not only is there beefy goodness in this dish, it is wholesome eating and takes just 15 minutes to turn out. It is thin slices of beef, cooked by steaming, a cooking method long neglected, especially for meats. It needs no added oil, yet it retains the juiciness and all the flavour of the meat, even if it is a lean cut such as the tenderloin.I first ate beef cooked this way at a sushi restaurant where they used thin slices of well-marbled wagyu beef. I wanted to see how it would turn out if I substituted the marbled cut for a lean one. It worked. The trick lay in the marinating and in the timing of the cooking.You need to marinate the meat for a few hours at least - if not overnight -in light rice wine and soya sauce and cook it for just 10 minutes.The result is tender and tasty meat overlaid with the sweetness of Chinese cabbage, also known as Napa cabbage.It is also low in carbohydrate, which is all the rage these days, yet makes for a satisfying meal with both meat and vegetable on the plate and a piquant dip on the side.To make it even more convenient, both vegetables and meat are cooked together in one of those bamboo dim sum baskets, which practically every household has. The meat is laid directly on the rack at the bottom of the basket, allowing the steam to penetrate it. I served this lightly cooked beef with a lemon infused soya sauce, dressed with thinly sliced red chilli and spring onion and it is sensational eating.Lean beef is an often overlooked cut of meat yet it is a superior source of protein and B vitamins. One serving of lean beef such as a round steak contains just 168 calories and 4.6g of fat, including 1.7g of saturated fat. In comparison, a similar serving of skinless chicken breast has 169 calories and 3.5g of fats, including lg of saturated fat. In fact, there are 19 cuts of lean beef of which the round steak tops the list. The flank, tenderloin and the sirloin (trimmed of its characteristic strip of fat) are included in this group.Anyway, you can generally see if a piece of meat is well-marbled or not. Choose those cuts of meat that are red and not pink in colour. Whether you choose beef, lamb or chicken, all visible fat should be trimmed off before cooking. If you belong to the 0 blood group and follow the blood group diet, you must already know that lean beef is actually good for your health. So, there is more than one way of looking at red meat after all.

Serves eight, as part of a meal
INGREDIENTS

500g lean beef (I used the fillet) 1 tsp light soya sauce 1 tbs rice wine
Half a head of Chinese cabbage

Dip
4 tbs light soya sauce
1 spring onion, sliced thinly
1 red chilli, sliced thinly
Juice from half a lemon
1 sprig of fresh coriander, cut into pieces
1 25cm-wide Chinese bamboo steaming basket with cover

METHOD

Place the meat in the freezer for a little while to harden it so that it is easier to slice. Slice meat as thinly as you can.

Season meat slices with light soya sauce and rice wine and leave to marinate, covered, for at least a few hours, if not overnight, in the fridge.

Wash and cut off the hard stems from the Chinese cabbage and keep for another time. Cut the leaves and tender stems into small pieces. Bring a kettle to boil and blanch the cabbage leaves.

Bring a wok half-filled with water to boil. In the meantime, lay beef slices evenly on the rack of the bamboo dim sum basket. Top with a layer of cabbage leaves.

When water boils, place basket, covered, on a plate and place it on a rack in the wok. Cover the wok and leave to steam for 10 minutes.

Remove and serve immediately with lemon-flavoured soya sauce dip, garnished with spring onion, red chilli and fresh coriander.

My explanation:

Not only is there beefy goodness in this dish, it is wholesome eating and takes just 15 minutes to turn out. It is thin slices of beef, cooked by steaming, a cooking method long neglected, especially for meats. It needs no added oil, yet it retains the juiciness and all the flavour of the meat, even if it is a lean cut such as the tenderloin.

I first ate beef cooked this way at a sushi restaurant where they used thin slices of well-marbled wagyu beef. I wanted to see how it would turn out if I substituted the marbled cut for a lean one. It worked. The trick lay in the marinating and in the timing of the cooking.

You need to marinate the meat for a few hours at least - if not overnight -in light rice wine and soya sauce and cook it for just 10 minutes.

The result is tender and tasty meat overlaid with the sweetness of Chinese cabbage, also known as Napa cabbage.

It is also low in carbohydrate, which is all the rage these days, yet makes for a satisfying meal with both meat and vegetable on the plate and a piquant dip on the side.

To make it even more convenient, both vegetables and meat are cooked together in one of those bamboo dim sum baskets, which practically every household has. The meat is laid directly on the rack at the bottom of the basket, allowing the steam to penetrate it. I served this lightly cooked beef with a lemon infused soya sauce, dressed with thinly sliced red chilli and spring onion and it is sensational eating.

Lean beef is an often overlooked cut of meat yet it is a superior source of protein and B vitamins. One serving of lean beef such as a round steak contains just 168 calories and 4.6g of fat, including 1.7g of saturated fat. In comparison, a similar serving of skinless chicken breast has 169 calories and 3.5g of fats, including lg of saturated fat. In fact, there are 19 cuts of lean beef of which the round steak tops the list. The flank, tenderloin and the sirloin (trimmed of its characteristic strip of fat) are included in this group.

Anyway, you can generally see if a piece of meat is well-marbled or not. Choose those cuts of meat that are red and not pink in colour. Whether you choose beef, lamb or chicken, all visible fat should be trimmed off before cooking. If you belong to the 0 blood group and follow the blood group diet, you must already know that lean beef is actually good for your health. So, there is more than one way of looking at red meat after all.

Okay now I am very hungry. tha sounds so very I would have to use pork or chicken with it though. Not much on red meat now a days. but corned beef sounds as it would be good in it too.

This sounds pretty good.. I like Asian food but I often mess it up because I have no idea what it's supposed to be like in the end.. :angel: Do you have any more recipes? I really like to read about food :(

This sounds yummy, although a bit complicated. An alternative solution is to steam the cabbage, then stir-fry the meat (which won't involve marination, 'cause you can add the sauces and stuff at the end) and then towards the end adding the cabbage to the meat and mixing it a little bit.