xisto Community
-Sky-

Switch From Xp To Vista Switching...

Hey guys.

I always wanted to turn my PC into Windows Vista. Now, the Vista upgrade adviser says I can run the following Vista versions:

Windows Vista Basic

Windows Vista Home Premium

But I wan't to download a copy (.iso {I know that's illegal}) but I want to upgrade or possibly do a fresh installation, so I have Vista and XP. Now, I have downloaded a the Vista Basic Style Shell for my PC but It's not good enough. I actually want one OS Vista, and one OS XP.

Is there any other legal way of doing this, and without buying the DVD as it's like..$100?

Thanks.

Looking past how your acquiring your vista, you need to partition your hard drive either through Disk Management or when your reinstalling the first operating system you partition there. As for the partition sizes for each operating system, you want at least 30GB for XP and at least 100 for vista and the reason why I am giving vista so much is that if you plan to install software on there the WinSXS folder is going ot increase in size and so you will need plenty of room to work with.

I would recommend reading this guide because odds are your using a name brand computer and you need to install the operating system it came with, However, if it don't matter to you this guide starts with Vista first and then XP.

Thanks Michael. I will try it. But how much space would I need if I wipe again my drive and just have Vista on, without XP? My HDD is a maximum of 74.5 GB. So will Vista Basic or Home Premium work?

Why would you want Vista? the only benefit that i see it's the directx10 that if u have a graphic card which is directx10 optimized, but not even that it's a good enough reason cause there are not a lot of games in which directx10 makes a difference.Also u need a better pc i think for Vista, I'm assuming u don't have a good one because of the hard drive space that u said u have. Also about the space don't see why do u want all your hdd just with windows, windows is yust an os :P not much use for an O.S. if u don't run O.S. specific applications on it :PBut to your question no, u don't have another way, you just have to buy it for 100$ if u want it to be legal, and then do what Saint_Michael said. But in my opinion Vista it's a bad choice for you.

Well you arte going to be pretty stretched with such a small Hard Drive. If you are running a desktop computer, try to upgrade your hard drive to about 180GB, otherwise you will be very limited with space. If you cannot upgrade your hard drive your best bet is to go for Vista Basic.

Yes, the .ISO I am downloading now is eithr Basic or Home Premium. I don't really care if it's not legal but lets just end the "illegal" conversation as it's bad on Trap. :P I already have a 20% warning, I dont' want a 40%. :P

If your max capacity for the hard drive is just about 80GB, you are not going to be able to install many programs. Vista is a pretty big space hog. I had it on a 50GB partition and it ate through that so fast. Now I dropped Vista and use XP on a 45GB partition and have a lot of things installed and still have well over half of my space left. Also, if you don't have a very high performance computer, you may notice it running slow. That can be very annoying. But if you are ready to upgrade, I would just run the ISO within XP and choose the upgrade option so you don't have to reinstall and replace everything.

I know Tramp. Eh, forget Vista then. :P I just really like the theme, and it's shell to be honest. Thanks everyone who posted in here and helped me. :P-Sky

I had kind of wanted to make the switch myself, but after reading all this, and knowing the problems friends have had with Vista, trying to copy files and things. I am sticking with XP.

Dear don't worry you know what Vista advisor says a lot but is of no use....Vista advisor says i can run only home premium but i run ultimate version without any hasell so don't worry abt it.....secondly there is no legal way another then this...You have to buy the dvd or download a pirated version.......(i don't suggest this as it creates a lot of problems)