xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rpgsearcherz

Man Has Dentist Office In His House Man charged for having a dentist office in his house..

I really don't know what to say about this story, but wow..

In case you just want a short version of it, a man has a dentist office in his house, as he was an orthodontist over in Ecuador. Now he's being charged with "practicing without a license" because of his methods of work.

Not only this, he worked out of his own kitchen!

There are two feelings on this..

Positive - He helped poor people, who otherwise probably would not have been able to get any care at all. Therefore even if he did make mistakes, it was better than not helping anyone.

Negative - I wouldn't have gone to anyone who was not proven to be certified. Especially in their *home*.

SOURCE:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/28384617/?GT1=43001

Well I can believe that. In a lot of poor counties doctors will use there homes as a office. as for without a license. That too I believe. You have to remember these are poor countries unlike the US and UK. People have a hard time eating much less enough money to go to school to become a real doctor. heck there was a time that doctors would travel on horse back from town to town. Operations right there on a kitchen table. So yes that story is right on the money, sadly but true.

Well he had a license, it just wasn't from the US.And about the story, I could see it as being more understandable if he wasn't in the US, but if he's in the US and he's a dentist..He should have no issues with getting a real firm to take him in.

Well i stand by the positive aspect of this. Teeth pains are the worst :P no one should not be able to get some dental services. If he was good and really helped people i say why not. If he did not know what he was doing and made more worse than good then it's ok fine him.

I don't think a license means very much for poor people with a bad toothache. I'm sure that if they had the option they would have gone to a dentist with license. But they are not cheap. I think it is better to get low quality treatment then no treatment at all. And it's not like he forced anybody to his "office".What I don't understand what does the "office in home" has to do with the way he does the job. It doesn't take much to be a dentist. OK, the basic part is the chair (which he had) with all the instruments. Maybe you can blame him for the lack of pain relief, but where he does his job shouldn't influence the quality of the treatment. If he had a separate office he would have needed to pay extra bills which of course would mean higher prices. It's not a normal situation, but poor people need affordable treatment!

I don't think a license means very much for poor people with a bad toothache. I'm sure that if they had the option they would have gone to a dentist with license. But they are not cheap. I think it is better to get low quality treatment then no treatment at all. And it's not like he forced anybody to his "office".What I don't understand what does the "office in home" has to do with the way he does the job. It doesn't take much to be a dentist. OK, the basic part is the chair (which he had) with all the instruments. Maybe you can blame him for the lack of pain relief, but where he does his job shouldn't influence the quality of the treatment. If he had a separate office he would have needed to pay extra bills which of course would mean higher prices. It's not a normal situation, but poor people need affordable treatment!

Having an office would also most likely mean that he would have better preparance for if an issue occurred. Being that he was in his home, that makes me think that he wasn't prepared for any issues arising.

I agree what it's better to get some care rather than none at all, but serious injury could make issues worse than they were to begin with.

Having an office would also most likely mean that he would have better preparance for if an issue occurred. Being that he was in his home, that makes me think that he wasn't prepared for any issues arising.
I agree what it's better to get some care rather than none at all, but serious injury could make issues worse than they were to begin with.

But what exactly could he have in an office and he can't have at home. It's all about the substances he uses... and how steady his hand is. It's not like he forced people to do treatment.
I think the problem is financial because he doesn't pay taxes as someone registered should. Of course he should have got a license. Thats why I blame him, not for the fact the office=home.

Dentists are basically doctors.Theres no way somebody should be allowed to do this.Obviously the lack of knowledge and skill could endanger people.That's malpractice to say the least.

I would like to clear up that the article doesn't say he didn't charge the poor people. The man had to make money somehow, and he wouldn't be arrested for practicing without a license, if he didn't make money from it. Many people work out of their own homes, and in even the US, they may work out of their own homes, its easier, and the best place for a private practice, to really be private. There are no positives, to what he did. He did illegal work on a poor people, and was most likely paid. If he was licensed in Ecuador, he probably found that he could get more here.

My husband works from here at home. I work from here at home. A lot of people work from home. Home is a good place to be when you want to save money on leasing an office. We even get tax breaks from working at home. Not very many of us have a dentistry license, yet we pull teeth. I have even been known to pull my own teeth. My husband isn't licensed to build fences, but he does it anyway. Does that mean because he hit a gas line while digging a posthole that he should be charged, arrested, and go to jail for not having a license to build fences? Well, apparently, noone thought that or thinks that because he is still working. As the sole proprietor of his business, it just means he's held accountable for accidents, that's what insurance is for. We don't even have insurance. Finally, my last thought on this topic, if I were to go to a person to have a service provided and I didn't feel that the service was going to at least meet the standards I feel are required, that would be an indicater that I need to go somewhere else.

I think that probably should be allowed, over some limits. Working without license is not really honest, and working in the kitchen?-Please! Maybe the man was desperate but this sure isn't the solution. If I went to his 'dentist office' and I used his 'services', and if he had done something wrong to my teeth, who would I complain to? If I said that he's working without a license they probably would of ask me what am I doing to go to irregular dentist, and why I'm not going to my 'matic'(we use that word for the dentist who's the one the state gave you to be in charge of your teeth lol) one. And he probably didn't had the right 'machines' at his kitchen, so the mostly possible thing is that he cannot really fix your teeth. By the way, like the most of the humans, I hate going to dentist.

Well some of you aren't closed to the immigration situation so that's the reason why you misjudge the whole thing. It is true that is wrong to practice as a dentist without a license but sometimes you are leave without a choice. 1. I totally believe this person was a dentist at his country and is as well qualified or maybe better qualified than any other dentist in the US. 2. Well maybe he had his "office" in his kitchen but probably had all the instruments that a regular dentist has.3. When you come to the US and you have a diploma in your home country you have to homologate that degree and as for dentist is almost the same like studying your career all over again, not only is time consuming and you probably doesn't have that time because you have to provide for your family one way or another, but is also extremely expensive, and that is not the only thing but if you don't speak English then it's impossible to take those courses, and to learn English takes time as well, and sometimes even if you do know English there are a lot of technical terms that you probably wouldn't understand so it will take longer, this man was left without a choice. 4. Also psychologically speaking is really sad that had studying for a long time to be a dentist you have to come to a different country and work as a IE. dishwasher just because you can afford to have a license, but you have all the knowledge in the world to be consider an excellent one. So it all comes to offer more affordable and flexible options to certify individuals that can serve in a good way to the society instead of making it even harder. That is a different kind of immigration (The educated people) that can actually help grow their communities. PS. And I'm sure he had a lot of clients because dentist in the US are totally expensive, it's cheaper in my case that I'm from Colombia to go there to get my treatments done than do it here. And I also had a experience with this dentist, we took my brother to get his teeth check and he told us he had like 5 cavities my mom was totally mad she couldn't believe it, but she said I don't have the money to fix your teeth now we're going to have to wait until vacation time. We went to Colombia for Christmas and my mom took my brother to the dentist again, and he told us he didn't have any cavities that his teeth were excellent, just did a little regular clean up and that was all... soo that left you with a lot of thinking to do.. and that 5 cavity dentist was a license one.. so when it comes to steal your money they do anything... :S

Wow, very believable (yet even though it is real) but at the same time, he was a stupid man for not getting a license. He was just asking for it really.There are some weird people out there though, and you gotta pretty stupid to go to someones house to have a checkup!