xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rpgsearcherz

Best Hdd Defragmenter? Diskeeper - OO - PerfectDisk

If you don't like Diskeeper running in the background, you can turn it off. I'm not thinking it makes too much of a difference anyways, as it is more of an idle process than anything. Unless you're just kind of sitting there or surfing the internet(forums?) it won't do any defragging(unless you ask it to of course).As for the boot up defragging of the boot table and MFT, I've been having issues getting it to work since I last reformatted...For some reason when I use the start-up defragmenters(It seems to be any of them, not just Diskeeper) it will give me a black screen when I boot and force me to restart again, thereby not doing anything at all...

I've had the restart problem before where it would fail at the initial checks or something (I can't remember), and then it ends up not doing anything at all.

Then again, I'm not too worried about shaving a few seconds off of boot-time... unless it does make that much of a difference. :P

I know I can shut the service off very easily, but isn't the program dependent on the service itself? Like I said, I can't remember if it's a resource hog or not... but personally, it doesn't bother me much. (Hence, the very minor gripe.)

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Both programs get kudos from two sources that I personally trust. Looks like Defraggler is a dumbed-down, simpler defragmentation program... which actually is a good thing for some people. (No schedules, no background scans... it only runs when you run it.) It might be dependent on what kind of usage you want to get out of the program... and of course, whether you want to fork over the money for Diskeeper's additional features (which can possibly be overrated).

I use AusLogics Boost Speed, it is great and the basic version is free. Of course it has some small downfalls such as you cannot defrag to often in trial. But I still find it amazing and very useful.

@tripleNever heard of that one...I'll check that out as well.@rayzorYou don't need to disable the service. In the program itself just disable automatic defragmentation, :P

Another vote for Diskeeper. Use 2009 Pro on two XP Pro SP3 systems. Great utility- does the job without any fuss and has a small resource utilization footprint even on the auto defrag mode. I even managed to defrag a 250GB drive that had way less than 10% free space with Diskeeper :P

As a quick aside: for those of you using Linux, you're in luck! Unlike your Windows-bound associates, you get the joy of having a filesystem that doesn't need defragmenting. Lucky you, eh? I had pondered this quite a bit when I first took up the Linux mantle, as being a stickler for tidiness I'd kept my XP hard disk well defragmented. Still, if you're still not convinced, I'd suggest Googling for linux defragmenters, not to mention this handy link, which explains it pretty well.

Naturally you'll have fun should you want to start resizing partitions, but Windows users get that anyway. :P

ResponseBest Hdd Defragmenter?

I currently use a Vista, and the defragment program that they give us is probably the worst I've ever seen. I keep pressing defrag, and it just doesn't do ANYTHING for me. So I googled a bit and I found that defraggler was a good program.

The first time I used it, it took me 5 hrs to defrag it. I found this completely normal because I haven't defragged my computer since I bought it (a year and a half ago), so 5 hrs of my time was worth the wait.

The results? I got 60GBs opened up, and when I finished, I noticed that everything was actually a lot faster. Opening folders, pictures, internet things, just everything was faster. I was happy and content with it.

I also heard that everyone should defrag about once every week, so in a week, I tried to defrag again. I hoped that it would take around 20-45 minutes, but instead, after 2 hrs, it still was at 89%. I was pissed and just thought that defraggler was good only if you haven't defragged in a long time.

I then heard about diskeeper, and downloaded the trial version. Right when I ran it, it was FAST, it took me 10 minutes to "defrag" my main memory, but the downside was...I don't think it did a lot. 

Why?

I went back to defraggler (defraggler shows some sort of picture while defragging, while diskeeper doesn't) and it still showed a bunch of fragmented files. I now was even more mad at Diskeeper pro and decided that even if defraggler doesn't take 20-40 minutes like I would've like it to do, I still like it better.

so... +1 vote for Defraggler =]

-reply by Makion

Definitly not PerfectDisk 10Best Hdd Defragmenter?

Wow, PerfectDisk 10 is terrible. I just let it run a full?SMARTPlacement? and it substantially decreased my drive performanceAnd increased my free space fragmentation.

Stats:Vista x648GB DDR2 RamAll nonessential background programs were shut down during this run.

If you need proof, check these links:http://i50.tinypic.com/2qbvv9z.JpgAndhttp://i47.tinypic.com/2ev6u74.Jpg

This program is ridiculously awful. I had such a horrific experienceWith this program that I?m placing this review on multiple sites.

-reply by Gyrolin