xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Tramposch

Cool Website Software?

I am looking for any cool website software that anybody has to share. I feel like I have dealt with everything. I know I haven't but I have used a lot of different forum software, a few different CMSs, ELGG, and a few blogging platforms. I want something new to work with that might be helpful to me now or down the road. I don't really even know where to look for different software. So even pointing me in a direction to find new things would be amazing.I really just need input. Writing what you have to share and a description would be awesome.Thanks.

What kind of software are you looking for? You said software, but then you speak of blogging.So are you looking for website templates, or software to create sites from?If you are going for templates, it also depends on what your plans are. What exactly is the site going to be about/what kind of information are you going to put on it?(Pictures, videos, all text, etc.)If you are wanting software to create different parts of the website, are you interested in just free or also paid?

I will go ahead and list some of the best programs that I have found/have used then. This is going to cover most/all of the web design process.First of all is the actual html design, which Dreamweaver is good for. There are some things I have been unable to do using Dreamweaver's code creation, but it also allows for custom coding in it. Dreamweaver can be used as a WYSIWYG program(What you see is what you get. Pretty much you just drag and drop things onto your site, and it will auto code it).For graphics, I would recommend Photoshop or GIMP. GIMP is free, but I really do not understand how to use it, :). Either one of them is great though. Fireworks is also very good, as it is created specifically for websites.For video, you could use really any video editor for that, but if you are looking to make "awesome" ones you will want something like Adobe Pro Premiere or Sony's program, which I forget the name of.For uploading the site, assuming you are not going to use Dreamweaver, I would go with FlashFXP. It's an easy to use, straight-forward, and fast little program.And onto the actual website itself...For a CMS(Content management system) I would recommend either Joomla or php-nuke. I find Joomla to be an awesome system, with many different features for various things. Php-nuke is decent as well, but I just don't find it as being as customizable.For forums, I would vote for Vbulletin if you are planning on paying, or php-nuke if you are going for free. Those are by far the two best forum systems available, to my knowledge(anyone feel like disputing that?:). I would love to hear about something better. Always looking for newer stuff!)Hopefully this is more as to what you were looking for. If there are any more questions, feel free to ask.

I will check out Vbulliten, I haven't ever used that before. And php-nuke.The hard thing is, I can't be much more specific. I am looking for nothing specifically, just general website software. I just want to expand my knowledge.

I am looking for any cool website software that anybody has to share. I feel like I have dealt with everything. I know I haven't but I have used a lot of different forum software, a few different CMSs, ELGG, and a few blogging platforms. I want something new to work with that might be helpful to me now or down the road. I don't really even know where to look for different software. So even pointing me in a direction to find new things would be amazing.
I really just need input. Writing what you have to share and a description would be awesome.
Thanks.

I have used Joomla. Its a nice CMS one of the best around especially when it comes to installing mods and plugins..not may changes needed and its a flexible system.

The other one i'd recommend you is IPB..but you'd have to pay if you want the full version. Its a software for forums and is one of the best as well..

If you're thingk about money then try SMF..its also Open Source and got a helpful and growind community.

Right now i am using Dolphin community software. Comes in two versions:

a) The ad supported version.

:) The full version without ads but you'd have to pay to remove their links. Its a nice one but is very heavy on the database.

Hope this helps.

I have heard of Dolphin, but never used it. I think I will check that out. I am looking at community software right now and the only decent looking one I have found is ELGG. I'll download the ad version and see how I like it. Thanks for the ideas guys.

I have never even heard of Dolphin before... SMF I heard about first on these forums,lol. It's really amazing how much new stuff I've learned just patrolling the forums searching for random information about things I couldn't care less about, :).

Yea, I have found so much through this forum. If not directly on this forum, then from a user's site I somehow got from the forum. This is a great place. And it has a great theme. I like it a lot better than the old one.

Same here. I don't even have a site hosted right now anymore...I just hang out here for the learning. So much stuff I'd like to learn and the community is pretty helpful overall.