xisto Community
odomike

Do You Need A Content Management System? Then Read This...

Posted Image

ODOMIKE

If HTML isn't your thing and you're planning a website with lots of content, you might want to consider using a "Content Management System," also known as CMS. With CMS, content is stored in a database away from the site's templates, which makes it impossible to destroy the design structure of the site when editing.

CMS systems allow anyone to edit his or her website, regardless of technical skill level. Pages can be added or changed easily without knowing any intricate coding. Many websites that use CMS resemble a portal design. This type of system also works well if multiple people or departments will be making updates to the website.

Most CMS systems must be installed on your web server and require that PHP and usually MySQL also to be installed. Once you decide that CMS is for you, you'll need to decide on which software you'll want to use. Many content management systems are "open source," which means there is no charge to use them and most come with complete documentation for setup and use. Most all of them also offer support forums if you run into problems when installing or you need to ask a specific question.

Let's take a look..

1. CMSimple

Small open source program that's less then 50KB. It's free to use but contains a link back to CMSimple's website. If you're willing to pay $40.00 to register the software, you can remove it.

This program is written in PHP and runs on Linux and Windows32. It does not need a database as the entire site is stored in one simple HTML file.

2. Typo3

Free again and open sourced software that comes with alist of default plug ins such as calendars, forums, guestbooks, polls and more. This software is not for the faint of heart, as there are many customization features along with a big learning curve.

3. Rodin

Requiring PHP & MySQL, on your server this open source software consists of 9 small files weighing in at under 12KB. Very simple to get up and running. If you want more functionality, there are extra add-ons that can be downloaded as needed.

4. WEBApp

Free software written in Perl and runs on a Unix server. WebApp creates a "portal type" set of pages that includes forums, polls, news and others. This system does not require SQL on your web server, but does require Perl 5. One drawback is the limited number of themes that are supplied.

5. ASPBite

A free ASP CMS system with many expandable modules. You'll first need to download and install what's called the "base station" as everything else is built on top of that. Add ons include; polls,feedback forums, FAQ and more. There are more extensive "Pro" modules such as shopping carts and classified ads and others that are available for a fee. ASPBite is easy to use and comes highly rated.

6. PHP-Nuke

This software runs on Linux and Windows servers and does require SQL be installed. Very popular and packed with features including; themes manager, banner ad systems, polls, forums, search engines and others. You'll find a lot of web support and andd ons for this popular CMS system. Price $10.00.

7. CityDesk

Unlike the others, CityDesk is downloadable Windows based software you install on your PC. A very simple layout that allows you to add articles easily. You won't need any special software installed on your web server to use it. Two versions are available: one free, which allows up to 50 files on any one website or the Professional version, which will set you back $299.00. You'll find City Desk as simple to use as any word processor program.

8. MetaDot

This open source portal software is Perl based and allows many user based customizations. Metadot runs on Linux, Apache and requires MySQL. This system would be a great choice for anyone plan- ning a "community site." It comes standard with calendar, polls, end-user personal websites and more. Totally free.

9. DotWidget CMS

CMS software made very easy. Features include a built-in WYSIWYG text editor, multiple users and access levels, customizable templates and more. Your web server must have PHP and mySQL installed. You can easily install DotWidget and begin building your site's structure and adding content. No client- side software is required and all editing is done through your browser. Only $49.00.

As you can see there are many content management systems to choose from, most of which won't cost you a dime. Before deciding on which one is right for you, you'll need to know what software is installed on your host's server and you'll also want to read over the support forums at each site to get an idea of any known problems or issues with each particular system.

A great site for reviewing and rating all types of CMS software is http://www.cmsmatrix.org/. You can check boxes of the software packages you wish to compare and you'll be shown a side by side compar- ison of each along with a full description

If you're planning a community site or any type of website that will require constant editing and additions, a content management system might be just what you've been looking for.

I am considering using a Content Management System myself in the designing of my new website.Odomike Web Host COMING SOON!!!

About the Authur

Michael Odo (A.K.A. Odomike) is the owner and webmaster of Odomike Services Intl. and the designer of the upcoming Webmaster Support Forums. He has been researching a lot on web designing, SEO and Graphics designing.

More infos coming soon on the above topics.

Enjoy my research works guys... :P

It doesnt work that way XeNoToS. It is web designing made easy. They are special softwares meant to assist people who are new in web designing in designing and optimizing their websites and also manage the content of their websites without much troubles with codings and all that.

You dont need to be a web programmer to use a content management system (CMS). All you need to know is the knowledge of computer and been able to understand the terms been used in the CMS.

Why dont you try it? It will really help you a lot.

Edited by odomike (see edit history)

*COPIED POST*216.239.57.104 [slash] search [?] q [=] cache [:] TzxtdJbCJtUJ [:] www [dot] webpronews [dot] com [slash] ebusiness [slash] contentandcopywriting [slash] wpn-6-20050125DoYouNeedaContentManagementSystem.html+%22Most+CMS+systems+must+be+installed+on+your+web+server+and+require+that+PHP+and+usually+MySQL+also+to+be+installed.+Once+you+decide+that+CMS+is+for+you,+you%27ll+need+to+decide+on+which+software+you%27ll+want+to+use [dot] %22&hl=en

Well, at least I had to make some research to be able to get all that info to post in this forum. If i hadnt gone thru the process of the reseach, how would I ave found it from the url you gave above (to OpaQue)?Still trying my best man...To Cragllo...I think the best for you is to use is PHP-NUKE. And thats cos of all the advanced features and templates which it has. The other ones still have those features but it depends upon what you really want in the CMS soft.

Well, at least I had to make some research to be able to get all that info to post in this forum. If i hadnt gone thru the process of the reseach, how would I ave found it from the url you gave above (to OpaQue)?

There's a difference between research and stealing though. What you did was not research. What you did was copying an article and then taking the credit for it. And then you also made some advertising for your own company.
Research would be reading up on content management systems, going to the different websites of the systems, perhaps even installing a few and trying them out, then writing an article yourself.

Having said all that, CMSMatrix is a good site, and definitely worth a look if you're looking for a CMS.

Hmm..This copying and pasting of your so called "reaserch"?, anyways, you guys forgot to mention GeekLog, something like a Blog and CMS System, but more so a blog, but it's stcic pages feature is really nice,

it's a very good CMS - you can check out my example on geeklog

can i give you a tip?DON'T think that a CMS is better than another CMS.just like every script, it depends of what you want.everybody suggests nuke... well php-nuke has millions of tools, but, my friend, i can count with my fingers the tools you'll use. it's not too important how many "modules" it's got, but how good it is.you know when a script is good: - if a friend (a friend isn't somebody behind a screen) tells you is good, or - testing it yourself.if it uses 99% CPU, requires many external PHP modules, and latest PHP/MySQL/Apache version "it's not really good", you know?so, check out what you need and use it: but try it before.also, something great you can do, is to use a script modified by yourself. first something easy (like a contacting tool), and as you get better at it, go ahead anything harder (e.g: chat system).that's what i think, good luck!

I like phpnuke just because i have the most experiance with it. My current site im running for a clan is using nuke and its working well...except for the times the site runs slow because of either many db quiries or Xisto is slow because of too many users or something.Heres the site made with phpnuke: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

im also new to cms and tried joomla a year ago and it seems hard to understand because tweaking it to your preference may be a bit to hard for me... but a week ago i stumbled upon typo3 and i got a very interesting CMS on my hands, it let's you import your own website design (HTML and CSS) and you just indicate where the dynamic content should be placed on your layout... plus like all other CMS there are lots of extensions and plugins available for you to use... wink.gif

Seems a Tad strange that you Never mentioned Joomla or even Mambo in your list Even though Joomla is as far as i have been lead to beileve one of the mot popular content management systems around, im sure Mambo is still kicking around aswell on the Joomla site.

I am surprised you missed more common ones like Joomla and Xoops, both free CMS and very versatile with thousands of templates and hundreds of addons. I am currently using a CMS for the first time and I am having alot of problems with it :D Its running smoothly, but the template I have right now isnt very versatile so im restricted to some things.