xisto Community
leeindia

Are You Satisfied With Your Job?

I have seen many people during my work exerience who hate their jobs but still stick to them to avoid the uncertainities that may arise while changing it. Its not that they lack in talent, but what they are afraid of is change. ( I do not mean to point out at people having genuine problems )My concern is that are these people really doing justice with their job and with themselves?Is it wise to stick to something you don't like and you are not meant for?

Well, unfortunatly, there just aren't a lot of jobs out there that are fun/cool/enjoyable, AND pay the bills. Standing or sitting in one spot all day plugging in your part as something goes by you on an esembly line, or sitting in a little cubical all day fighting with computers and telephones probably isn't very many peoples idea of having a good time. However, that is the vast majority of the types of "work" available. A fun job for somebody might be traveling all over the world sampling local cusine, but how many food shows could we all stand to watch on PBS? News reporters get to travel to so many cool places and get to be right in the middle of the excitement, but there are just so many of those type of slots out there. Cowboys riding and roping on the open range jobs are in pretty short supply too! :-) I certainly enjoy my own job, but in tough ecomomic times it is not a very reliable sourse of income. When folks are worrying about keeping a roof over their heads, they don't consider buying a puppy to feed. But I really do enjoy it, and would not want to do anything else.

I have seen many people during my work exerience who hate their jobs but still stick to them to avoid the uncertainities that may arise while changing it. Its not that they lack in talent, but what they are afraid of is change. ( I do not mean to point out at people having genuine problems )
My concern is that are these people really doing justice with their job and with themselves?
Is it wise to stick to something you don't like and you are not meant for?

I dont think such people will be doing justice to themselves. I ws actually think about it the other day..i love computing and even if it doesn't pay me that good i am willing to do as long as i can earn a living.

The other thing to consider is that people often progress faster and happier when doing the things they lov..thats when they put their maximum effort.

However life is really unfair at times. Sometimes you just dont have a choice and you end up doing something you don't really like maybe for the money or just to get exprience and then leave for something better.

There is no outright answer to this one as circumstances are not aleays the same for different people.
Edited by africa (see edit history)

Thats the point Africa, they dont leave it then. I have seen a few of them who joined a company to gain experience and then go for higher studies. But once in the job, they stop all the preparation. They always abuse their job but never changes it even though they have options in hand.

I know that there are so many people out there that cant stand there jobs. But, when it comes to the end of the week, they get their cheque and thats all that matters.

I love my job. My work is in the sports industry, so I get to watch and monitor sport all day. One person might say that thats one of the best jobs out there and I'd agree. But if you look at others in our workplace, people who hate sport, if they get the option to go home an hour early, they jump at the chance. Me, well if I went home an hour early, I'd be watching the same sport I'd be watching at work, so whats the point.

It all depends on your goals in life. Some collegues are happy to grind out their 40 hours and leave it at that. Some don't have any motivation into impressing and are happy with the setup they have. I know one guy that money is no motivation to him and although he works for his wage, thats to pay his bills and beer. He's happy with life the way it is. He once told me to my face, if he was offered a promotion, he'd decline it because that would be to much a change for him.

There are almost just as many female in my workplace as male and, not being discriminative in any way, 75% of these eighter dont understand the appeal sport has to people or just cant stand it themselves. I used to think to myself, how can you apply for a job here if you hate sport? Well, just as sheepdog said, when people have a job, they are just happy to have one and will grind it out untill its done. When their shift is over they switch off and forget all about it untill they log in the next day. Me on the other hand, when I'm finished will still keep it in my mind.

Friends play a major part of this also. Lots of people go to work with a list of gossip to tell their collegues, or stories about what was on the tele last night. Its a way for them to make their job more enjoyable. These people wouldn't dream of changing job, beause that would only mean they would need to make a whole new batch of friends. And maby even loose the ones they already have.

As you might have your goals in life leeindia, you'd be very surprised the mentality of others. For all you know is that one person might only want to work their to pay off their debt, then plan to travel, or are in the process of setting up their own business and are using the job as security untill their business kicks off. Or maby its the only job they can get. Who knows???

I am a programmer, an all-in-one that can analyze and create database, program and reports. My employer had promised to make my salary a good one. But until now, those other programmers with just little knowledge in programming are getting way bigger than me. I even don't get Christmas bonus!I do always receive interview invitations. But I turn them down because I am the "only" programmer on the company. What would happen to my employer?But enough is enough! Last week, I received a call inviting me for an interview. And so I would give this one a shot :)

way to go berryblitz!!!No need to for you to stay in a company paying you less than what you deserve. They should also realise you're the only programmer in the company and give you a fair share that reflects your importance and efforts.

Definitely I hate my job. It used to be great until a change took place and I was task with a new job scope. I decided to stick around with the hope that one day, I could be transfer back to the old job scope. But time is running out, I guess.

what does it mean to be satisfied with one's job or occupation? In general sense job satisfaction is the positive feeling that results from an appraisal of one's work(Locke,1976). In research specific aspects such as satisfaction with working conditions, pay and co-workers are considered. In practice, American workers actually have a multideimensional conceptualization of job satisfaction. Due to the complex nature of the job satisfaction in some ways(e.g acievement and power) and not in others(e.g pay and working conditions). Factors that make job satisfying at one time may become less important the longer one is in an occupation or as new concerns are raised in society. For example, concern over health and safety problems played a much more important role in job satisfaction in the late 1970s than it did a decade earlier. Additionally, occupational values change over time;military personnel and politicians have lost some of the prestige that they once had, while enviromentally oriented jobs have increased in social health. Given that the structural elements of a job(e.g working conditions) affect satisfaction, an important question is whether the age of the worker is also related to his or her job satisfaction. Almost all of the studies that have investigated the realtionship between overall job satisfaction and age have found a low to moderate increase with increasing age. However there are several important qualifications that need to be made in relation to this finding. First the relationship between worker age and job satisfaction is complex. Satisfaction does not increase in all areas with age. It appears that older workers are more satisfied with the intrinsic personal aspects of their jobs than they are with the extrinsic aspects, such as pay.Second increase in job satisfaction may not be due to age alone but, rather to the degree to which there is a good fit between the worker and the job. From this perspective it is not surprising that increasing age should be related to increased job satisfaction; older workers have simply had more time to find a job that they like or may have simply resigned themselves to the fact that things are unlikely to improve, resulting in a better congruence between worker desires and job attributes showed that the relationship between age and job satisfactionwas due mainly to congruence and having and having an appropriate sense of control over one's job. Older workers also may have revised their expectations over the years so to better reflect the actual state of affairs. Because expectations become more realistic and are therefore more likely to be fullfilled, job satisfaction increased over time.Third, work becomes less of a focus in men's lives as thet age and achieve occupational success. This process of disengagement from work can begin as early as the 30s for men who are not advancing rapidly in their occupations, but it comes somewhat later in men who achieve some degrees of success. Consequently, for many men it takes less to keep them satisfied due to lower work motivation.A fourth reason why job satisfaction increases with age may be that men discover different sources of satisfaction. As man stay in occupation longer, they begin to find satisfaction in different ways. For example, they derive pleasure from accomplishing tasks and from becoming independent in their work. Interesingly, lower level managers become more nurturant as time goes on, but the men at the top of the hierarchy become progressively more remote and detached and less sympathetic and helpful.Finally, there is a growing awareness that job satisfaction may be cyclical. That is, many show periodic fluctuations that are not related to age per se, but rather, to changes that people intentionally make in their occupations. The idea is that job satisfaction increase over time because poeple change jobs or responsibilities on a regular basis, thereby keeping their occupation interestinga nd challenging.

Quite frankly no I'm not, our work is so annoying and they treat us like rubbish. The customrs are sort of mean to us even if we dn't do anything mean. The manger is a anoy stick in the mud that won't get off my back even though if I'm doing something right also an I ou other manager is a pervert. It annoys me so much to work there but I guess I have to othrwise no money for me :P

Do I enjoy my job? I don't necessarily enjoy my job but I do like that its not hard work especially for the rate of pay. Management seems nice and the atmosphere of the place isn't so bad. There will always be a few people who worked for a long time and dread this place because they know the place up and down like its their own kid. The only thing is I wished my health insurance kicked in already. hehe

I think the same. It is really hard to find a job that you completely love and also pay the bills, I really enjoy my job, It have some advantages and disadvantages like everything in life, nothing is perfect. But for example people who really hates their jobs it´s not that they are not being fair to themselves but it´s that maybe they have a lot of responsibilities over their head so it´s not that easy to say I´m tired I quit and that´s it. Who´s going to bring the food to the table. Maybe they´ve been looking while working in their awful jobs but they haven´t found anything, it´s really hard to judge by that because you simply don´t know what´s going on in the lives of others.

I think a good job is the one where you feel like your growing, that everything you do is being helpful for somebody and your job is appreciated. Also that have benefits besides the payment, retirement plan, health insurance, I don´t know there are a lot of benefits that can make people work happier. For example (and I´m totally jealous :o) my boyfriend landed a job where he gets breakfast and lunch everyday for free and it´s spectacular, he is really picky when it comes to food and he says the food of his company is great so I totally believe him (and he has gained weight) hahaha :) so that must be truth, that´s one really cool benefit just imagine how much money do you save by month.

I also think is the company responsibility to keep their employees happy so they make their work with more energy and love, if the employees are happy the company is happy, off course easier said than done.

Well, unfortunatly, there just aren't a lot of jobs out there that are fun/cool/enjoyable, AND pay the bills. Standing or sitting in one spot all day plugging in your part as something goes by you on an esembly line, or sitting in a little cubical all day fighting with computers and telephones probably isn't very many peoples idea of having a good time. However, that is the vast majority of the types of "work" available. A fun job for somebody might be traveling all over the world sampling local cusine, but how many food shows could we all stand to watch on PBS? News reporters get to travel to so many cool places and get to be right in the middle of the excitement, but there are just so many of those type of slots out there. Cowboys riding and roping on the open range jobs are in pretty short supply too! :-)
I certainly enjoy my own job, but in tough ecomomic times it is not a very reliable sourse of income. When folks are worrying about keeping a roof over their heads, they don't consider buying a puppy to feed. But I really do enjoy it, and would not want to do anything else.

You are very right in saying that many of them are not doing a job which actually they like and thats true. Even in my case I am doing a job which I don't like but unfortunately now a days getting a government job is very difficult and due to which I am not interested in leaving the job also. What to do, actually here you are also very correct when you say that its difficult for them to make a change or they are afraid of. Very true. But playing with future is also not easy at a stage when you have your family after you looking after you for their daily needs. You have to think about them and their future before yours. So thats it my dear friend its very difficult get everything as per your wish only thats what I have understood from this life.