xisto Community
Saint_Michael

Firefox Users Targeted By Rare Piece Of Malware

Though it is rare for Firefox to get hit by the hackers either by trojans, malware, spyware and stuff like that but it would seem Firefox finally got tagged. Called Trojan.PWS.ChromeInject.A this little piece of malware likes to hide in your addons and then when you start firefox it goes to work taking your passwords and the bad part about this is that this program likes to run under the Greasemonkey name and so if your one of the millions to have greasemonkey installed you could run into some more problems. The security company BitDefender was the one who discovered this piece of malware and have updated accordingly and the other vendors are soon to follow.

SOURCE

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/

Sounds bad. You can only get it by downloading a bad addon, right? I don't often download them, so I should be safe, but thanks for the info.

I checked out a few more articles and it didn't mention which version is was on, but if oyu think about the add-on part of firefox is usually universal in terms of where the add-ons and extensions are placed in. Wait nevermind it says it affects firefox 3 only and here is some more info on this trojan.

Edited by Saint_Michael (see edit history)

Wait nevermind it says it affects firefox 3 only and here is some more info on this torjan.

If it requires that DLL file in order for the trojan to do its thing, then i guess it is only limited to Windows users. Even if it wasn't, i don't have Greasemonkey installed on my Firefox, nor do i use Firefox as my main browser, even more so on any Windows computer i have.

No you don't need Greasemonkey in order to make this trojan to work it takes the disguise of Greasemoney and so if you have Greasemonkey installed then you might see two instances of Greasemonkey running instead of one. However, if you don't have greasemonkey installed they you might need to look out for this to make sure your not infected with this trojan.

I have been using Firefox since 1.0 and love it. I just checked and their is no instance of Grease Monkey in the add-ons. I use the free Avast anti virus and active scanner. Once Avast has got this Malware into their data base I think the active scanner would catch it. And then I'd have to do a full scan to make sure it isn't hiding in my system. please correct me if my logic isn't correct on this. Thanks for the heads up Saint Michael!

I had this , it seriously altered firefox and slowed everything down. I had to system restore two days ago to get rid of it. I wouldn't be suprised if it was Microsoft who released it :)

This doesn't affect me because I'm not on Windows (nor I will ever be) and I use Opera as my main browser (which has it's own User JS which is better than Greasemonkey), so I'm fine and I'll always be :)

I'm glad to hear you have to have Grease Monkey installed for the trojan to take effect. I've only installed one add-on to my Firefox, which Firefox 3 didn't support, so it was uninstalled. Still glad that I saw this topic though, in case I ever thought about getting it.By the way, what exactly does Grease Monkey do?

This is a bit concerning since I used firefox as my main browser. I've never had one single problem with trojans or viruses since I switched to firefox 3 or 4 years ago. Hopefully my internet security suite will take care of it and prevent me from being infected? *fingers crossed*and What exactly is GreaseMonkey?

@Forte - Grease Monkey runs scriptsDoes it run with only "Grease Monkey" disguise or are there any other forms also ?I am seriously at threat .. My main browser is Firefox 3 and All my passwords are stored in this only.. I don't even remember most of the pwds :PGuess I'll have to switch to Opera. . Is there a software to retrieve passwords from Firefox ..

I've never had any problem with firefox as far as viruses go.I don't use greasemonkey either. This virus is definitly a surprise to me.Hopefully Firefox is a little quicker solving these problemsthan microsoft is with internet explorer.

Ouch. It's kind of nice to see that IE isn't the only one being hit by that kind of stuff.I find it sad that so many people resort to making trojans and other virii though. I mean seriously, what is the point? To show off? Personal glory? To obtain something that would potentially get them arrested if used?I just really can't quite grasp it, myself.And don't get me wrong, I'm not against the creation of virii/trojans/etc. for learning purposes, but to spread them out world-wide, especially faking another companie's(addon's) name, is wrong.