xisto Community
err

Google In Your Local Language fantastic or funny side

early moth in this year, january 2005. it was surprised me when i browsing internet. i open google.com as usually, the page shown is directed to google.co.id, mean they know where i came from (maybe from my ip), in my national language. what i surprised is there is a link for "boso jowo" too, my local/region laguage. :P :P :P.Is that - google in your country, also available for your local/region laguage instead of national language?

I live in Canada, and google always directs me to google ca. Actually, I don't think they know it from your ip address, but from a cookie. We all know that google has a 37 year cookie stored on your computer and records all your search terms and sites you went to from the google website. Do not worry! Delete your cookies and this won't happen (although it's not anything bad... just a small fact!)

Google checks where you are browsing from by checking your IP. Then if it has a page for your country you get redirected to that page. The cookie overrides the IP check as far as I know. So if you have a cookie for Germany and you browse from France, you'll get to the German site (or so I've been told, I haven't tested this myself).

Anyway, you can set the language to any of the available no matter where you are. Try out Elmer Fudd, hacker or bork. They're funny :P There are lots of languages on the Preferences page, even Klingon.

same here, but i am used to google search in english so what i bookmark is the english/international page. bjrn, those examples you gave are hilarious! :P maybe i'll change my bookmark to one of those. :D

btw, nowadays i cant browse google.com again.it always directed to google.co.id, even if i choose english lang, the address just moved to google.co.id/en/ instead of google.com.i've ever try some month ago to change in some languages, the result of searching is differnt rank with the same kayword. how could it be? seems they use different directory database.

I have switched my preferences to Elmer Fudd, so I get "Youw seawch - searchthatdoesntmatchanydocuments - did not match any documents. Oh, dat scwewy wabbit!" when I search for something with no search results. :P

i live from spain and if you go to google.es you can see google spain, is very complete and have automatic translation of english unless to this forum :P ,but so i learn more english that i have.this forum is that english class in my school, but i go to university i?m a bit old person,but well i have young soul. :P

There are times when Google redirects me to the local Google, I appreciate thier effort but most of the terms and sentences were literally translated as if they were making fun of our local language. I don't know how they came with those translations, but they are obviously grammatically wrong. :\

in the case of the Spanish speakers, each country has its own google... for example, Chile (google.cl) Bolivia (google.com.bo) Costa Rica (google.com.cr), etc... In any case, there are no great differences between the versions of google in Spanish.

I've seen the Philippine version way back, but I'm not used to it. It feels wrong for me to see it in Tagalog, so I always switch back to English.bjrn, those links are funny XD Too bad I use the Google search bar built-in my browser, so I don't get to go there just to search.

There are times when Google redirects me to the local Google, I appreciate their effort but most of the terms and sentences were literally translated as if they were making fun of our local language. I don't know how they came with those translations, but they are obviously grammatically wrong. :\

Oh, thank gawd, Google Pilipinas wasn't like that. I mean, yeah, technically, it was all like our language was butchered but on second thought, that's almost exactly how we speak here. Web is displayed as web, 'coz if it were translated as "sapot" it would refer to a spider web and not the www. Likewise, the words advertising and directory were retained.

There are lots of languages on the Preferences page, even Klingon.

This is the first time I was made aware of this. All along, all I had was my Klingon Google tlhIngan Hol. I changed the homepage in the computer lab to this and everyone was like, "What the... nejwI' 'Itlh?!?"

Up 'til now, I am still using the Klingon Google. However, I'm also quite enamored with Google Bork, bork, bork! I just might try it some time :lol:

It also happens in my country. At first it would send me to google in spanish, and then a couple of months later it was google.com.mx. Its kind of annoying sometimes, because when Im looking for something in english or the united states I get results from over here, which is sometimes not what I am looking for.

This is a relative old thread and much might have changed since it has been started. If you visit google and your regional google site appears you can still force it to go to google.com. Just click the Google.com in English to the lower right of the google form. Have a look at the screenshot I made from the German google.de:

Posted Image