xisto Community
Saint_Michael

Since Trap17 Is Being Upgrade I Suggest Some Forum Changes

I got a different problem after upgradation of the forum. I have to manually login to Xisto every time I re started my system. The remember me option is not working with new system for me. After some observation I found that the remember me option is not working with new ip. Everytime I got a new ip(my connection is dynamic ip) the site is automatically log me out even though the system is not restarted. Then I have to login again.

I'm getting much more annoying problem after that. The shoutbox is displaying messages that I don't have permission to access the shoutbox, its ok if it displays once, but the shout box is keep showing that message many times after pressing the OK button. I have to press OK many times to get rid of this and login again.

Is anyone facing the same problem?

Nice work there Michael. And very nice work OpaQue and Buffalo for the forum and skin upgrades. :D But now we should get more active members. :D

I have a small suggestion: Why not add a + sign to the HOSTED members group? So it'd be: +HOSTED and hosted members would have the following on their names, for example: +Saint_Michael. How about that idea anyway? :P

EDIT:

<span style="color: Red; font-weight: bold;">+</span>
Notice from truefusion:
No need to sign your posts off with your forum name. Not only is your forum name attached to all posts automatically, the new forum skin emphasizes such a thing.

I love that. That's what IPS does to signfy which clients have purchased their software, and which have not. Kind of makes you feel like you are above some members a little :D

I was pretty sure that OpaQue wanted to remove the hosted members group all together. Since everything is going over to myCents there really is no fine line between hosted and non-hosted members. For example, what if a member used his myCents to buy a domain only? I think the only information displayed next to each member that has anything to do with your hosting is that member's myCents.

Ug I always hated that mod because all the websites I have seen over the years who got like 100 different groups used some variation to it and it was quite annoying. Now yeah Hosted group title is going to be remove, most likely next year and so odds are a topic will be created as to what group titles people would be interested in. I think though that bk2070 hit a good idea and with a little php scripting a member will be able to select which hosting group they are in, either Xisto or Xisto - Web Hosting but again the topic of group titles and stuff like that will have be discussed in a later topic though.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get rid of that damn answers.com thing, since it's been introduced its been driving me crazy, everytime I double click to select it appears. I hate it with every morsel of my being

make it stop...

make it stop...

please... make it stop :'(

I don't get why people are complaining about this... Why are you double clicking the webpage anyway? There should be no reason for you to double click something on the webpage. I actually think the answers thing is great for people who may not be as fluent in english so they can double click on words they are not familiar with. I however, have found something way more annoying than the answers.com thing. It's that god damn ContentLink. It ads links to words to random websites and if god forbid i hover over it for a moment a massively annoying div layer blocks most of the post. I understand that OpaQue needs to make money somehow to pay for this hosting, but can the ContentLink only show up on the LoFi version or something? It is driving me insane.

Yes, please bring this back, I used to use this list all the time and now I feel a bit lost without it.

I agree on both arguments about this mod I found it annoying that when I clicked on white space that pop up would show up on me :), but again I have to agree that double clicking in the forum is a bit unnecessary unless your using the right click button after tricking out your browser with extensions like I have with firefox :)

This is just a personal gripe... but could we bring back New Posts/New Topics at the bottom of each page like it was before?

More categories would be nice too... I find myself putting a lot of things under General Talk, but then again, we'll have to identify them as they come along.

Suggestion :

I think this new theme lacks the links to "Recent Threads" and "Recent Topics". SO it needs to be updated soon. This theme looks good and loads fast as well, but lacks some navigational features. B)

For some who don't know that was another mod that was built in house and because of the upgrade process, each mod has to be tested to make sure no bugs are in the system and to make sure it works properly. Cause of that odds are the code for this mod has to be change slightly in order to work properly again and so don't worry because the upgrade to this forum is not even at 100%.

As for the sub-categories of the Tutorial Forum, simply add tags to suit the individual Tutorial.

Add a CSS tag or an HTML tag according to the nature of the Tutorial... then the Tutorials will be "tagged" and searchable on the Tags.

Yeah still, members are not going to go through every single tutorial and tag them though and so this is rather a more organized and quicker solution especially at 700+ tutorials. OF course the other argument that ti would take a lot longer for the mods to go through each tutorial to decide which one it belongs to as well and so that is why I think it was put off for so long because no one had the time to go through them all and what not.

I got a different problem after upgradation of the forum. I have to manually login to Xisto every time I re started my system. The remember me option is not working with new system for me. After some observation I found that the remember me option is not working with new ip. Everytime I got a new ip(my connection is dynamic ip) the site is automatically log me out even though the system is not restarted. Then I have to login again.

I'm getting much more annoying problem after that. The shoutbox is displaying messages that I don't have permission to access the shoutbox, its ok if it displays once, but the shout box is keep showing that message many times after pressing the OK button. I have to press OK many times to get rid of this and login again.

Is anyone facing the same problem?

Well if your switching different IP numbers each time that means the browser cookies are going to be changing each time as well and so there not much you can do about that unless you get a static IP number. Of course, there could be a solution to this since I think other members might have dynamic IP addresses as well. As for the shoutbox hard to say what could be causing the problems, but have you tried clearing the browser cache and the cookies to see if this my stop that problem?

As for the answers.com popup on double-clicks, I don't find this a problem because I don't double-click much (single words are easy to retype so I don't double-click to highlight - triple clicking to grab a paragraph I might do)! On top of that, it only seems to be working on some words - and I couldn't get it anywhere on SM's post! Is this a Chrome thing or is it just that SM has an anti-answers.com aura?I don't find the ContentLink advertising obtrusive, but it is somewhat annoying when it makes the words harder to read (pink!?) - can we have something in place to stop such un-co-ordinated colours happening? It's annoying to need to either highlight or tilt down my laptop monitor to read some words.Tagging should be a user thing, it would be easier if each user went and tagged their own tutorials than if the moderators went around to every single tutorial.@xpress - If it's a dynamic IP causing this (i.e. being logged out and shoutbox saying you don't have permission (I'd assume a session ID validation error)), then that's probably something the admins should work a fix to, as I'm sure you aren't the only one on a dynamic IP. Such a fix would probably be allowing you to disable your session ID being locked to your IP address, which I've seen on other websites before, but it may be a little hard to implement if IPB has this automatically done (not that I would know, ask OpaQue!)

This is just a personal gripe... but could we bring back New Posts/New Topics at the bottom of each page like it was before?
More categories would be nice too... I find myself putting a lot of things under General Talk, but then again, we'll have to identify them as they come along.

I have to agree. Bring it back. Was so simple, just click and you was there. now it seems you have to search everthing.
Also maybe a small Arcade would be nice, that may bring some new members in too.

I have added this job as a task and I will delete all the mail addresses from posts ;-)

Thanks, im sure a lot of people, me included will breath a sigh of relief not to have our emails on show.

Much appreciated :)

I have to agree. Bring it back. Was so simple, just click and you was there. now it seems you have to search everthing.

I believe it was a custom modification, so OpaQue will need to work on the code to make sure it will work OK with the new forum version. This will take time, especially with all the other things needing to be done with the forums at the moment. In the meantime, use the icons next to the forum categories. They turn orange when there are new posts in that area of the forums, and blue when there aren't. That way you can see where there are new topics for you to take a look at.

Also maybe a small Arcade would be nice, that may bring some new members in too.

The forum games were moved to http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ so you may wish to look there for your forum gaming needs.

In the meantime, use the icons next to the forum categories. They turn orange when there are new posts in that area of the forums, and blue when there aren't. That way you can see where there are new topics for you to take a look at.

To add to this, near the top right there's a link called View New Posts, which is about as close as you can get to the latest posts section we had at the bottom of each page, if you haven't noticed it before.

To add to this, near the top right there's a link called View New Posts, which is about as close as you can get to the latest posts section we had at the bottom of each page, if you haven't noticed it before.

You could alternatively use the My Assistant link, if for some reason you felt like not leaving the page to view new posts.

And to make it a lot better, here is a tasty link you can bookmark (and by link, I mean small script of javascript) that will popup the new posts and scroll it to where your window is. Bookmark it if you like (remove the space between java and script - the forums automatically insert it (possibly to prevent xss or something)).
java script:buddy_pop();xml_myassistant_init("posts");document.getElementById('get-myassistant').style.top=(389+document.body.scrollTop)+"px";void 0

edit) I LOVE THIS SCRIPT :)

.edit) Okay, before the random br tag insertion is fixed, here is a quick fix:
java script:function a(z){z.value=z.value.replace(/\[\/br\]/g,'\n').replace(/\[br\]/g,'')}if(y=document.getElementById('ed-0_textarea')){a(y)}w=document.getElementsByTagName("TEXTAREA");for(i=0;i<w.length;i++){if(w[i].name=="Post")a(w[i])}void 0

Remove the space between java and script and bookmark it - then click on the bookmark when you are editing text to change the br's into \n's. Note: All the variables are one letter long, so there could potentially be collisions with variables used by the board - there shouldn't be though.

..edit) Fixed extra lines glitch.
Edited by Nabb (see edit history)

Nabb, I love it! I didn't even realize that IPB had the feature I needed already built in, only hiding on a super secret div layer. Thanks for sharing this marvelous solution with us to bring that hiding little my assistant out and put it to good use.

don't get why people are complaining about this... Why are you double clicking the webpage anyway? There should be no reason for you to double click something on the webpage.

Its a force of habbit, I use it to copy and paste, secondly if you don't speak English, then use Babel fish, or Google Translate or whatever, the stupid thing is annoying as hell. You speak English, i'd like someone who doesn't who uses it to object as your opinion as speaking fluent English on the subject is unjustified.