xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
MartinaMargarethe

Antidepressants & Memory Loss memory loss

Have been depressed as long as I can remember, since about 3 years old. Now 49.Have tried sundry of new antidepressants, but all had side affects, on balance sexual. Problem: I'm currently running a warehouse. Work efficiently and effectively, but my boss & office mgr. find it really weird that I can't remember specifics on orders I've worked on. Are my concerns of memory loss due to antidepressants justified? Thanks!

The side effects of a prescribed drug is for your doctor to explain. Only he/she can determine the antidepressants--more than one??--may cause memory loss. Perhaps the combination of multiple antidepressants are causing unwanted side effects.And is it justifiable? If the side effect you're facing is mentioned by antidepressant manufacturer and your doctor prescribed knowing this side effect, the answer is yes. But would it also likely that your memory retention is affected by your age? I'm just opening up a possibility here, not accusing of any. I noticed that my concentration and memory returned dramatically when I adjusted my diet to include fish and more vegetables rather than strict meat and poultry I have come accustomed.And your memory on a specific order may be unclear if you're doing huge volume and you're not paying attention. For example, what you're doing almost automated fashioned checking the list and order slip and clearing them, how could anyone expect to remember if you do that over 100 similar orders a day? And especially you've been doing the same job over many years is it possible that your mind is kind of bored at the same repetitive action? In which case, by providing mental stimulating exercises may cure the absence of your attention.However the case may be, first consult with your physician. It is absolutely important that your doctor knows what goes on with your life as you take prescribed drugs.

i'm not a doctor but i do know that these doctors and psychiatrist are very stupid in prescribing meds. meds affect everyone different so you really have to know your own body and how the different meds doctors like to use you as a guinea pig for affect you. you need to be aware and pay close attention to the affects that it has on YOU.i would investigate other methods to help depression than what a doctor may prescribe. funny enough, i have known people who have taken anti depressants and it made them suicidal. so be very carefull. also, some doctors are VERY stupid in somtimes mix medications that shouldn't mix together.i don't trust doctors one bit! but yes, i have heard that memory loss is common with some medications. now i am not going to say get off your meds, but just please be very aware on how your medications are affecting you so your psychiatrist or doctor can adjust them til they are working for you with as little side affects as posible....meantime, i seriously suggest looking in to natural alternatives. i also hope you are talking to someone at least once a week for your depression. when doctors precribe crap that they don't know how it will affect you, your body and mind will go through changes....and sometimes not good ones so it's also good to always see someone once a week.

Have been depressed as long as I can remember, since about 6 years old. Now 46.Have tried many of new antidepressants, but all had side affects, at bottom sexual.
Problem: I'm currently running a warehouse. Work efficiently and effectively,
but my boss & office mgr. find it really weird that I can't remember specifics on orders I've worked on.
Are my concerns of memory loss due to antidepressants justified?

Thanks!

I would be very careful about seeking those sort of answers from a forum like this. There may be people qualified to offer an opinion but it is such an important area that you would really want a good answer. I would take a whollistic approach to dealing with depression and not just rely on medication. Getting counselling/skills building, trying natural supplements, excercise and diet all are other strategies.

You really need to understand what you are takling and resarch it yourself and find some answers. Don't just rely on Doctors who have such a limited view but go to other natural health practictioners such as naturopath who treat the whole person and look at some of the things above.

Also you have have things such as nuts (cashews) and supplements such as brahmi, gingko biloba and fish oil (1000mg) to improve memory.

Also you could look at how you record information and see if there is a way of recording jobs that will prompt you to be able to remember key points.

Be well, be fit and be healthy.

KJ

Martina, I sympathize with you. My story is quite similar to yours. I started on the anti depressants about ten years ago. I have tried them all. They seem to make me crazier than I already am. The ones that I was able to stick with made it to where I don't feel anything either good or bad. Recently I have started eating better like the other posts mentioned. One of the best things that I have done of late is started taking B-12. My father in law told me that as we get older our bodies loose the ability to break down our foods to the point where we get the essential nutrients needed to function properly. I have tried all kinds of vitamins and supplements to no avail. But the B-12 seems to keep me alert and calm at the same time. I'm no doctor or guru and I'm not trying to advise you to do anything. I'm just speaking from my experience, strength and hope. My experience is a lot of loss, my parents were murdered a few years ago and my brother killed himself a few years before that. my strength seems to be dwindling away slowly with each traumatic event in my life. And I'm just plain *bottom* running out of hope. The one thing that keeps me going is every day I see and hear about people that are a lot worse off than I am. The one thing that makes sense to me is, Garbage in = Garbage out. So whatever I put into my body and mind is what I'm going to end up getting back in my life. I wish you the best of luck. Their are a lot of free support groups out there, whether they are on the net or in your community.