xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Saint_Michael

Oregon Woman Loses $400,000 To Nigerian E-mail Scam

Well the title says it all and the thing is I don't feel sorry for her because she had ample warnings from her friends, family and of course if your living under a rock the news, internet, websites, magazines etc etc. So really how are these people still falling for this and you would think red flags would get waved when your getting emails from the United Nations and President Bush to help them out and that my friends is really baffling. The sad thing though is that as long as you have people like this the scammers are going to be pulling the same stuff over and over again and $400,000 is no joke that is a lot of money and she could lose everything including the house, car and other possessions because demon known as greed got to her. As for here statement at the end, well next time listen when you get an email saying you will get millions of dollars from someone you don't know in a country you don't live.

SOURCES

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,453125h/cybersecurity.html

My question is where does she think the money is going to come from. If a long lost cousin/relative of hers needed money, how was that person or whoever helping them going to all of a sudden give her over twenty million dollars in repayment? Yet again, how does she know what an official looking document would look like if she had not received them before. Anyone can photoshop something to look authentic or professional. She says she was not an easy target but don't you think that she should have at least done research to see if these emails were scams or not? It is not hard to look for a name and look for people with similar names to guess if they are s scammer. When something seems too good to be true, do a lot of research before you go and jump on a runaway train with no brakes hoping for a miracle.

If she only listen to the warnings. I would probably ask myself why would Bush and the FBI want my help. And even if they really need help, I WONT!just remember that if it invloves money, then theres a possibility of scumbags scams.

i've gotten emails like that saying i will get money but i don't listen to them. here is one

FROM THE DESK OFDR JOHN NICOL
REGIONAL MANAGER
INTERNATIONAL COMMERCIAL BANK
KUMASI BRANCH GHANA.

HELLO DEAR,

My name is John Nicol, I am the regional manager of the International
Commercial Bank kumasi branch Ghana.I got your information during my
search through the Internet. I am 48years of age and married with 3
lovely kids. It may interest you to hear that I am a man of PEACE and
don't want problem,but i don't know how you will feel about this
because you might feel that its scam yes there are many scammers. but
am telling you that this is real and you are not going to regret after
doing this transaction with me. I only hope we can assist each other.
But If you don't want this business offer kindly forget it as I will
not contact you again.

I have packaged a financial transaction that will benefit both of
us,as the regional manager of the International Commercial Bank; it is
my duty to send in a financial report to my head office in the capital
city Accra-Ghana at the end of each year. On the course of the last
year 2007 end of year report, I discovered that my branch in which I
am the manager made Three million seven hundred and fifty thousand
dollar [$3, 750.000.00]which my head office are not aware of and will
never be aware of. I have since place this fund on what we call
SUSPENSE ACCOUNT without any
beneficiary.

As an officer of the bank I cannot be directly connected to this
money,so this informed my contacting you for us to work so that you
can assist receive this money into your bank account for us to SHARE.
While you will have 40% of the total fund .

Note there are practically no risk involved, it will be bank to bank
transfer,all I need from you is to stand claim as the original
depositor of this fund who made the deposit with our branch so that my
Head office can order the transfer to your designated bank account. If
you accept this offer to work with me, I will appreciate it very much.

As soon as I receive your response I will details you on how we can
achieve it successfully.I will want you to reply me through my private
email address at (drjohnicole@hotmail.com)

Best Regards
Dr John Nicol

its not as if anyone is going to believe this crap. i really don't understand how anyone could be so stupid to buy into this stuff. i searched this guy on the net and i came up with a website that showed the exact same email anouncing that it was a scam. if he really works at the international commercial bank then why doesn't he put his work email there? it is a hotmail email address so its obvious its a scam. but even aside from that is already screaming out to you "THIS IS A SCAM". but those scammists who scam people must be thinking "how could anyone be so stupid?" i'm thinking the same thing.

i don't feel sorry for the woman either. i just think that it is truely sad that people can be that stupid.

I find it funny that people fall for these tricks. The Nigerian tricks have been going on for years now. They also do fake money orders that don't bounce for over a month.For those of you who did not know about them, more or less you cash the money order, you ship out the item(since the order did in fact get paid) and then over a month later you get charged the amount the bank or post office gave you, since the money order was fake.

I feel a bit bad for her, but she should have known it was coming.I personally like:
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
For looking at stories of how this guy strings along these people :)
If you have common sense, unless you have physical proof it is true, it is too good to be true.

What's the old say, stupid is what stupid does. Or something like that. I can not tell you how many E mails I have got over the years like that, Same with PMs giving some sob story like. A am American stuck in Afria. My father or Mother lives here and they are dying. I need XXX amount of $$ and so on and so on.