xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Scoutmann

Is 14 Too Young?

Hey i live on a ranch and I have 2 cars, no one in my school eyeballs me about it, but i feel kinda weird explaining it. Any way is 14 too young to have them?But I don't think so, its taught me to slow down and think about things, I do drive them to feed. And one is a stick, and I got it to thirty on my second day driving it. I have been driving for a year now, just around the ranch and stuff. I know for a fact as long as I am on my own property, and no one gets hurt, its legal, as long as i don't go one the county road. But is wrong for me to have them.Heres the deal. I have always loved cars. One was my brother old 75 IH Scout, and If you've had a Scout you know they can rust away real easy without tlc. And it wasn't runnin right, so he brought it down to the ranche and left it. My dad drove it for a while to shoot out of, but then it died, and it was forgotten, until christmas 04. My mom was talking to my brother about the future of the Scout, and he said give it to Scoutmann (hence my name). So from then on I got it running again, with some help from my dad and his friends (to drop the fuel tank). But I have done most of the work and most of the genral reapirs, like fixing the light, radio, antenna, doors, headliner, back door, sideboard, spark plugs, and fixing the manual window lever. Now its the picture of health(sorta).My other Truck is a 1974 Chevy, the old ranch truck (the stick). We bought the ranch about, oh 10-11 years ago, and for the first few, we used the chevy to feed, then because it didn't have 4-wheel drive, he bought a kawaski Mule. The Chevy was downgraded to summer feeding truck, then to huning truck and then to the lowest postion, 2-ton yard art because my dad said "we didn't need it". Then, I couldn't stand it anymore, the grill was falling off, the doors would hardly open, it quit running, and it had grass literally growing IN the best, not from under neat, in the bed. That was the final straw, I went an begged an pleaded to mom, and finally after a month she said I could have, only if i cleaned it up an someday got it running. I was ecstatic. It no runs after a shorting out mishap, where I had to take the starter out, (my dad had showed me how to do it earlier this summer.) I took it with me and we went to town and it tested out. The next day i tole my dad that i was going to pt it back in. He said uh huh, and said go ahead and try. Well I am sure glad I had been workin out, beacuse that thing was a Batch to put in. But i did it, and when my dad came down he asked if I needed any help and watched in amazment when I said no and fired the truck on up. Over all on it i have Fixed the grill, replaced fuses, cleaned up the years of grease off the steering wheel (it was so bad it looked and felt like the steering wheel was meltin), fixed and greased the locks and doors, fasion new grill clips(my dad said It couldn't be done), Made a new pin for the spring on the wind sheild wipers( Again dad said it couldn't be done), fixed the tailgate, and am in the process of fixing the connector for the windsheil antenna. And I mastered driving that stick in less than a week.Now do you think its right for me to get mad, when my dads had a few, gets mad at me when I talk about the few other things that they need like gas, and he threatens to haul them away?

I must shamefully admit, I do not have a very encouraging opinion of teenagers who think too highly of themselves. However, I really have to admit, I am very much impressed that you have managed to take care of those two vehicles much better than grown-ups. I do suppose I should be more appalled that they could afford to let a perfectly good resource rust away but I'm impressed more than I am appalled :D

Do bear with me, though, for I have absolutely no knowledge of cars, vehicles or other stereotypical "manly" stuff like that. However, consider it from this angle, do they absolutely need what you say they need? Well, I'm not that much of a klutz; I do know they do need gas but do they need it as frequent as you ask for it? If I might make an analogy, I suppose, consider a computer geek who constantly upgraded his PC, overclocking it, making mods and what not, making it water-cooled, plugging in a lot of memory and stuff, adding the latest video cards and uses it to, well, play games. I mean, it's one thing to take good care of an object, then it's another thing to be too obsessed about it. I do suppose that's what your dad must be thinking when he's had a few. (A few what? I wondered at first)

Still I do believe that it is quite well that you have managed to salvage those two, otherwise rusty, vehicles. Only, just a word of advice, do not be too obsessed with driving. Personally, 14 is still too young for one to be driving out on the road. I know you might think yourself an exception but, unless you are willing to provide the cops with the same background you have given us here, I think it would be much better to err on the side of caution :)

Oh, and something I learned back when I was the most computer-literate person in the household, if you need something, ask nicely. A little humility goes a long way and, if possible, work on your timing. I don't think your vehicles would collapse of thirst or dehydration if you put off buying gas for another day or two. Try not asking your dad when he's had a few (I'm still debating with myself whether you mean he's intoxicated, stoned or high) Most of the time, though, when I do needed something minor, like an inkjet cartridge, I do buy it with my own money.

I mean, look at it from your parents' POV, they do have other priorities. Mouths to feed, heads to shelter, bodies to clothe, money to earn and houses to clean (and, in your case, ranches to maintain) Any normal person would think twice before shelling out some dough for something that brings no benefits to them in the short or long-term.

Anyway, don't let me dampen your spirits (but don't let it all get to your head either) I do feel a good deal of respect for a 14-year old who has learned all that on his own :)

Well as someone that grew up in the country if you are on your own property and off any public road. Go for it. That's how I learned how to drive. at age 13. The way I see it is that if you learn safe driving skills early, the better off you will be in life.

Try not asking your dad when he's had a few (I'm still debating with myself whether you mean he's intoxicated, stoned or high)

Thats when he's had a few beers.

I also only drive on our property, and the only time the trucks touch the road, is when when I have to cross the road twice (once on the way to feed, and once on the way back). I have been driving for almost a year now and have had no problems (accidents). But for me Its sort of an outlet, and I do talk about them a lot, but I have nothing else to talk about when baseball seasons over (that is unless St. Louis Cards win).

It helps me concentrate, and I like working with my hands, when I am sad, mad or happy, I like to build or fix stuff. Like when I had nothing to do on the cars, I built a new ramp for our shop. But most of the time, I see something wrong with the trucks, I fix it right away, if I can.

Hey i live on a ranch and I have 2 cars, no one in my school eyeballs me about it, but i feel kinda weird explaining it. Any way is 14 too young to have them?
But I don't think so, its taught me to slow down and think about things, I do drive them to feed. And one is a stick, and I got it to thirty on my second day driving it. I have been driving for a year now, just around the ranch and stuff. I know for a fact as long as I am on my own property, and no one gets hurt, its legal, as long as i don't go one the county road.

But is wrong for me to have them

If its legal i think its fine.. 14 iss no way too young for u... I first started drivin when i was 13 to be true...

Heres the deal. I have always loved cars. One was my brother old 75 IH Scout, and If you've had a Scout you know they can rust away real easy without tlc. And it wasn't runnin right, so he brought it down to the ranche and left it. My dad drove it for a while to shoot out of, but then it died, and it was forgotten, until christmas 04. My mom was talking to my brother about the future of the Scout, and he said give it to Scoutmann (hence my name). So from then on I got it running again, with some help from my dad and his friends (to drop the fuel tank). But I have done most of the work and most of the genral reapirs, like fixing the light, radio, antenna, doors, headliner, back door, sideboard, spark plugs, and fixing the manual window lever. Now its the picture of health(sorta).
My other Truck is a 1974 Chevy, the old ranch truck (the stick). We bought the ranch about, oh 10-11 years ago, and for the first few, we used the chevy to feed, then because it didn't have 4-wheel drive, he bought a kawaski Mule. The Chevy was downgraded to summer feeding truck, then to huning truck and then to the lowest postion, 2-ton yard art because my dad said "we didn't need it". Then, I couldn't stand it anymore, the grill was falling off, the doors would hardly open, it quit running, and it had grass literally growing IN the best, not from under neat, in the bed. That was the final straw, I went an begged an pleaded to mom, and finally after a month she said I could have, only if i cleaned it up an someday got it running. I was ecstatic. It no runs after a shorting out mishap, where I had to take the starter out, (my dad had showed me how to do it earlier this summer.) I took it with me and we went to town and it tested out. The next day i tole my dad that i was going to pt it back in. He said uh huh, and said go ahead and try. Well I am sure glad I had been workin out, beacuse that thing was a Batch to put in. But i did it, and when my dad came down he asked if I needed any help and watched in amazment when I said no and fired the truck on up. Over all on it i have Fixed the grill, replaced fuses, cleaned up the years of grease off the steering wheel (it was so bad it looked and felt like the steering wheel was meltin), fixed and greased the locks and doors, fasion new grill clips(my dad said It couldn't be done), Made a new pin for the spring on the wind sheild wipers( Again dad said it couldn't be done), fixed the tailgate, and am in the process of fixing the connector for the windsheil antenna. And I mastered driving that stick in less than a week.

Now do you think its right for me to get mad, when my dads had a few, gets mad at me when I talk about the few other things that they need like gas, and he threatens to haul them away?

I dont think its at all right for u to get mad... U need to be releaxed mate.. If ur dad gets mad at such stuff.. try to reduce the number of times u ask him for such stuff.. Or make a list or schedule of some sort so that u get a specified amount of this and that each month..

Hope i was of some help...

I don't believe that 14 is too young. In fact, in most states you can get a license...I forget what the exact name of it is, but hardship or something, that will allow you to drive to school or work at 15.I personally started driving at 12-13 with a stick shift(family said if I could drive that then an automatic would be no issue) but I live out in the middle of nowhere.Really I think age is irrelevant, it's your ability to comprehend what is going on around you that matters.

Honestly I can not believe 14 year olds are allowed to legally drive in some states. It is insane! Here we have to be 18 years old, and we can try to pass for the moped-license when we turn 16. We have to take lots of classes, test and so on. The age group where most accidents happen (here in Norway) is 18 - 25, and I doubt it is any different in the US. People always say that "the age does not matter", but that it is experience. Well at some point everyone who drives had no experience at all, so I doubt that is the main problem. I would rather say that it is the brain. At such a young age a persons brain is not complete "done", or what I should call it. So the brain is not fully developed! If I could decide I would say that you had to be at least 22 years old to drive, but I doubt that would be possible. If I went to the US I would be freaked out that some little kid would hit me with his/hers cars. I think it is really strange, but hey that is just me. I do not really know how I could help you, but the idea regarding a list or a spesific amount of petrol (or what it was) was good enough for me. That way your dad and you will be done with it, and as he only have to help you once he will probably turn less mad...

It's not easy to get the hardship license. You have to apply for it and show actual proof as to why you need it. The general causes are things like...Your parents work all day and you go to school where buses do not goYour parents are disabled and still need to do grocery shoppingYour parents are disabled and need someone who can take them to doctors and stuffOn the license it will have a notice as to where you are allowed to go. So if you're driving to...Let's say your friends house...And you get pulled over, they will know that you are not in your allowed route.As for motorcycles, anyone here can get licenses for those at 15. Drivers permits for cars are at 15, actual license is at 16.

I dont think 14 years old is way too early, as long as you can see the road, reach the pedals, and you can put your hands on the steering wheel. :)I bet if you're 14 years old and you're driving, you must be mature enough to handle it, so theres no problem since it's legal as well. Good for you :)

It's not easy to get the hardship license. You have to apply for it and show actual proof as to why you need it. The general causes are things like...
Your parents work all day and you go to school where buses do not go
Your parents are disabled and still need to do grocery shopping
Your parents are disabled and need someone who can take them to doctors and stuff

On the license it will have a notice as to where you are allowed to go. So if you're driving to...Let's say your friends house...And you get pulled over, they will know that you are not in your allowed route.
As for motorcycles, anyone here can get licenses for those at 15. Drivers permits for cars are at 15, actual license is at 16.

Again I think it is weird. If there are not any buses at all where a person lives, and that person has to go to school the government always makes sure that they can travel to school. Most often they hire a taxi or in some cases a bus if it lives many students there - but most often when it lives several students there the bus company already have a route there. But you know, a different country.

I think the age limit is 16 for light-motorcycles, but these are pretty expensive so not many have them. For the heavy-MC I think it is 21 years old.

When it is legal in a country it is legal, so if you (the topic starter) is driving legal then I do not really care. Even though I think it is too young to start driving that age, there is no harm of driving at your own property. :) As for the thing about your dad I believe I said my opinion in a previous post. Good luck with the whole thing, I am sure it will work out just fine.

Can not wait until I am old enough and the snow melts so I can take a trip too... maybe to very clever, but yes; legal!

14 years old is definitely too young to drive. In fact in almost all countries, it is illegal.The governments dont make it illegal just because they have nothing better to do, they do it for some good reasons especially to protect our lives.Please be responsible, drive after you have cross the age limit, do not risk your life and more importantly, do not endanger other road users' lives.

14 years old is definitely too young to drive. In fact in almost all countries, it is illegal.

The governments don't make it illegal just because they have nothing better to do, they do it for some good reasons especially to protect our lives.

Please be responsible, drive after you have cross the age limit, do not risk your life and more importantly, do not endanger other road users' lives.

I am no longer sure which is the issue here. Initially, I thought it was between the original poster and his parents. Now, we get responses from people who judgmentally wail the insanity of the notion. We have brief notes of approval and curt dismissals though very few really bothered explaining why.

Much as I hate to, I'd have to say that those who disapprove do have a point. Laws are generally universal, or at least, enforced uniformly. True, we could argue that a philosophical discourse on a case-to-case basis would yield results that will be sure to please everyone, we must note that the government as no time to debate whether any specific person is old enough to drive. I'd have to say, the government does not do it for "good" reasons, but it does enforce driving limits not because it is all for the best but because it is the best compromise between safety and convenience.

I would have loved to stand in defense of the original poster in that he rarely drives on public property but laws generally do not tolerate splitting hairs. I must regretfully point out that yes, when the law says you cannot drive on public property at the age of 14, then it does mean that you cannot do so at all, meaning, even crossing a public road is illegal. Further more, some laws extend beyond public property. There are those that prohibit minors driving anywhere accessible to the public. If your ranch is not fenced or has no proper gate, it is, by definition, accessible to the public as any idiot with a mind to it can just wander aimlessly all about it.

I also only drive on our property, and the only time the trucks touch the road, is when when I have to cross the road twice (once on the way to feed, and once on the way back).

I would certainly like to argue that we are missing the spirit of the law when we nitpick but that would make me a terrible lawyer (is there any other kind, you ask? :)) In any case, I am no lawyer so if your question is, "Should I be driving at the age of 14?" the answer is, "Most certainly not on public roads. For the rest, it depends. Look up the laws in your area and see the restrictions."

On the other hand, if your issue is, "My dad thinks poorly 14 year old sons who drive," then it would be the same, I suppose. Look up the laws and once you're sure it is perfectly alright, you can then argue with him (I meant argue in the debating sense, not a verbal quarrel) that it is perfectly fine for you to drive. Only, again, watch the gas consumption. If you don't have to drive so often, don't. Times are most certainly getting harder.

As for the point that driving keeps you calm, I'm assuming that you mean tinkering around with stuff, in your case, fixing and upgrading vehicles. I do think that you might have potential for other... stuff. I mean, don't just limit yourself to vehicles. You sound like you have rather free access to metal parts, you might wanna check out if you might not make some other cool contraptions :)

(When I was young, I have always dreamed of converting our broken electric fans into a solar-powered hovercraft... well, I was young then. And stupid, which I think you're not, so you might go further :D)

Nearly all farm kids start driving young. Usually as soon as they can reach the clutch and see over the dash at the same time. It's all on farm driving, out in the pastures where there's nothing to run over, or at least nothing that is going to run over you, like another car. It's actually a good way to get behind the wheel experience, and the more you drive the better your skills become, so consider yourself lucky to have the extra experience that your friends may not get until they get to drivers ed classes. By then you'll be a old pro. lol. And it's also great that you enjoy working on cars. That is always a skill in demand and can be helpfull through out your entire life. Even if you don't become a full time mechanic, it's always great to be able to work on your own cars and trucks, it will save you a ton of money over the years, and even if you have major work that needs done on a car that you don't want to do, you'll at least have the knowledge of what needs to be done so some mechanic can't rip you off so easliy.

Yeah its too young and its illegal across most of the countries in the world. Its been put in place for safety.Also to be honest they should increase the age limit to drive a car because most of the deaths in car accidents come from young people drink-driving its a major concern and i hope none of you lot will drink-and drive lol.