xisto Community
galexcd

Fires...

Please excuse if the spelling and grammar in this post are not up to par, but I am exhausted... Last night I went to sleep watching the news. There was coverage on the fires in Sylmar. Sylmar isn't too near to me but it isn't that far either, however it was no where near as close to me as the Sesson fire was a few weeks back, in which I was able to see flames raging down the hill toward my house. About two hours after I fell asleep I was rudely awoken by the sounds of sirens and a police loudspeaker informing my neighborhood that this area is under mandatory evacuation... Great. I grabbed everything that was valuable/meaningful to me, put it in my car, and I left. I had nothing really to do, but I did have to be at work at 9am which was in 6 hours so I just waited and listened to the radio for status updates. I showed up at work, hungry and tired as ever and worried about what might be happening to my house. After 9 hours of that I finally get to drive home to find that police have blocked the roads going into my neighborhood and that I would have to wait in my car for them to open the roads. After a few hours they finally had something better to do than babysit the street so I went home. So now I am here, the smell of smoke is so strong that there is no way I'm going to be able to go to sleep. Thankfully it looks like the firefighters don't think that this area is such a big threat anymore but we shall see in the morning I suppose....

So apparently the fire was started at night at a park in an area without any power lines or anything to suggest natural causes. Everyone is pretty sure it's arson. I'm sick and tired of these crazy people coming out during this time of the year when we have high winds and starting fires. What kind of joy could they possibly have watching others lose their houses? 8,100 acres have burned, and who knows how many thousands of houses. Here is a map. The red area has burned, and the blue area is under mandatory evacuation. I won't tell you exactly where I live but I will tell you that I live in the blue area between Reseda Blvd and Balboa Blvd north of the 118 freeway. With wind speeds about 80 mph, embers are flying everywhere igniting hot spots...

I can't believe someone would actually do this. I am just sick of the humans that inhabit this world.

Edit: so apparently since the area isn't under mandatory evacuation anymore they took out the blue area.

Edited by galexcd (see edit history)

You must be exhausted after that ordeal."The more people I meet, the more I like my Dog...""Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. "

that seems such a rather large area that got evacuated. just glad to know you're at least safe though.

Those stupid humans!!!!! When will we see the last of them?!Yeah, this reminds me of that time... times... every week when some idiot pulls a fire alarm or puts metal in a microwave here in my dorm. What is it with people wanting to wreak havoc with others?!

Incase anyone cares, here are some pictures I took from my front yard of the session fire from a few weeks ago:

Posted ImagePosted Image

And here are some pictures, again taken from my front yard of the Sylmar fires.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

And no that isn't the sun shining between the trees...

i heard about that on the news the other day. but australia is very hot and there are bushfires all the time in australia. in sydney the other day as i was coming home from school i could smell heaps of smoke and everything had smoke everywhere - that was because there was a bushfire somewhere in sydney. quite often the fire department does backburning. backburning is where you light the bush on fire before the fire season (in a controlled fire) so that during the fire season there can't be another bushfire. once its already burnt it can't catch fire again. but this fire was not backburning as there was a huge area smoke filled. but this fire wasn't on the scale of the fire in california though.