xisto Community
Ruben

Saving A Screenshot In Mac Osx

I am using mac osx 10.5.5 . When I take a screenshot (shift+4), how do I make it save as png?

Notice from rvalkass:
Topic titles are important - please be more precise than just "Question". Also, please don't sign off your posts - use your signature for things like that.

I do not use Mac OSX, but a friend does.
She recommends using the software and service provided at Jing Project. It saves as a loseless png and does not resize the Images. Video is also available, similar to Camtasiastudio, a well known Windows Software.
Jing is available for Mac OSX or Windows.
Details and Frequently Asked Questions are listed on the site linked above.

I do not use Mac OSX, but a friend does.

She recommends using the software and service provided at Jing Project. It saves as a loseless png and does not resize the Images. Video is also available, similar to Camtasiastudio, a well known Windows Software.

Jing is available for Mac OSX or Windows.

Details and Frequently Asked Questions are listed on the site linked above.

Thank you very much! Do you know one thing? How do you change the file type it is saved as. I looked at faq's etc, but no luck. :lol:

In all versions of mac os X if you take a screenshot (Either Command+Shift+3 for entire screen or Command+Shift+4 for only a portion) it saves your image as a png on the desktop by default. No need to install any additional software.

In all versions of mac os X if you take a screenshot (Either Command+Shift+3 for entire screen or Command+Shift+4 for only a portion) it saves your image as a png on the desktop by default. No need to install any additional software.

Not ture. For me it saves it as pdf.

Well, I've had the same experience. I use the Mac screenshot utility all the time, and I've never had it save to anything but PNG. However:

Different versions of Mac OS X have different formats for screenshots.
* Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar): jpg
* Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther): pdf
* Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) and later: png

In Mac OS X 10.4 and later, the default screenshot format can be changed, by opening Terminal (located at /Applications/Utilities/Terminal) and typing in:

defaults write com.apple.screencapture type image_format
killall SystemUIServer

Where image_format is one of jpg, tiff, pdf, png, bmp or pict (among others). If you omit the second line, you will need to log out and in again for the change to take effect.

I found this at macrumors. If you follow the link you can find more helpful information on the subject.

It seems to me that you probably have 10.3 if you have been the only user of your computer, and you'll need to use one of the utilities mentioned.

Hmm thats interesting, I remembered all versions of os x doing png. I know in Tiger the default screenshot type was stored in a plist in your preferences folder, but I can't seem to find it, I assume Apple got rid of it. I'll look around some more and see if I can't find a solution to this.

Well, I've had the same experience. I use the Mac screenshot utility all the time, and I've never had it save to anything but PNG. However:I found this at macrumors. If you follow the link you can find more helpful information on the subject.

It seems to me that you probably have 10.3 if you have been the only user of your computer, and you'll need to use one of the utilities mentioned.

Thank you very much! That's great. I very much appreciate your effort for this. :)