xisto Community
HyBriD54

Did You Know: Iran Was Persia Until 1935

I find it rather interesting that I never knew about this; then again, it could just be my substandard knowledge of world geography. Until 1935, Iran was known as Persia. I'd heard about both Iran and Persia but never made the connection.

Apparently, Persia was named by the Ancient Greeks but the actual Persians called their homeland Iran - "the land of Aryans".
As for how the name change happened, well, I found out through every lazy person's favourite reference (which, by the way, has some pretty interesting stuff on this topic if you're interested):

On 21 March 1935, the ruler of the country, Reza Shah Pahlavi, issued a decree asking foreign delegates to use the term Iran in formal correspondence. Some believe he made this decision in order to be closer to Germany, by trying to emphasize the Aryan connection between Hitler's idealistic German Aryan race and the Persian Aryan race, given that "Iran" means "land of Aryans", at a time where the German empire was slowly becoming an unstoppable superpower. Some others believed he changed "Persia" to "Iran" to present a new and modern face of the country in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_naming_dispute

I think it's a nice thing that the rest of the world calls the nation - Iran - the same thing as the people of the nation identify their nation as. Could we soon be referring to Germany as Deutschland, China as Zhongguo, Japan as Nihon... etc?

Yes, i knew that quite well, and i did not need to view the 300 movie to learn about that in some way, and by the way, the persia had an empire, the persian empire, which it was the biggest and most powerful empire of the world for many and many decades.The persian empire, as you might know, had the well know emperors personal guard, called "the immortals", which were in fact the most dangerous and fearest army of the asia, in that the 300 movie was right.I like to study our history, and the persian empire, the roman empire and the ancient greece were the most motivating histories for me to study because, they were all very exciting, and they are in fact, for anyone that likes history.

Yes knew that by learning History, but I didn't knew that Iran, this word meant the land of Aryans, even though I think that it was a wise move in the 1935, due to Hitler and do to Persia sounds really ancient. Also, I know that not everyone there call them selfs Persians or speak the real Persian language, there are a bit different cultures too, even though as I know Iran is really a reserved country :lol:

Good change from Persia to Iran.....Iran is more modern. And Persia.....Well, it reminds me more of Pokemon than anything else so excuse my childishness...Germany as Deutschland, and China as Zhongguo?Where did those come from?I knew japan was nihon but China as Zhongguo? how do you even pronounce that word?

Well, concerning the change of the name Persia to Iran, i do not like it nor i agree with the change itself, for many reasons, but i just need one, and it is the most important reason.The reason is that Persia relates to a vast empire, and to many kings/emperors/conquerors, which with their armies, made history, and made glory and fame for their country, Persia that is.Now, nowadays i mean, nobody remembers or even know that Iran is the old Persia, well, most of the persons do not even know where Iran is located geographicaly, even if you tell them the world region, middle-east that is.Only Europeans, and not all of course, know where is the location of Iran, we love all the old Persia empire history.Iran is a word, it does not have a history, but the word Persia has, one of the most exciting histories to study, to learn, to remember and to teach our suns.

Edited by Lyon2 (see edit history)