xisto Community
Echo_of_thunder

Disabled Rights Rights for the diabled

Okay here is something for all of us to thnk of and remember.Your in a parking lot and you see a car pulling into a disabled parking space. Out steps the driver yet he or she is not in a wheelchair have a walker or a cane. is that person disabled?With how badly written the ADA American Disabled Act is written they can be. Myself being a disabled person I find this very sad even though I rarely do use a handicapped parking space. I see almost ever day someone that is using a spot that "looks" as they are fine.what do you all think of this? and how would you handle it. Would you just ignore the person in the parking space? or say something and take the chance of he or she really being disabled.Food for thought,

I used to work with a guy that actually bragged that he had a friend who would issue him a "Disabled" car pass, (the one you place in your Visor), so he could get a better parking spot when he went to hockey games, football games, shopping, etc. A very 'able-bodied' person who played 3 rounds of Golf a week. Disgusting. I lost a lot of respect for him over this. We discussed it on several occasions. He said I was jealous. If he ever needed a 'real' pass, then he might have a different perspective on the issue.

In the UK you have to get a badge to put on your dashboard to show that you are disabled and have the right to free parking and to use certain spaces etc. The problem is that they get issued to people who don't really need them, or get sold on eBay to people who are just too cheap, ignorant and uncaring to pay to park and leave disabled spaces for those who need them.It really stuns me when I see people park in a disabled space without a badge in their car, but there is not a lot you can do. I did once see a disabled driver block someone in who had taken the last disabled space without a badge, so they couldn't get their car out. Argument ensued, until the disabled guy called the council and a traffic warden gave the guy a parking ticket.

i'm not sure where some of you guys live but i can tell you that parking in the city center of sydney is probably the most anyoying things you could ever hope of doing. literally every single parking space is taken and the only ones left are the few disabled parking spots. a lot of streets in the city are one way and very narrow and the layout of the city is very hard to move around. to get a parking spot is like winning the lotto. or you could spend a lot of money is some paid parking. the only way is to park in disabled spots (even those are usually taken by disabled/non disabled people). i'm not saying it is the right thing to do but sometimes it is really the only thing to do especially if your someone who donates to charities for disabled people. also in tax we pay for care for disabled people and stuff so with all the help we give them if we are really in desperate need of a parking spot then maybe they can do us a favor back and let us use it.

thats just my opinion and probably the opinion of many people who have to travel to the city.