xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
EinReaper

Using Utp Cable To Connect A Telephone

I'm facing some sort of a challenge (by my standards) and I was hoping someone could help.I need to connect a telephone to a wall socket, but all I have is cat 5e UTP cable.At one end (the one that's going in the phone) I want to add a RJ11 connector and at the other (the one that's going in the wall socket) I want to add a RJ45 connector.Can anyone tell me in which order do I need to insert the wires into the connectors and which wires do I need to insert into the RJ11 connector?

Edited by EinReaper (see edit history)

If you are planning on connecting the RJ45 connector to your computer, it will NOT work at all. In fact, you may cause more problems because of the voltage spike that occurs when the ring signal goes through the line. The two technologies are totally different. If you have a phone that has an RJ45 connector on it, it is most likely made for VoIP and a telephone line voltage will damage the phone.

Well ... I have a wall socket with 2 slots, one is for a network cable and the other is for a telephone.
It looks something like this: http://itsc.ust.hk/services/academic-teaching-support/teaching-venues-support/ (except that the right slot is used to connect a phone).
They are both connected to a rack (near the server) via UTP Cable. The only difference is that inside the rack the cable for the LAN goes into a switch and the cable for the phone goes into ... I would call that a phone switch (I'm quite fluent in English but I don't know all the technological terms); anyway ... it looks like a switch, but it's for phone lines.
The thing is that someone wants to move their PC further away from the wall socket, but the phone cable doesn't reach. Because I don't have a longer phone cable (that thin one with only 6 wires) I'm trying to use UTP cable instead. Is that possible? And if it is ... in which order do I need to insert the wires in the connectors?

Edited by EinReaper (see edit history)

The standard in phone wiring color codes are:

Line 1 Tip = Green

Line 1 Ring = Red

Line 2 Tip = Black

Line 2 Ring = Yellow

(Ah, this brings back the good old memories when I was slaving over as a telephony technician ^_^)

With the popularity of twisted pair cabling, the current industry standards are in 568B punch down style. And to terminate Cat 3/5/5E with POTS (Plain Old Telephone System) use the sequence as follows:

Line 1 Tip = Green = White/Blue 568B

Line 1 Ring = Red = Blue 568B

Line 2 Tip = Black = White/Orange 568B

Line 2 Ring = Yellow = Orange 568B

You can use any color pattern as you would like, but the above is the widely accepted sequence for general telephone techs. The recent surge in VoIP is still your basic 568A or 568B wiring so no big surprises there. By sticking to the standard the next person who has to work on your wiring would not curse you to death :lol:

Network, Phone, FaxUsing Utp Cable To Connect A Telephone

CAT 5e network cable got 4 pairs of wires. However, 2 pair are used which green, white green, orange and white orange (pin no. 1,2,3,6). Pin 4,5,7,8 are not used. Perhaps you can pick out this wires for your analog phone. Normally, standard network cable can go up to 100 metres far. However, for this case, not sure the limit as there is mix signals type running together. You may give a try. MAKE SURE ALL WIRES TWISTED.1,2,3,6 --> PC network4,5 --> Analog phone line7,8 --> Analogue fax line-reply by Gamma23

How do I connect 2 remote analog phones using LAN?Using Utp Cable To Connect A Telephone

I have to companies that are a kilometre apart but have a linking computer network.I am thinking of using this network to connect 2 analog phones (POTS) sort of VoIP style.Now , what device would I need to interface the phones & the computer network ?

The device should be able to  act as aa exchange/ switch for the 2 phones.Any ideas welcome. 

-question by Brian Murindagomo

I have to sets of telephone cables. the wall socket cables colour are black, red, yellow and green. The telephone line cable colours are blue, orange and two white. how do I connect between those of them? Need your help please!

Spare Cat-5/5e/6? Sure. If you need RJ11 instead of RJ45, you'd need to snip off any existing RJ45 connection and replace it with an RJ11. For a single phone line, you only need 1 pair (2 wires) out of the existing 4 (but use a matched pair). For a 4-conductor/2-line RJ11, use 2 pair. For a full 6-conductor/3-line RJ11, use 3 pair