xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
EinReaper

Change 'open With' In Regedit for Windows XP

Hi there.I have a problem with File Types on my PC: xls files are opened by default with Open Office, but I want to open them with Excel.I right click the file and I choose Open With, but Excel is not in those programs; so I select Choose Program; again Excel is not in the Recommended Programs nor in the Other Programs. I click Browse and I go to where Excel is installed and I select the exe, but after I click Ok nothing happens, I mean Excel doesn't appear in Recommended Programs like it should.So my question is this: is there any way to force xls files to open with Excel in regedit?

I don't think the problem is with your registry. Is your Excel program working normally? Please check it first. Or reinstall MS Office. If the program is working normally but the problem is only with the openwith option then tell me and I will tell you how to add new entries and deleting unwanted entries from the openwith list by editing registry.

@xpressExcel is working normally. If I open Excel.exe and then click File -> Open and search for the xls I need it opens it just fine, but if I right click the file there is no entry for Excel in the 'Open With' menu. Needless to say that if I double click the file it is opened with Open Office.calc@NabbI've checked the "always use[...]", but it doesn't do me any good since I'm not able to select Excel; it just doesn't appear in the programs' list. And even if I click browse, search for Excel.exe and click Ok it is still not added to the programs' list.I know there was a folder in regedit where I could see all file extensions that Windows knows and where I could edit the 'Open With' menu for each extension. I don't care if Excel is not the default program for xls files, I just want it to appear in the 'Open With' menu.

Here is the pathfor your xls extension. you'll find OpenOfffice.exe there. Remove it and try. But becareful when editing registry. Backup your registry first. If you need any further help ask me.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ FileExts \ .xls \ OpenWithList

Thank you for your prompt answer.I knew there was supposed to be a folder with all the file extensions somewhere in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion (because that's where all the good stuff is :lol: ) , but I had forgotten it was in \Explorer .And don't worry; I always backup my registry before editing something.

Well first you need to know which files Adobe InDesign should open (file-extensions.org says it's .ind : https://www.file-extensions.org/search/?searchstring=ind-file-ex-document-file&searchtype=2).
Next you go to Start -> Run and type regedit and click Ok. If you're not familiar with regedit perhaps you should not attempt this or, if you do, it's your responsability.
In regedit look for the path that xpress wrote above. When you find the file type you are looking for select the OpenWithList folder and on the right side there should be a REG_SZ entry called MRUList. Make sure that the letter pointing to the Adobe InDesign executable is the first letter in the MRUList.

Here is the pathfor your xls extension. you'll find OpenOfffice.exe there. Remove it and try. But becareful when editing registry. Backup your registry first. If you need any further help ask me.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ FileExts \ .xls \ OpenWithList

This is actually some pretty cool information. I didn't know you could manually change the settings for "Open With". Always just used the right click > open with > "Always use this program" settings.

Either way, I do like knowing more about the registry because there are many times that it is more beneficial to edit things directly.

You can always change the default program used to open certain types of files by right clicking any file with the extension you're trying to change (for example, .doc files). Right click, Open With, and finally Choose Program. Select your program from the list, tick the 'Always use this program to open...' box and click ok.That should get you on the right track.On the other hand, I didn't know myself that you could change the default open program settings from the registry. :)

Edited by maylx (see edit history)

regsrv.exe & New folder.exe --------- problemChange 'open With' In Regedit

Hi Friends,

I having problem with regsrv.Exe & new folder.Exe. When I start my system it work very poor. To remove regsrv.Exe & new folder.Exe, I try symantec antivirus. But it fail to remove. I tried all tools like PC tool, new folder.Exe remover also. But still same problem.

I really appreciate for answer... Pls help me to resolve the problem.

Rgds,

Ashok

-question by Ashok