xisto Community
HDuffRules

Running

Recently I've been motivating myself by switching from afternoons to mornings. I'm not sure why this works, one would think it'd make me less motivated... meh

Switching anything makes it feel new and different. If you do the same thing every day it gets boring and you lose motivation fast. So mix it up a bit. Reward long days with short days, go different routes, or like you did different times. Anything to lose the repetition.

Are you running with a partner or group of people? I used to gather once a week with a small collection of people for a "social" run.
Really worked to motivate each other.

Not a fast or competitive run, but slow enough to be able to chat a little while moving forward. If anyone had trouble talking, the group slowed down. Conversely, the pace picked up when on several occasions as a good flat stretch approached with a series of curves, etc. It was fun...

I love easy group runs as long as the people are around my speed. When you talk while you run you forget about the pain and end up running faster than you think. Running is mind over matter and if you distract your mind while pacing off of others you'll run there pace without a problem.

I could try that... I'm on a listserv where people post to the list whenever they're going on a run and invite people to go with them, but I dunno if I'd like that... Running is usually just my quiet time when I think about random stuff. I might try it next week though.. if it's not too cold outside by then.

Give it a shot. Like I said before anything to mix it up. If you find out you like running with a group only do it once a week as a reward for running that week. If you do it to much even that can get boring.

Any experienced runners among you who could give me some advice?
At the gym, I have got a bet on with one of the gym assistants that I have to be able to run 1 mile (on the treadmil) in under seven minutes.

That is expected of me in two months time (February 2nd, 2009).
For five days now, i have been bullying myself,just doing my weight training faster than usual and then get on the treadmill.
I must say i am nowhere near winning the bet yet, as it still takes me over thirteen minutes to do a mile.
At the moment I do interval training, ie. I start off with 2 minutes walking at 4 mph, I then run for 2 minutes at 5 mph, etc.

I have only switched to 5 mph two days ago, but i must say i feel like I am going to drop at times.

I have calculated that, when you run constantly at 10 mph, then you would do the mile in 6 minutes.
I am obviously far from that at the moment.

I have tried to run for 3 minutes at 5 mph, but I can only do that once in a session so far.

Is there anyone who has some advice on how to build up my stamina, and how to tackle this problem?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Try running for 30 mintues but go as slow as you want one day and then the next day do the interval things you were talking about. Also if your goal is to run the mile in under 7 minutes running should be more important then lifting weights.

So your week could look like this:
Monday: Run for 30 minutes but go as slow as you want.
Tuesday: Run fast for 5 minutes, Walk for 2-3, Run fast for 5, and do that as long as you want.
Wednesday: Weights, and a easy jog.
Thursday: Run a 7 minute mile pace for as long as you can to get a feel for that pace. You might not be able to keep the pace for long but thats ok. Week by week you should be able to keep this pace longer and sooner or later hopefully a entire mile.
Friday: Weights, easy jog
Saturday: Do some cross training like swimming or biking.
Sunday: Rest you earned it.

I hope this is what you were looking for. If you have any other questions just ask.

Great,Thank you for the advice.It might be a good idea to do the 7min/mile pace for a while.I would probably not keep it going for long, but it is worth trying.As for the 30 mins running: I do not think that is really possible for me at this time, even the 5 minute suggestion.So far, I have achieved doing 3 times 5 minutes at 5 mph, with 2 mins walking at 4 mph in between, but after the 2nd or 3rd run, I really got so much out of breath that I thought I was going to drop.I had intende to pull it up to 4 minutes as soon as possible, but that depends on wht my body tells me.However, I will keep trying.Thanks again for all the advice, and any further tips are more than welcome.

I see a lot of experienced runners in here :)

Anyway, I want to learn the same thing as Unknown_99 because I ran only for fun sometimes in the past and these last months (~10) I ran only for when I needed to, and didn't run because I wanted to have fun or recreation or fresh air or w/e. This computer caught me with it's claws and it's hard for him to let me go :D

Advices? When should I run, how and how long? I know where to, though, there is a lot of nature where I live, in a small town :)

Any distance runners here? I looked through a few pages of topics, didn't find any on running. Just wondering if I was the only one...

Dear friend I was a runner before some time. But now I prefer dancing and love it and am passionate about it. But still goes for jogging but not used to run for long. And am devoting time on dancing instead.?

Great,

Thank you for the advice.

It might be a good idea to do the 7min/mile pace for a while.

I would probably not keep it going for long, but it is worth trying.

As for the 30 mins running: I do not think that is really possible for me at this time, even the 5 minute suggestion.

So far, I have achieved doing 3 times 5 minutes at 5 mph, with 2 mins walking at 4 mph in between, but after the 2nd or 3rd run, I really got so much out of breath that I thought I was going to drop.

I had intende to pull it up to 4 minutes as soon as possible, but that depends on wht my body tells me.

However, I will keep trying.

Thanks again for all the advice, and any further tips are more than welcome.

What I said was a rough outline of what you could do you can change it to make it fit you. If you can't run for 30 minutes thats fine but keep working at it and work your way up. I could take a while but it is worth the wait.

how about for beginners like me who don't have a lot of "runnable" space around me? Any tips for getting me in shape without violating other's space?

Yeah, all tips are appreciated....

What do you mean by that? Do you mean you don't have time to run or that you don't have a place to run maybe because you live in a city or something?

I see a lot of experienced runners in here :)

Anyway, I want to learn the same thing as Unknown_99 because I ran only for fun sometimes in the past and these last months (~10) I ran only for when I needed to, and didn't run because I wanted to have fun or recreation or fresh air or w/e. This computer caught me with it's claws and it's hard for him to let me go :D

Advices? When should I run, how and how long? I know where to, though, there is a lot of nature where I live, in a small town :)

If your new to the sport start off slow and easy and just work your way up. If you want me to tell you what you could do I need to know more about you. Like how old are you? Are you in good shape? Did you run in highschool? What can you run the mile in? How far do you think you could run before you get so tired you can't run any farther?

Once I know the answers to these I can put together a example of a a typical week of workouts that you could do.

Dear friend I was a runner before some time. But now I prefer dancing and love it and am passionate about it. But still goes for jogging but not used to run for long. And am devoting time on dancing instead.

On of my xc team mates does dance and he thinks it helps his running by working things that aren't normally worked while running. This works the other way around too.

Running programs are varied, of course, but the one I ended up working with, and was quite pleased with was a program written about by a fellow named Jeff Galloway. There were three elements involved, Base, Strength and Speed.
The concept is simple and as discussed in the preceding post, start slow and easy, run a couple of times a week at a slow pace, on a flat course, not worrying about the time or speed. After a couple of weeks, force yourself into longer distances. Galloway had a formula, but I forget what it was exactly. Roughly speaking, add one mile every second week. This constitutes the Base period.
After several months of base Training, the Strength component hits it s stride, if you will pardon the pun. :)
And at the end of the training period, the Speed training starts.

Work on the Base compnent as you begin. Run for the pleasure, not the pain at first. You should be able to resume normal activities following you initial runs and not have a great deal of pain while running or the next day. Train your body to accept the fact that it needs to do this thing.But most of all, enjoy yourself.

Good advise about "team running" up there as well. You should be able to chat with your fellow runners while running. you should not be running so hard that you can not talk. Otherwise, find a less competitive group to train with. It needs to be social, unless it is a serious Team Training trial.

*edit*

Found this on the web: http://www.jeffgalloway.com/

which led me to find this page with an excellent 5Km Training Schedule : http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I'm not much of a runner. Back in high school I used to do the cross country races (4k, 5k runs) for a bit of exercise. I run on the treadmill in the gym but that's very different from running outdoors.I'm more of a swimmer, I'd much prefer to swim 5k than run 5km, I find swimming more relaxing. I love the feel of the water.When you run you feel exhausted and sweaty and generally uncomfortable (especially on hot days)

At jlhaslip: I looked at that but it seems way to basic and easy. It would be good for a new runner or a old runner getting back into it but its not the best way to get you in shape and run to the best of your ability.At y4nzi: How can you swim a 5k for fun! We do 1650's during swim practice some times and they are soooo boring.

Just starting with long distance running, ran 12 km with ease. Only problem is that my legs hurt after that -.- The guy in the shoe store said it'd take 4-5 months for my legs to get used to the running. Pretty lame :P I want to know how far I can run :PI only run once a week for now, because I also do other sports A LOT. And I don't want running to be in my way while doing those.

Just starting with long distance running, ran 12 km with ease. Only problem is that my legs hurt after that -.- The guy in the shoe store said it'd take 4-5 months for my legs to get used to the running. Pretty lame :P I want to know how far I can run :P
I only run once a week for now, because I also do other sports A LOT. And I don't want running to be in my way while doing those.

4-5 months! Yeah right. You just need to slowly work your way up and you may be sore for a few weeks tops. Don't just one day deside to run a 12 km run. Run short stuff first and after your not sore from that go farther and when your not sore after doing those go farther and keep working your way up. Running to much to soon is a great way to get hurt which if you do other sports is definatly not a good thing.