xisto Community
rpgsearcherz

Best Way To Backup A Website?

Backing up a website is simple.First you need a good FTP client because sometimes servers are disconnecting you from ftp when you are downloading much and you are destroying server.Install Filezilla and download your public_html folder.After 10-20 minutes your client will get all the files.Now only thing is to backup database.There is something wich can stop from working your website if you are using CMS (Content Menagment System).If you have the same hosting,and you aren't changing it you only should backup your database and import it on your new site.Then using ftp client again,upload all the files.But if you change your host (example from 110mb to Xisto) you need to edit your configuration file and change mysql server,username and password.This will backup your website and all the blog articles,polls,links will be here.This is not some simple name but if you know what is phpmyadmin,where can you export and import database,and you know how to connect using ftp client you can do it.This procedure works for Joomla,Drupal,Calendar,Wordpress,HTML pages...If your website doesn't need database you can jump the part with backup and importing.

i prefer backing up my files directly through my ftp program. i just drag and drop the folder i want to backup. it's easier and quicker than cpanel. cpanel packs the files which you would have to unpack after download.this is for files only. if backing up your databases, then i suggest going through the suggestions through cpanel.if want to backup both at the same time, do it through cpanel. it will be quicker....but for html,php,etc... files only, any ftp program is quicker and easier for backing up your files.

Well the best way without doubts is the paid option that is available in the best web hostings. But if you can?t pay this option the best way is to backup your files manually. For this you have to use a FTP software and access to your web hosting account and download your files to your hard disk in a folder. This is the only way to backup your files that i know and I dont know is there is a way to backup your files with a software or something for the style. But you can pay like i said and maybe this is the ideal way to secure your files. If you have a account in the Xisto hosting servers dont worry you dont need to backup anything, if your account is suspended your files are protected and you don?t have to re-upload your files because in Xisto never will delete your files.I hope I can help you.Regards.

Well the best way without doubts is the paid option that is available in the best web hostings. But if you can´t pay this option the best way is to backup your files manually. For this you have to use a FTP software and access to your web hosting account and download your files to your hard disk in a folder. This is the only way to backup your files that i know and I dont know is there is a way to backup your files with a software or something for the style. But you can pay like i said and maybe this is the ideal way to secure your files. If you have a account in the Xisto hosting servers dont worry you dont need to backup anything, if your account is suspended your files are protected and you don´t have to re-upload your files because in Xisto never will delete your files.
I hope I can help you.

Regards.

and also back up your mysql database aswell.

Hey all, was told in another thread that it is a good idea to back up a website every day/week.
I'm wondering what the best way to do this is.

At the moment my site is using SQL and html files(The database is just for forums.)

So would I just need to ensure I have a current copy of my .html files on my pc, and go into my database through trap's control panel and export, or is there a better way?

I remember having a lot of issues in the past when it came to transferring forum databases from one host to another.

Also, let's say I take phpbb's database from username (rpgsearcherz_rpgsearcherz) and database name (rpgsearcherz_rpgsearcherz) and transferred over to...(trap_trap) and (trap_trap) would I need to change anything in the databases themselves, or would I just need to change phpbb's directory information to point to the new server/username/database instead of the old one?

Thanks in advance!

I see your problem I had the same when i owned a habbo retro but for you to back up a website I think you should open up all of your web pages and notepad and go to the first page press ctrl + u and that shows the source (html) of website paste it into notepad and save as my website page one or something and go through all of the pages doing that I think that is the easiest way because if you loose your site you can copy the code over to another webserver and redo the database part which wont take long

It is always amazing to see a 1 year old thread brought up a year later, then brought up again a year after that (this thread started in 2008, was brought back in '09, and again in '10).I already fixed my issue and for those who want to know how I did it, I followed these steps:1) Logged into CPanel2) Went to Backup (I can't think of the exact name but it's the second link, not the normal backup)3) Choose full backup4) Choose to save to root directory and email you when it is doneAnd then when it is done I just log back into cpanel and download the backup. It contains every file on the host, as well as every SQL database. Based on the backup utility it will not allow you to import everything automatically back into cpanel but you can copy all the files back and re-import the SQL pretty easily.

Why don't you try SnatchCode ? It works for me great.

It is always amazing to see a 1 year old thread brought up a year later, then brought up again a year after that (this thread started in 2008, was brought back in '09, and again in '10).

I already fixed my issue and for those who want to know how I did it, I followed these steps:

1) Logged into CPanel
2) Went to Backup (I can't think of the exact name but it's the second link, not the normal backup)
3) Choose full backup
4) Choose to save to root directory and email you when it is done

And then when it is done I just log back into cpanel and download the backup. It contains every file on the host, as well as every SQL database. Based on the backup utility it will not allow you to import everything automatically back into cpanel but you can copy all the files back and re-import the SQL pretty easily.