xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
technohive

Best Diet For Diarrhea

Diarrhea is one of the most common problems in any country and it affects different classes of people and different gender and ages as well. The best way to combat is it to have proper hygiene and also right diet like BRAT diet. BRAT stands for Banana , Rice, Apple juice and Toasted Bread since they are rich is potassium to prevent dehydration. Give ORS as well and don't eat foods that are rich in fiber like oatmeal.

I'm confused about a part of this...You put that the BRAT diet is good because it prevents dehydration, but isn't it the water that causes diahhrea?Honestly I don't know much about it or anything but it just seems that if it's liquidy, it's due to water. I could always be wrong though, :)Also, I guess this is the right place to ask, since it's on the same subject...But would bananas and stuff help with what I would call "messy" excretions? Like would it make it more solid?Thanks in advance!

Diarrhea is one of the most common problems in any country and it affects different classes of people and different gender and ages as well. The best way to combat is it to have proper hygiene and also right diet like BRAT diet. BRAT stands for Banana , Rice, Apple juice and Toasted Bread since they are rich is potassium to prevent dehydration. Give ORS as well and don't eat foods that are rich in fiber like oatmeal.

I heard about BRAT from a friend of mine from a nurse. This is a good diet for people who are experiencing diarrhea.

It is very important to rehydrate during diarrhea, and to get enough mineral salts (which is why foods high in potassium are good).

Honestly I don't know much about it or anything but it just seems that if it's liquidy, it's due to water. I could always be wrong though, :)

Actually, water is extremely important when you have diarrhea. Diarrhea is cause from a bacteria/virus that has invaded your digestive system. Your system is trying to flush it out, and if you don't drink liquid, your body will rob water from your cells to flush the system. You can get severely dehydrated from diarrhea. I know a week or so ago I had a bad round of it, and it left me really weak and unable to do much of anything.

Give ORS as well

What is ORS?

I've often thought the best way of avoiding diarrheais just using common sense so to speak.Don't eatcertain kinds of foods.Try to stick with solid foods.Don't eat say cottage cheese.That will most definitly give you diarrhea. It seems that if you eat a lot of steak,or pork chops,vrgetables etc that the chances of getting it are slim. If you were only to eat a lot of cheese,ice cream.apple sauceone would get diarrhea.

Suprised nobody else brought this up, but aren't peanut butter and cheese known to "back you up?"If so, would that not combat diahhrea? I'm just assuming that they would also compact it(meaning it wouldn't be runny) but I could always be wrong on that...