xisto Community
TheDisturbedOne

Question Re:domain Info

Hey,Some extra points in case you are still confused :-1. Yes you can use domain privacy to hide your details from being seen. It is free and it is added during registration :)2. If you provide wrong details you are sent an email warning you about the same. And I would recommend that you add your real details as it will not be seen by anyone but you and my team.

When it shows on whois, it will say something like "Masked" right?

I think it replaces your address, name, phone number, etc... with xisto's information. At least that is what it did for me.

*Edit*

Actually nevermind that, here is the information it replaces your information with:

PrivacyProtect.orgDomain Admin (contact@privacyprotect.org)
P.O. Box 97
Note - All Postal Mails Rejected, visit Privacyprotect.org
Moergestel
null,5066 ZH
NL
Tel. +45.36946676

Edited by galexcd (see edit history)

I just realized something after it was mentioned to me, but when you customize your hosting package I do believe that if you select that ID protection for your hosting package. I do believe that will make your personal information private if you select that option, but I am not to sure about that yet unless one of those admin or velma can confirm that.

I will confirm that, yes, selecting the privacy option does, in fact, hide your personal information.

I can double confirm that after I purchase a domain this morning for a new site and I did a whois on the domain that purchase. So if you got a domain and your person information is your concerned then make sure to get the ID protection when you configure your package.

To galexcd: Does ICANN moniter every single website out there? Anyway, Xisto allows you to put information like "City: Montana" or "Address: Houston" or at least that is what BuffaloHELP said...

I can double confirm that after I purchase a domain this morning for a new site and I did a whois on the domain that purchase. So if you got a domain and your person information is your concerned then make sure to get the ID protection when you configure your package.

Is there any negatives to getting the ID protection thing? If not I don't see why they just don't make it come with the package instead of giving the choice of having it or not.

If you want to have the website up for sale ever, it will be harder to contact you.

No I don't think I will ever sell my site nor will anyone want to buy the piece of junk I call a website lol :)
In that case, if thats the only negative, I think I'll use the ID protection.

Is there any negatives to getting the ID protection thing? If not I don't see why they just don't make it come with the package instead of giving the choice of having it or not.

I am not aware of any negatives with using ID protection but I would think there are a bunch of positive reasons to use it though, such as protecting your personal information, harvesting your email from whois searches and spamming you

A. At least annually, a registrar must present to the Registrant the current WHOIS information, and remind the registrant that provision of false WHOIS information can be grounds for cancellation of their domain name registration. Registrants must review their WHOIS data, and make any corrections.
B. When registrations are deleted on the basis of submission of false contact data or non-response to registrar inquiries, the redemption grace period -- once implemented -- should be applied. However, the redeemed domain name should be placed in registrar hold status until the registrant has provided updated WHOIS information to the registrar-of-record.

3.7.7.2 A Registered Name Holder's willful provision of inaccurate or unreliable information, its willful failure promptly to update information provided to Registrar, or its failure to respond for over fifteen calendar days to inquiries by Registrar concerning the accuracy of contact details associated with the Registered Name Holder's registration shall constitute a material breach of the Registered Name Holder-registrar contract and be a basis for cancellation of the Registered Name registration.

So, if you have the wrong details, you have 15 days to correct it or your domain is likely to disappear, and you've wasted your money. The whole point of the database is that we know who is running certain websites. Hide your details and there is no way to identify you. In a dispute, there is no record you own the domain name. Another unnecessary risk.