xisto Community
Ashara

Best Martial Arts?

I don't really think there is such a thing as the best martial art. Every martial art has it's up and down sides. But if you find the right teacher and train hard you will lose weight with every martial art..I myself have been practicing karate for over seven years now, and I lost a lot of weight in the beginning, now however I'm getting the same weight back, but in the form of muscles. So you should decide what you want, because of course karate isn't the only thing I do to lose weight..I also drive to school and back home: 20 km/day as fast as I can. And at school I practice gym for 2 hours every week.As for karate I train 5-10 hours a week. Just so you might see, that if you really want to to lose weight, you should really go for it and do everything you possibly can to get it going.

I agree. I don't believe that there is a such thing as "the best martial art." But of course, I was always one to practice wrestling--yes, it is not a real martial art, but it is very demanding. Wrestling is a very demanding sport, and I think that even martial arts would have some form of it in the different styles.I've found out that as long as you have self control, discipline, and the motivation to continue with whatever you choose, then you will most likely be successful. Karate was something that interested me for a very long time, and I have read quite a few articles on it while searching for martial arts. But what I can tell you from experience, is that usually the most demanding sports/forms of training out there would help with weight loss. Wrestling has taught me a great deal about that, and even though I no longer do it, I still keep up with some habits that I have gained from practicing it. I suppose I've gone off topic a bit too much already, so I'll end my post here now.Good luck!

Pick your martial arts correctly.Here are a few suggestionsTai Quan Do helps you have strong legs and lower body. Kick boxing is good aerobic exercise as there is a lot of motion (this might be good to loose weight)Kung Fu/Karate is good if you want agility and flexibility. Since you are looking to loose weight I would suggest you to do Kick boxing. If you dont have that option then I am sure any martial art that you learn can be helpful

Before learning any martial art one must first learn the foundation of all martial arts. This is first chi kung, then tai chi. If these are ignored, all further martial art training is spiritually empty and therefore totally useless. Also if tai chi and/or chi kung are not practiced, you leave yourself open and vulnerable completely to those who have practiced and they will be able to defeat you without standing up from thier comfortable chair. In other words, they have already won.There are plenty of instructions on learning tai chi and chi kung not only all over the internet but also in bookstores, libraries and clubs. It is better to be trained by a master who already knows what to do but it is possible to teach yourself, though this way is much harder and requires far greater discipline and self control than being guided by a teacher.. If you do not know how to manipulate energy and anticipate your opponents next move then you may as well enter a drunken bar brawl and see how well you come out. Some individuals enjoy that path and that is all they will ever achieve. They may learn some karate kicks and punches but eventually they will be crushed by someone bigger and stronger.The true master doesn't ever have to fight. but if you pick a fight with him, you will be humiliated and destroyed in one instant and you will likely not even know why. :lol:

I think kickboxing would be a good way to go. That way you don't have to be concerned too much about your technique, but just punch and kick around and have a bit of fun :lol:

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

You can't really call any martial art as the "best" because there's no such thing as a perfect martial art. There will always be a lot of pros and cons. There are a lot of suggestions made here, so I'd suggest you read up on all of them and try a few and decide which one will suit you the best. Ofcourse if you try you can master most of them, but it's best to stick with just one.

Dude, if you want to lose weight while having a lot of fun in martial arts, you should definitely consider Capoeira. It's mostly a brazillian dance art which is translated into fighting. There is constant musical movement and it is largely based off of music and beats. You've got to admit, that sounds fun doesn't it? XD What I like most about it is the fact that it's not so cut throat and competitive, it's a lot more relaxed. If you aren't the most physically fit, I can almost guarantee you that the constant rhythmical movement will cut you thin in months. It's a strenuous practice, but the music and the beat help, a lot.

Go for Thai Jutsu it's straight up. and rock solid, yet swift and silent. you'll loose a lot of weight and you'll give your muscles a work-out because Thai Jutsu calls for powerful punches and kicks and has room for your own technique. it's widely used in Japan by the modern day ninjas there.

There is no best martial arts, but if you are looking to lose wieght I would recomend Taekwondo, It's something I picked up around 5 years ago and It helped me lose some extra weight that I had.

If you want to loose fat and get in a great body shape you should start take box or kickbox courses. These are aerobic and anaerobic MA so with them you will loose fat and get muscles. It's good for self defense too, you easily defend yourself in a street fight, and if you are afraid of competing you don't need to spar.I've done some boxing in my past too and I got pretty fit and lean :D

It is unclear from where kickboxing started but Muay-Thai is the best free hand martial art for self defense and street fighting. It also helps you burn huge calories and even builds you in strength. In Thai kick boxing, a person uses his heel, instep, shin, knee, fist and elbow, making the most of his body a deadly weapon.You may also consider Krav Maga, if you can arrange for a good teacher. Alternatively even boxing will help you lose a lot of weight.