xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Tran-Gate

"wifi On Steroids" Internet everywhere?

I was searching the internet and I stumbled against this paragraph of this article and did a little more research!! =)

Google announced this morning a new Web site called FreetheAirWaves.com, which promotes use of what Google calls "TV white space" -- unused frequencies in the range traditionally designated for TV channels. Google wants to transform this range from licensed, like TV (where networks are granted exclusivity to a specific channel) to unlicensed, like Wi-Fi where anyone can use it. Google executives call it "Wi-Fi on steroids."

So from my understanding, the FCC (Federal Communications Commissions) give TV channels licenses to hold a certain frequency so they don't get mixed up with other frequencies....I think.....

Ummmm......I forgot my other question.......

That sounds pretty cool. But wouldn't they have to change the frequency of all the channels to 802.11 (a/b/g/n)?And of course this isn't going to be free, right? Any idea on when/if they plan on starting this?

This sounds like a cool idea. So pretty much it would be usable literally anywhere, just as TV channels are.cemetary - if they changed the frequency it wouldn't be the same channel. For example, your TV knows the difference from channel 4, 5, and 11 because they are different frequencies.Your radio knows the difference between 103.1 and 109.3(theoretical) because they are different frequencies.Frequency is the wavelength. The higher the frequency, the longer the wavelength is.So no, they wouldn't change the frequency to 802.11.Most likely they would have their own hardware system for the WiFi access, with a monthly charge to use it, but unlike the internet we use now(excluding dial-up) we would be able to use it anywhere we want. On the road, on vacation, at home, etc.

Exactly! The wifi cards do not pick up any other wavelength signal besides 802.11, so they would have to broadcast as that.And it'd be amazing if it were free! But, that would make life to good (and we can't have that, can we?)btw. you spelled my name wrong :P

Exactly! The wifi cards do not pick up any other wavelength signal besides 802.11, so they would have to broadcast as that.And it'd be amazing if it were free! But, that would make life to good (and we can't have that, can we?)

btw. you spelled my name wrong :P

I'm confused by what you mean. It seems to me like you're saying it's possible for them to change the frequencies to 802.11 but that's not possible. If they did, it would no longer be the frequency that they are claiming is "unused." Instead, it would just be 802.11. The unused frequencies would be like 193, 183.11 or something. Just like TV's.

So they would need a new system that is set up solely to capture their new signals, and *possibly* also 802.11's signals. Aside from that there is no way they could make it work.

I kind of wonder what the speed of the internet would be like too...I could imagine it being slow if it's spread world-wide. Even my WiFi at home is slowed due to how many customers my ISP has.

I'm confused by what you mean. It seems to me like you're saying it's possible for them to change the frequencies to 802.11 but that's not possible. If they did, it would no longer be the frequency that they are claiming is "unused." Instead, it would just be 802.11. The unused frequencies would be like 193, 183.11 or something. Just like TV's.
So they would need a new system that is set up solely to capture their new signals, and *possibly* also 802.11's signals. Aside from that there is no way they could make it work.

I kind of wonder what the speed of the internet would be like too...I could imagine it being slow if it's spread world-wide. Even my WiFi at home is slowed due to how many customers my ISP has.

Well, yea, tahts what I'm saying...Our cards only pick up 802.11, So they either change the signal, or they design new cards to pick up the newly released signal...
And the speed issue...I was thinking the same thing. Especially how TV's can barely get a good signal...WAIT A MINITE! The "unused" signal is analog! Where as internet signal is digital! So how would we access a wireless network analogly (i know its not a word, but it worked) ?

They are converting all TV to digital in February, so wouldn't that mean that the unused channels would also be digital?If not, *every* channel would be unused in February anyways since they wouldn't be broadcasting on them.So that's a very good question.

That would be great if google actually did this.Maybe the conversion of t.v signals from analog to digitalhad something to do with this, I don't know. If the internet were free I could provide more foodfor my pet fish. If only the world were that perfect.

They are converting all TV to digital in February, so wouldn't that mean that the unused channels would also be digital?
If not, *every* channel would be unused in February anyways since they wouldn't be broadcasting on them.

So that's a very good question.

well from what I heard on TV of this during my local news cast, Obama is trying to move up the date of the change from Feb to June to give more time for people to have cable installed or to but converter boxes. As for a TV Freq? I can not see the FCC even allowing it myself. They they FCC has been cracking down so much on ALL BANDS, such as AM FM Radio, internet radio Even the Amature Radio bands. "ham Radio" that I honestly doubt that will ever happen.

I think it will be a reality soon. Google benefits from it. Here is how it makes money. Every time people search for content, it is an opportunity for a search engine to shove down advertisements. Just like youtube. So, google wants people to spend as much time as possible doing stuff like this.