xisto Community
gold_standard

My First Website Where can i find useful web page templates?

Hi folks,Just wondering, as a newbie website builder, where can I get some useful HTML, CSS templates suitable for building a small business website?What is the best development environment for building websites? Is there a good open source program available?, or is it best to spend some money on something like Dreamweaver?Does anyone have experience of adding databases to Xisto sites, perhaps using Wamp server?

google free html templates and there will be a ton of replies. OSWD has a good batch (oswd.org)Dreamweaver creates some terribly bloatd code. You would be better off learning to hand-code your site.No need to add any DB Servers here. Install one locally on your machine for testing is a good idea.

Well I can help you with the free web developing software part. NVU (pronounced like inview or N-view I believe) is a great free program that I have used with positive results. People compare it to Dreamweaver. I used it to make my first website with success. To get templates I just google searched, can't name any specific websites, but there are tons of options out there. Then just use NVU to edit the templates to turn it into your own website! Well, here is the URL to a download of NVU: http://download.cnet.com/Nvu/3000-10247_4-10412423.html

Edit: Oh, and another option that I haven't personally used, but have heard good thigns about is Kompozer: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Edited by Cat5e (see edit history)

http://clantemplates.com/ Provide great free gaming templates and some other templates too. Check them out!

CSS templates suitable for building a small business website?

If your looking for the plain code, so you can alter it how ever you want:
[X]

Other websites I've seen with Free CSS Templates:
[X]
[X]

is it best to spend some money on something like Dreamweaver?

At the moment Im using KompoZer which is working great for me now. I can input my own coding andinstantly see how it looks. KompoZer is a WYSIWYG HTML Editor.

If your looking for the plain code, so you can alter it how ever you want:

[X]

Other websites I've seen with Free CSS Templates:

[X]

[X]

At the moment Im using KompoZer which is working great for me now. I can input my own coding andinstantly see how it looks. KompoZer is a WYSIWYG HTML Editor.

The reason I use Dreamweaver is the potential it has. You can code worpress , Ajax and PHP scripts , Javascript and your traditional XHTML/CSS. Being a student under 18 , I purchased this for under £100. You can make anything in dreamweaver , and I don't know what I'd do without it. I know many programming languages , so Kompozer/Nvu with HTML as the only editable region make it a bit limited for me. When you code templates , it's really easy in Dreamweaver , and editing premades is even easier. If you have the money , I'd reccomend dreamweaver :)

The best way to do it all is by hand and in notepad, that's the sure-proven way to learn HTML/PHP/CSS
If you need to know something specific like "How do to design a div" etc, Google will help, learn whatever you want, none of the programs out there will help you achieve what you want, because you have a design inside your head which you want to do, why do you think there are a whole bunch of designs out there?
The best thing to learn first is how to make div designs.
Which is really easy you don't even need CSS to learn div's
Little to no styling:

<html><head></head><body><div id="left-top" style="float: left; padding-left: 25px;"><h2>Menu</h2></div><div style="clear: both;"></div><div id="left" style="float: left; padding-left: 25px;"><a href="#">Menu</a><br><a href="#">Menu</a><br><a href="#">Menu</a><br><a href="#">Menu</a><br><a href="#">Menu</a><br><a href="#">Menu</a><br><a href="#">Menu</a><br></div><div id="center-title" style="float: center; padding-left: 150px;"><h2>Main</h2></div><div id="center" style="float: center; padding-left: 150px;">Content that will be displayed.</div><div style="clear: both;"></div><div id="center-bottom" style="float: bottom; padding-left: 150px;">© My weird web designs.</div></body></html>

Make it look "cool"

<html><head></head><body bgcolor="#000033"><div id="left-top" style="float: left; padding-left: 25px; background: #003333; width: 100px; padding-top: 0px; height: 50px;"><h2>Menu</h2></div><div style="clear: both;"></div><div id="left" style="float: left; padding-left: 25px; background: #3399CC; width: 100px; padding-top: 15px;"><a href="#">Menu</a><br><a href="#">Menu</a><br><a href="#">Menu</a><br><a href="#">Menu</a><br><a href="#">Menu</a><br><a href="#">Menu</a><br><a href="#">Menu</a><br></div><div id="center-title" style="float: center; padding-left: 150px; background: #003333; width: 500px;"><h2>Main</h2></div><div id="center" style="float: center; padding-left: 150px; background: #3399CC; width: 500px; height: 300px;">Content that will be displayed.</div><div style="clear: both;"></div><div id="center-bottom" style="float: bottom; padding-left: 150px; background: #3399CC; width: 500px;">© My weird web designs.</div></body></html>

It's pretty simple, you can make div's float on top of each other by using z-index as well.

Hi folks,
Just wondering, as a newbie website builder, where can I get some useful HTML, CSS templates suitable for building a small business website?

What is the best development environment for building websites? Is there a good open source program available?, or is it best to spend some money on something like Dreamweaver?

Does anyone have experience of adding databases to Xisto sites, perhaps using Wamp server?

Well, being a newbie website builder myself, I've tried a lot of different things. This site has a ton of options for free editors. I am assuming you have Windows because of your question about Wamp servers (which I have no idea about). Kompozer is probably the most popular one because it's comparable to Dreamweaver. If you want to do it by hand, like someone mentioned before, Notepad++ is great. Personally, I use Linux. My favorite editor is Quanta+ . It works for me :) There is also Amaya which was, personally, harder to learn to use.

As for the templates, there are a ton of different sites with free web templates, all you have to do is search.

Hope that helps a little.

Hi folks,
Just wondering, as a newbie website builder, where can I get some useful HTML, CSS templates suitable for building a small business website?

What is the best development environment for building websites? Is there a good open source program available?, or is it best to spend some money on something like Dreamweaver?

Does anyone have experience of adding databases to Xisto sites, perhaps using Wamp server?

you can find many free templates.. just search the net using a search engine...

about development.. softwares you can use are eclipse, kompozer, notepad++, and texteditor...

and about the database part... you can just use the database of your own server..

Hi folks,

Search google for some helpful tips. Also, w9.com is pretty good as well. One thing I've noticed though is it is easier to just use web programs, instead of trying to make full pledged html sites by yourself. That can be very drainign and difficult, while programs take all the hardwork right out of it :)

Hi Mate,To be honest you can use a free template but find an editor that you are happy with and then just in your free tiem take it apart and recode it bit by bit,Maybe print out the code and retype it that way you learn what all the code does by prevewing it after every bit of code change, I know it may seem a long way aroud it but it is the best way to learn....I know this as this is what I did for about 6 months when i 1st started coding....But perserverence is the best quality to have... if it dont work find out why and then fix it...of course we are always here to help as a community...And if you have any specific questions you can contact me via pm mate....Regards