xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
saitunes

Turn My Computer Into A Glorified Cd Player

Well my favorite OS is Ubuntu. It is free, amazingly really fast, and secure, but I have had problems trying to play DVDs in it, but that seems to be just me. I can play CDs with ease in it, and there are several other open source programs you can download to view DVDs. You can always just download it and burn it to a live CD to try it out without even making any changes to your computer (in case any major hardware incompatibilities). If you decide to install it and encounter problems, you can always ask on their extremely forums to solve your problems. Ubuntu.com

Thanks cat5e, I like ubuntu too. But I am looking for something that just plays CDs & DVDs. I mean something that will make it Just into a CD/DVD player. I would dual boot it make the 'CD player' OS Default but have the option to boot into windows. Or does what I want not really exist?

I don't really see why you would have to use a different OS. OK, Ubuntu (Linux in other words) could achieve to do the thing you want to do, but in Windows (not that I am such a Microsoft fan, but the possibilities are there) you have (or can have if you want) all the software you need to achieve using your PC as a CD/DVD player.
You might have to do a bit of tweaking to your Startup folder (at least, that is what I seem to understand from your post, namely, that you want to boot up your PC and immediately put it to use as a CD/DVD player), but there is Windows Media Player for playing media files (including CDs and DVDs), there is a Windows XP Media Center Edition, which has a complete Media Centre to play media stuff (a bit more extensive than Windows Media Player), there are lots of excellent (and some even free) media programs, for example VLC Media Player, which can be found at this location. Once again, you would have to tweak the start-up order of your PC, but it would all be perfectly possible. So, there are a number of possibilities you could explore.

I don't really see why you would have to use a different OS. OK, Ubuntu (Linux in other words) could achieve to do the thing you want to do, but in Windows (not that I am such a Microsoft fan, but the possibilities are there) you have (or can have if you want) all the software you need to achieve using your PC as a CD/DVD player.You might have to do a bit of tweaking to your Startup folder (at least, that is what I seem to understand from your post, namely, that you want to boot up your PC and immediately put it to use as a CD/DVD player), but there is Windows Media Player for playing media files (including CDs and DVDs), there is a Windows XP Media Center Edition, which has a complete Media Centre to play media stuff (a bit more extensive than Windows Media Player), there are lots of excellent (and some even free) media programs, for example VLC Media Player, which can be found at this location. Once again, you would have to tweak the start-up order of your PC, but it would all be perfectly possible. So, there are a number of possibilities you could explore.

yes..that's correct, XP can easily do the job you want...and there is hardly any tweaking you need to do...
I know people don't like windows media player, but there are others that you can use...
VLC and GOM player can just play anything...

I see, well, i think that any OS you will use, will need some tweaking to achieve what you want. Be it Windows, Ubuntu(Linux), OSX, BeOS or whatever, I think none of them allow you to just install it and the to find magically that you boot your computer up again and, Hey Presto, it has turned into a CD/DVD player. As I said before, whatever OS you install (whether it is single or dual boot you set up) you will have to 'tell it' to use your PC as a CD?DVD player at boot up. Ie. you will have to change a number of settings for your computer to 'understand' that is what you want it to do. So, as I said, practically any OS can achieve that, but no OS is going to do that for you automatically.Good luck with your further research anyway.

Thanks for all your help. I did find something that looked like it suited my needs, geexbox. But I dont think it agrees with my graphics card/monitor. Its like its getting stuck in a loop to change the screen res. It changes it and then within a second, it tries to change it again, and again, and again. Driver problem I'd Guess.It looked perfect. But I guess like Me & Angelina Jolie, it wasn't meant to be.

Windows Vista has a great media player. Honestly, if you get the remote with it as well it would make a great media player. I like being able to control my music and videos while laying on my bed or in another room. Along with this, it has the built in functions for tv/cable and to send the signal to other rooms of your house.