xisto Community
minimcmonkey

Time Travel - An Impossibility? Is time travel possible? Will we ever manage it? What are the dangers?

Time Travel  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't know if you guys know the tale of John Titor — an alleged time traveler who appeared in 2000 and 2001 and claimed to came from the year of 2036. I mentioned him because you asked for a time traveler who (according to some) came to our time :P (official page) (wiki)

Well my opinion on time travel by going in the past is possible, but it's not possible to change anything in the past and for it to reflect to the time you are living in, something like the multi-universe theory (which explains the grandfather paradox). But, I don't think that it'll happen anyways soon (in a relative manner) — it'll happen for 300-400 years or so...

And time travel by going to the future is something that is more to believe in, because traveling with speeds faster than the light, or going to live on other bigger planets where you'll stay relatively younger and coming back to the Earth will find many grand-children and really old relatives :P

Me, I'd really like to time travel, especially in the future because I think it'll be more fun and I'll learn more things than going back to the times that were past.

Edited by miladinoski (see edit history)

Well, actually, time travel is obviously a fact. We are traveling through time right now. Time is the 4th dimension, the other 3 being height, width, and depth. And, to a degree we can theoretically control the speed at which we travel through the 4th dimension. As I stated, and miladinoski re-iterated, by moving quickly through the first 3 dimensions you can theoretically slow your progression through the 4th dimension.

Well, actually, time travel is obviously a fact. We are traveling through time right now. Time is the 4th dimension, the other 3 being height, width, and depth. And, to a degree we can theoretically control the speed at which we travel through the 4th dimension. As I stated, and miladinoski re-iterated, by moving quickly through the first 3 dimensions you can theoretically slow your progression through the 4th dimension.

Well you are completely right, just it still can't be prove that time is actually the 4th dimension — which may be easy to prove after a time machine is built. But that's a whole another topic, and as always available on Xisto forums :P

See you there :P

rpgseacherz, that's a nice theory, however it's kind of hard to argue. How can you prove or disprove that theory (Which is called solipsism, the idea that everyone's reality is independant of another's) Either way, I am talking about physically travelling through time. Time, physically speaking, isn't something that is percieved by humans, but is something that is measured. (of course, that assumes that time physically exists. There's still no agreed upon way to define time, as far as I know)
adriantic: Your idea is actually pretty farfetched XD You see, the speed of lht is the theoretical speed limit of the universe. Electro magnetic waves all travel at the speed of light, and theoretically the fastest matter can move is approaching, butnever reaching the speed of light. What you are thinking of is called the (I think) Twin Theory, although you butchered it a bit XD. The closer you are moving to the speed of light, the slower time will pass. The Tiwn Theory states that if two twins are born, and one is put in a spaceship going close to the speed of light and the other stays on earth, in 20 earth years, the one on earth will be 20 years older, but the other will not have aged as much. Now, this is just a thoery mind you.

As far as I know faster-then-light travel is already possible. From Wikipedia Speed Of Light article [here]
:

"However, there are many physical situations in which speeds greater than c are encountered." [c=299,792,458 meters per second]. However isn't not matter going faster then light: "Some of these situations involve entities that actually travel faster than c in a particular reference frame but none involves either matter, energy, or information traveling faster than light."

And I do remember an experiment where they accelerated a particle (I think) beyond the speed of light. A particle without mass maybe. I know about this theory and as far as I have heard it's more then a theory. For an astronaut in orbit time passed differently (slowly) then for people on Earth. The difference is very very small - less then thousands of a second - a difference only theoretical not measurable in practice.And there are also the wormholes which allow faster then light travel. It's faster than light to an external observer, but slower than light locally. Everything is relative!
I wouldn't look to the speed of light as a constant forever. Science has a habit of making old theories obsolete. Maybe in 100 years somebody smarter then Einstein will find another theory which will completely change our point of view over the speed of light.

A huge question I have now is...Why would we want to travel through time anyways?Obviously we would not be able to ever go into the past. If we could, it would shape the future. Thereby it's a definite impossibility.So the only thing that you could do is go into the future. But for what? To destroy any suprises that you may have? To test out various ways of dealing with situations to see which one is the best?Or is it solely for the knowledge of knowing that you did something that nobody else did?I just, personally, can not think of how I would use time travel to begin with. The only possibility I am capable of justifying would be to show off that I did the "impossible." Aside from that, nothing.

A huge question I have now is...Why would we want to travel through time anyways?
Obviously we would not be able to ever go into the past. If we could, it would shape the future. Thereby it's a definite impossibility.

So the only thing that you could do is go into the future. But for what? To destroy any suprises that you may have? To test out various ways of dealing with situations to see which one is the best?

Or is it solely for the knowledge of knowing that you did something that nobody else did?

I just, personally, can not think of how I would use time travel to begin with. The only possibility I am capable of justifying would be to show off that I did the "impossible." Aside from that, nothing.

It's hard to NOT imagine a use for time travel. The main use would be to change history. Pick a point in time, a point where things started to go wrong and fix them. Kill Hitler before the got to power or even before he was born. Or why not make sure there are is Dark Age. The problem is that fixing one problem might generate another, even one bigger then the first. Some may call that unchangeable destiny. See the movie The Butterfly Effect for details!
Another one would be history research. You wouldn't need to actually change the time line, just watch history as it happens. Imagine watching the life of Alexander The Great and finally deciding is he was killed of not or finding our where his body is. Imagine watching Jesus on the cross and finding out if he really is the Son of God. Or imagine seeing Napoleon at Waterloo in flesh and bones. Or finally discovering the truth behind 9/11. Imagine the countless mysteries of history finally unraveled. The possibilities are truly endless!
Imagine what great power we would have, far beyond our current nuclear power. If it would be possible controlling time would surely be an epic point in our evolution. And just like with nuclear power, it may also turn out that time travel can be used as a weapon.

..."Happiness today is the anticipation of tommorow"I agree that we might only be able to go forward in time. Despite the fact that it would very cool to see what lies ahead...wheres the fun in that? Why would I want to go forward in time to see what ruins my day tomorrow? I'd rather just find out what ruins my when it happens! That's the fun and amusement of it!By the way, I love how this turned into, "can it be done?" to "why would it be done?" :P

lol, "Why would it be done" would be a completely different discussion XD (Oh, and if any of you jerks change my past I'll kick you in the face :P )As far as can it be done? I kind of doubt it. At this time, I think it's gonna stay in the sci-fi stories.

..."Happiness today is the anticipation of tommorow"I agree that we might only be able to go forward in time. Despite the fact that it would very cool to see what lies ahead...wheres the fun in that? Why would I want to go forward in time to see what ruins my day tomorrow? I'd rather just find out what ruins my when it happens! That's the fun and amusement of it!
By the way, I love how this turned into, "can it be done?" to "why would it be done?" :P

If I could travel in time I wouldn't go forward a day or two or ten or twenty years! I would go 100 years or 200 years into the feature. Maybe even a thousand years. I would like to see not my future, but everybodies future. I would like to see what happens to mankind and to this planet. I would go for the long run... That would really be interesting, not my "tomorrow" future. I will live to see tomorrow, but I won't live a thousand years... Maybe I would go forward even more then a thousand years - like in "The Time Machine" - to see how we will evolve or who will replace us as a species.

If you're asking me, time goes to one direction only, and that's an impossible thing to change. You think you would be able to visit yourself in the childhood one day? Think again. If you would of done that, you would of have already lived it(you would remember some older man saying weird things while you were a kid). But, maybe some day...

I think time travel could be possible, but maybe somewhere in the future, lets give it 1 million years. By then, humans would probably move on to other planets, other galaxies, who knows?But there are many laws of physics and science that are preventing this from happening, for one, time is moving at constant speed. I dont think you will be able to step into that dimension. Lets say if we do. We will probably be stuck. Yep. Lets say if we do travel there... how are we going to get back? Anyone ever thought of that?Also, lets say that we do get to travel back in time. and we do get stuck. Who would know if time travel was possible? The only way to do that is to contact to the future, in which you cant because that technology does not exist now. All we know is that we, humans, know that we are in the present in our perspective. Maybe something out there DOES exist, and maybe its present for them but future for us. What if a rip in time happens? Anyone ever thought of that? What if we form a blackhole just because of 'trying' to get to the past, or the future? That would be quite possible. Also, wouldn't there be laws on this sort of thing? Even if we had the power to do this, wouldn't we stop anyone from having the power to do this? Is this the right thing to do? Is this what god wanted us to be able to do? I say no. Destiny is destiny, time is time, and every living creature for the past whenever has had to put up with past, present, and future. These are one of the things that we aren't ment to do.So, lets say that we do... we can travel back in time without any problems. Peple can travel back and forth. What about those who want mass chaos and destruction? What about those who want to have all the power? Wont they get a hold of this technology? You bet'cha. They'll be the first oneswho will try to have this technology for their own good use.

"The Time Machine",I like this movie!hehe!But,i think time travel is an impossibility.If it come true,the world will get ball-up.If i do something bad or feel not good,i could go back to the past,and do it again.It's just a joke,or a fantasy.I think so.People should work hard,and not fancy such thing.Just my opinion,hehe:)

Time Travel....Time Travel - An Impossibility?I thought you might be open to read something that I have read a couple of times. Its about a self proclaimed "time traveller" named John Titor. The link I am putting on here is from 2001 (a few months before 9/11/2001). He was only on line for a year I believe.. Something I found interesting about this person was that these forums were removed completely, we the public only have access to it because people had saved copies of the discussion on their computers.Its a long transcript but very INCREDIBLE... Some of the things he talks about are happening right now...Heres the link :http://www.anomalies.net/did-a-former-coast-guard-sailor-have-an-encounter-with-humanoid-creature-or-a-human-breakways-autec/ love to hear what you thought about this...Peace Love and UnderstandingKells